Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Ultrasonic rodent devices.

I went to Sam's and bought a set of 6 of these things, and I put all six in the bus since it is powered up all of the time.

Hopefully this should drive them completely insane and they will move out. I'll be checking for droppings for the next couple days to see how well it worked!

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
We have an unltrasonic pest control that we have had for years. Works pretty good. Used it FL and it helped keep the roaches at bay. Have had one hooked up in this house ever since we bought it (7 yrs ago). Never had rat problem inside house (living space) but have trouble with squirrels deciding the attic is a good place to store the black walnuts (never more than a few nuts as squirrels forget about them).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Squirrels and Walnuts

When I was about 11 my parents rented a farmhouse in western Indiana. The husband of a lady that my mom was in college with was a farmer, and he rented/farmed the 500 acres of land, but the owners rented the house out separately. On the property was an old tenant house that was in salvageable condition, but abandoned an not used. In the yard of the tenant house was a black walnut tree that took 2 adults and three kids holding hands to get their arms around. One Fall we picked up something like 30 bags of black walnuts, still in the husk, from around that tree. We spread the walnuts out on the floor of the tenant house to let them dry so that the husks would fall off. When we came back in the Spring there were ZERO nuts in the house! The squirrels (and possibly the 'coons) had made off with the entire lot.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
Bus Nut

My neighboor has a black walnut tree like that. Every fall about this time it fills the corner of my yard a few inches deep with the nuts. I get so sick of mowing over them, they really bust up the blade. Last year I collected them and my wife made some awsome cookies with them. The other day I was digging through the garage and found a box of them I was letting cure and forgot about. They molded so I am not going to eat them, they do burn well in the woodstove though.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I know everybody will think I am nuts but I can hear those pest repellers. A few years ago we went to my aunts house for thanksgiving. As soon as I opened my car door I could hear a loud high pitch ringing sound. It sounded like it was coming from all directions. It really was hurting my head, my wife thought I was nuts. I could even hear it in my aunts house. After a few hours of hearing it I had one bad headache. I asked everybody at the table if they could hear it and of course they all thought I was nuts also. Then my aunt told me she has an ultrasonic pest repeller and said she would turn it off. She went outside and unplugged it and sure enough that is what it was. Now I am known as bug ears.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
When I was a kid I could hear the whine from an electrical outlet in my parents house. My folks thought I was nuts (so did I). I was in High School and I got into an Electronics class. I told my electronics teacher that something was making a high pitched whine in one of his electronic test equipment. Turned out it was something going bad (and he knew it). He said some people could hear certain pitches that others couldn't. Spent the entire class period (3 hrs) that day having to listen to a pile of his equipment. He thought it was fun. Those big power lines drive me nuts too. (Short trip).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:02 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

The only sound I could hear coming from them was short clicks. However I could feel pressure on my ears and I don't think I could stand being in the bus with those things turned on for hours without getting a severe headache. Hopefully it effects the mice even more than it does me.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

So far I don't think that they have moved out, but I haven't seen any sign of them having been on the table, counter, or any other surface where they would have been completely exposed to the sound from one of the devices.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:12 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Okay its official these devices will NOT drive mice out of your bus and in fact I don't think they really much of anything at all except for maybe the first couple days.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:12 PM   #10
Bus Nut

They will drive me out of your bus though.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
They keep insects out of my garage.

I also have 2 mouse repellers. One is a tiny black shorthair maned Vierna, one is a 30lb Maine Coon named Maya.

And the big one (Maya) is on my l;ap sleeping.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:40 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

I thought about getting a bus cat to take care of the problem but I would always have to be out there vaccuuming up cat hair.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Get a himalayan, They are long hair but the hair grows in such a way that they only shed when you brush them (which you must do twice a week) My frey doesn't shed a bit outside the brush.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:31 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
I brush Maya about once a week in the winter, twice that often in summer, and about every other day in the spring. Every time, I have enough hair for three more cats.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:14 PM   #15
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
I have heard that dryer sheets like Bounce work to keep rodents out. I have friends who swear by them and load their cars with them before putting them in winter storage. Anyone else hear of this? If nothing else, your vehicle will smell springtime fresh
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #16
Almost There

I use Bounce sheets , works great . I never have had any rodent damage to any of my vehicles since I started using them. I used them in my 28' 5th wheel camping trailer that sat a lot ( was a pain to use for quick getaways ). I have 14 vehicles right now including my 2 1988 IH/Bluebirds, and all of them contain the bounce sheets. In the spring you don't even need to get too serious about finding the old ones, they smell good and keep the vehicles from getting that "old vehicle " smell.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:25 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Why do those things work, i would think the mice would use them to make a nice comfy bed!
Old 11-06-2004, 11:43 PM   #18
Almost There

Since ya asked....... I dunno for sure, so to find the answer I went to a search engine and found a bunch of other uses and information, have a look around and you'll find stuff like

"I was forwarded an e-mail this morning that announced bounce laundry sheets (anti static) were being used by the US postal service as a repellant for yellow jackets and bees. They are carrying them in their pockets. It also said that bounce repels ants and mosquitos. This was a timely e-mail as this week the first confirmed case of West Nile disease was found in a dead crow in our area"
"I performed an experiment. Yesterday I had lifted a pot and found a huge gathering of ants beneath it. This morning I took a bounce dryer sheet and once again lifted the pot. I put the dryer sheet down and within 10 minutes there wasn't an ant in sight.
I'm thinking if bounce laundry sheets were placed under the four feet of a bed and in the creases of furniture it might work better than dusting DE in the house. It wouldn't hurt experimenting to see if those suffering from animal or bird mites get relief from placing bounce dryer sheets in strategic locations in the house. Call it a group experiment. It also wouldn't hurt to use bounce in the dryer and see if besides the anti-static/wrinkle benefits it provides repellant action. Rubbing clothes down with a sheet before going outside might be a good idea. No one in our family has ever had a skin reaction to bounce, but Borax has caused severe skin reactions. "

I'm still not sure what it is , but the stuff is nearly as usefull as WD 40 it seems !