Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #21
Skoolie

I am noticing since the upgrade...let me put that in quotes "UPGRADE" my wifi constantly needs reset...
me wonders if it is coincident...

c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
I use a mobile "hotspot" for internet and I had many problems with it just dropping from 4G to "E" or 2G causing me to have to go outside and wave the little sucker around till it found a 4G sat.

On Win7 I had to restart my computer probably 2 or 3 times every hour, since getting on Win10 I haven't had to restart even once.

My PC and service "seem" to be much more stable.

Go figure, the opposite of what your going thru.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
I build my own PC's and had an xp computer for 7 years virus free. went to windows 8 and hated the **** out of it, downgraded to windows 7 on my new custom pc and love it, just a bit more updated but will never replace good ol' XP.
X2

We had a forced upgrade to new Win 7 PCs at work a few months ago. XP was great, never, ever crashed, and I could work quickly. I had links to commonly used programs and local and network files on the taskbar, never the desktop (which is usually buried). I can still put programs there, but now if I try to put files there Win 7 only remembers Windows Explorer without the location.

The outside contractor swapping the machines copied my "documents" files to the new machine, but the new PC chose to not copy all the files in every folder. I hid my old hard drive from the shredder, and with it installed in an external enclosure I can hunt there for files I know I once had but are lost.

I now spend half of my productive time searching for files that Win 7 hid on me, or hovering over trees of folders that don't stay open unless you right-click on them. The PC creates duplicate folders of the same name, one in "Documents" and another in "My Documents," but though my files are usually duplicated, they are not always in both. I can be heard multiple time per day saying out loud, "I hate Windows 7."

I have used Basic, several versions of DOS, Win 95, Win 98 Second Edition, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows 7. XP followed by 98-SE are my favorites. I would rather use Vista (ugh!) and deal with all the crashes every day than use Win 7. I can't imagine trying to re-program my brain for Windows 10.

Maybe I should join the Navy, if I weren't too old. I understand they have a "secret" contract with Microsoft for ongoing Windows XP support as a stable platform for their critical systems.

Disclaimer: I am an quickly becoming an old phart. I know MS is trying to make PCs look like tablets that look like smartphones in a unified universe. But I'm not seeking to keep up with Facebook or Twitter feeds. While it's sometimes nice to get emails on a BlackBerry when out of the office, I would go back to my company flip phone if I could.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #24
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
one word. linux!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #25

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I am using Ubuntu 14.4 on two laptops. I run into the occasional issue that I need to work through like needing to install Google Chrome so I could watch Netflix.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Redbear, you didn't mention Win3.1 I even tried 3.11 I looked over Linux Mint's site and think I may go back. I really enjoyed the simplicity and everything worked. My only issue was with skype but I heard that is fixed.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
We had a rainy weekend here so I decided to try to do a clean install of Win 10 over the upgrade version. It went pretty well so if there's any interest I'll post up the process.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #28
Site Team

Coachwork: ward
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
Redbear, you didn't mention Win3.1 I even tried 3.11 I looked over Linux Mint's site and think I may go back. I really enjoyed the simplicity and everything worked. My only issue was with skype but I heard that is fixed.
lots of things have been fixed in linux, even the ability to see file structures on iphone/pod/tablet!!! and ya still dont need anti-virus or malware junk.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
I quite like my Android tablet. Occasionally I might use my 2007 macbook but that's rare now. Windows? Haven't used it since vista came out.
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

My biggest gripe with Win 10 is that I lost my Win 7 "time waster" games - solitaire, chess and mahjong. Never to fear, I found the identical games for Win 8/8.1 and Win 10. Unlike half the files I download this installer had no viruses and installed the games just fine.

Windows-7-Games-For-Windows-8-8.1-32-and-64-bit
Old 08-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Latest finding re: win10

Found that I can change the font size per window. I keep Skoolies set at 150% zoom so it's easier to read. I have to drop my game site King.com down to 100% for it to fit the screen.

Win7 I had to change the font each time I went from one window to the next. With Win10 I can permanently set up each independently.

I also learned yesterday that I can write on my screen. Unfortunately I don't have a touch screen so my handwriting with the mouse reminds me of my days years ago learning how to write my name on an etch-a-sketch. At least I can just choose to erase it and don't have to turn my laptop upside down & shake it

Each & every day I find something new that I'm really liking.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #32
Bus Nut

I'm sticking with Android and osx.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
W-10 alraedy has an update with no real details but it is not labeled as a security update.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
W-10 alraedy has an update with no real details but it is not labeled as a security update.
Expect lots of updates in the next few months. I'm still getting updates to my win7 system 4 years after it's launch.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:30 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Android gets constant software updates that do nothing but bog the system down. Osx gets hardly any because apple gets it right first time.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:11 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
As far as "THEM" watching me & tracking me and counting my keystrokes. Come on boys & girls, if your not doing anything wrong then you shouldn't give a rats azz who's watching you.
"If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" - Joseph Goebbels (Nazi Minister of Enlightenment and Propaganda 1933-1945)

It sure worked out great for the jews under that tyranny didn't it?

There are multiple examples where mass surveillance/control have resulted tyranny and genocide.

While you may be a good hearted person who has no will to dominate and dehumanize your fellow humans, there are those who will stop at nothing to attain total control.

What other purpose could such a system serve? The only logical conclusion is that this control grid is designed as a system of total control. Whistleblower and former Technical Director at NSA William Binny has said as much on multiple occasions.

Windows 10 is a giant trojan horse system. Are you aware that the entire contents of your hard drive will be uploaded to microsoft's cloud? Do you trust that there will never be a breach of this system? Are you ok with the entire contents of your computer being available on the internet?

We must all oppose widows 10 and our loss of freedom through the elimination of our privacy. The 4th amendment is still the law of the land despite some faulty court opinions. It was the courts opinion that blacks could be held as slaves and that those who performed poorly in school could be forcibly sterilized. Their OPINIONS on law are just opinions. Only congress can make law and it must adhere to our Declaration of Independence and Constitution including the bill of rights.
75GMCCadet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:21 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Godwin's law, it came true everyone!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
Old 09-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i'm lovin win10!!!!

8.1 was a joke, this is much more like win7
Old 09-22-2015, 05:27 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank's P-O-S View Post
Godwin's law, it came true everyone!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
Not really. I wasn't familiar with this "law" but after reading the provided wiki I see that the rule does not apply to what was said.

From wiki page;
'The law and its corollaries would not apply to discussions covering known mainstays of Nazi Germany such as genocide, eugenics, or racial superiority, nor, more debatably, to a discussion of other totalitarian regimes or ideologies'

Is a surveillance state not a mainstay of Nazi Germany?

If you don't care about this thats fine but at least understand what is being done with your data. Trust Microsoft and the government at you own peril.
75GMCCadet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:40 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Since I took the plunge to upgrade to Win10 I decided this was a good time to upgrade my PC too.

My old Gateway is only 5 years old and has had a rough life. We actually had to bring her back from the dead a few years ago and she just hasn't been the same since.

We've gotten along fine, I can handle slow (don't we all get that way as we get older?). I hated or should I say have always wanted a backlit keyboard so when this HP 17 in with 1T of storage came up as a "todays special" I jumped on it.

I was sooooooo tired of having to shine a light on her or tilt the screen to see what I'm typing. Along with the wireless mouse I picked up I'm in love.