Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #21
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 358
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Nothing I've seen in this thread has been anything other than explaining exactly how corrupt the system is and why the boyfriend needs to say nothing....NOTHING.... just as his attorney has advised.
Personally, I wouldn't associate with anyone who doesn't understand just how fast the most simple of innocent statements can put an innocent person in a cage.
Here's a really scary FACT. There are so many crimes on the books that it is LITERALLY impossible for ANYONE (this includes the people in charge of enforcing those crimes) to know what those crimes are and therefore impossible to ensure you haven't committed some misdemeanor or felony that the state can then use to violently take your freedom.
We have a guitar made in the 1800's. There is some "endangered species" wood in it that a modern law has prohibited from being imported or exported but also specifically exempts wood that was harvested prior to the law. Yet if I try to export our EXEMPT FROM THE LAW guitar without three separate permits from two different executive agencies, they'll seize the guitar and charge me with federal crimes until I prove I'm innocent.
That's unacceptable, and the entire reason why people can no longer talk to the police about anything without risking their freedom and their lives.

__________________
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, that we can now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing.
The United States Marines, America's 911 force -- 6531, 3521 '79-'99
Retired mech (auto/aviation), Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:28 AM   #22
Bus Nut
 
ISAF2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Bay area
Posts: 285
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
I would never go on a trip with you either, not because of your opinions but because you are from the internet and I have never met you. Like it or not our justice system puts people in tragic situations where they have to make Amoral choices. This does not mean they are Amoral people. Pragmatism sucks sometimes. I cannot say wether or not this is one of those situations and refuse to lay judgement other than to say he should listen to his attorney and that our justice system stonewalls people sometimes. WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT THOSE STATEMENTS?
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #23
Bus Nut
 
s2mikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NM USA KD6WJG
Posts: 858
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I am bumping this to keep it at the top of the list.

I read about this on BBC news this morning.

I hope she is found.

william
I'm doing the same.
__________________
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
” George Carlin
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #24
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 9
Exclamation RIP Gabby Petito

Gabby Petito found dead in Grand Teton. Cause of death unknown at this time according to the FBI

Really devastated at this and just wanted to update those who might be looking out for her. Please keep her family in your thoughts.
ecoglitt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #25
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 268
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Hopefully, nature didn't destroy all of the forensic evidence. This time of year, it doesn't take very long.
Sad for the people in her family/life.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #26
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,201
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
"They" really need to find his a$$ now.

Most likely he went into the Florida swamps and "offed" himself, taking all of the reasoning for her death away from her family and the world.

Hope I'm wrong, and she died of "natural causes" out in Wyoming, and he's so distraught over her untimely death he just needs to get away from the media/world to mend his psyche, but it's doubtful...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:06 PM   #27
Bus Nut
 
ISAF2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Bay area
Posts: 285
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
I pray for the family, I also pray for swift apprehension.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #28
Bus Crazy
 
WIbluebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,234
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Her body has apparently been found, fyi.

I agree with some of the posters here, the boyfriend has zero reason to come forward at this time. Autopsy will likely give a better picture of what happened out there.

No point to jumping to conclusions at this time.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #29
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 358
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoglitt3r View Post
Gabby Petito found dead in Grand Teton. Cause of death unknown at this time according to the FBI
There is no confirmation reported. It's likely but nothing that has been publicly released confirms it's her. High odds since the family has been notified but NOT a done deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISAF2009 View Post
I pray for the family, I also pray for swift apprehension.
"Apprehension"? Did you notice "no cause of death known"? The cops, who are obviously out of control (warrant served and some of the cops were guns drawn when there was ZERO indication of any danger at that residence let alone danger sufficient to justify employing deadly force), are searching for the MISSING boyfriend........ Oh wait, you mean they were lying about him only being a "person of interest"?


Also, if you have any kind of dealings that rely on your ability to access your files and data you should take steps to have that data backed up daily at most at an offsite location. Now days every search warrant includes vague wording that allows them to seize ANY AND ALL computing and data storage devices. Your phones, Ipads, tablets, computers, audio recorders, portable hard drives, thumb drives, EVERYTHING with a memory. Cause, you know, there might just be a tidbit in there. And that tidbit might or might not be related to the case for which the warrant was issued but you'd better believe they'll try to use it as "leverage".
Those parents have now had all of their digital devices seized, they're also most likely being looked at for charges like "obstruction", whether true or not, for not being able to rat out their son the moment cops wanted them to.
Now, to be clear, I don't hate cops, I hate the system. Cops are just a part of the corrupt system. Another major part of that corrupt system is the inability of most Americans to realize that their own rights are diminished when they advocate for the rights of others, like the boyfriend, to be diminished in the name of expediency or even just satisfying their morbid curiosity.
__________________
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, that we can now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing.
The United States Marines, America's 911 force -- 6531, 3521 '79-'99
Retired mech (auto/aviation), Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #30
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 268
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
you "Don't hate cops, you hate the system"

Surely you have some solutions to correct this corrupt system.
Our system may not be perfect....but it's a lot better than most.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #31
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,201
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Whether he should talk to law enforcement or not is not the first thing he and or his family members should be thinking about IF he was truly in love and in a loving relationship with the young lass. Especially IF he did nothing to cause or hasten her demise.

There really is no reasonable excuse he can give at this point in time, so he'd better keep clammed up if he values his liberty outside of a gray walled cage.

Autopsy scheduled for tomorrow, so we'll see what comes of that???
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:58 PM   #32
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Near Flagstaff AZ
Posts: 1,069
I don't, personally, agree with so much of the anti-police sentiment being expressed here. But, I will say that the boyfriend's actions have definitely cast suspicion upon him from early on in this ordeal. I agree that, as a suspect, he would be advised to not speak with the police. It might have been less suspicious if he'd reported her missing at the time, but his story would most likely have not held up. Considering the circumstances, as we have heard them, it would have been hard for him to avoid being a suspect.

I do take issue with the "cops are out of control" statement, all because the officers had their weapons drawn during the execution of a search warrant. That's normal procedure and wise, not a sign that they're out of control, especially when investigating a possible murder. You may not understand why that happened, but your assertion that it's a sign the officers were "out of control" is absolutely wrong. How about we turn our frustration and anger towards the person who *may* have some role in the apparent death of a vibrant young lady...and not towards the officers and detectives who are trying to bring closure to this case and who have, thus far, not committed any wrongs that we know of. Unless, of course, we want to just cast judgment on all of them. I seem to remember that's wrong to do, though...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #33
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 358
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
We will just have to disagree on whether police in this nation are out of control. As a criminal justice scholar, I have seen far too many statistics and case studies that back up my position. As an activist who follows the law, I have also seen far too many cases in which officers violate the law with impunity committing crimes varying from battery to deprivation of rights to outright murder. A few hours on YouTube can produce thousands of such instances (though murders aren't as common as rights deprivation).


We will also have to disagree on the proper actions of the boyfriend (aka prime suspect number one by default). My position is based in logic, the law, and how the system "works". Positions based on feelings are, unfortunately, far too common and far too naive in today's environment.


If the police are talking to you there is one thing that is absolutely the case and one thing that is probably happening. In the first instance, there is nothing you can say that can be good for you and everything you say can be twisted to bad. This is true even when you think you're helping them with some other thing. BECAUSE, they are (second thing) probably lying to you. They're allowed to do that but god help you if lie to them or get a simple fact wrong (like what time did you leave the house last Tuesday).
__________________
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, that we can now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing.
The United States Marines, America's 911 force -- 6531, 3521 '79-'99
Retired mech (auto/aviation), Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:47 PM   #34
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Near Flagstaff AZ
Posts: 1,069
Yes...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I can do that. As a retired police officer, who spent 20 years in a major city, I probably have a different perspective than you and I might have a bit more knowledge about police tactics and what it takes to help ensure that I got home safely every night. You have every right to be judgmental and post derisive comments about a group of people, without considering your audience and without any regard for polite behavior. Personally, though, I'll refrain from judging an entire group based on the actions of a small percentage of bad examples. Be well...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:01 PM   #35
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fraser Valley British Columbia
Posts: 1,008
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Yes...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I can do that. As a retired police officer, who spent 20 years in a major city, I probably have a different perspective than you and I might have a bit more knowledge about police tactics and what it takes to help ensure that I got home safely every night. You have every right to be judgmental and post derisive comments about a group of people, without considering your audience and without any regard for polite behavior. Personally, though, I'll refrain from judging an entire group based on the actions of a small percentage of bad examples. Be well...
Thanks Ross for sharing that, I wish more people could see and understand what most police officers have to deal with on a daily basis. Yes there are bad cops out there but I believe it's a very small percentage. I've had dealings with both but the positives have far outweighed the negatives and I wouldn't wish on anyone what they have to experience.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:56 AM   #36
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 268
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Thanks Ross for sharing that, I wish more people could see and understand what most police officers have to deal with on a daily basis. Yes there are bad cops out there but I believe it's a very small percentage. I've had dealings with both but the positives have far outweighed the negatives and I wouldn't wish on anyone what they have to experience.
I second that.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Texas
Posts: 21
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71
The body found has been confirmed as Gabby Petito. Preliminary findings look like homicide. Laundrie is still missing after taking a pack and going hiking.

I also read that the last few texts from Gabby to her mother are strange. Gabby asked her mom if she could help Stan because he kept calling and leaving messages. Stan is Gabby's grandfather and she doesn't refer to him as Stan. The last text message was about not getting good cell service.
UpShinnCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:55 PM   #38
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,301
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
So they determined she was strangled. As far as where he is, I don't believe he is hiking the Appalachian Trail. What no one mentioned after interviewing the guy who supposedly talked to him on the trail in NC was that they guy said Laundrie was driving a tan F-150. If that's the case, why are they looking for a hiker. I don't think it was him. He is was thinking smartly he would head for the Mexican boarder, best place to hide right now. As far as the debit card charge, they will need to prove they didn't share the account and didn't have her previous permission to take money. That charge will go away now that they can get him for murder.
__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #39
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 358
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
So they determined she was strangled. As far as where he is, I don't believe he is hiking the Appalachian Trail. What no one mentioned after interviewing the guy who supposedly talked to him on the trail in NC was that they guy said Laundrie was driving a tan F-150. If that's the case, why are they looking for a hiker. I don't think it was him. He is was thinking smartly he would head for the Mexican boarder, best place to hide right now. As far as the debit card charge, they will need to prove they didn't share the account and didn't have her previous permission to take money. That charge will go away now that they can get him for murder.

You mentioned nothing about evidence that HE strangled her only that she had been strangled and with no approximate date (which can be set fairly closely based upon entomologic and other methods). Remember, she's not the only one that's gone missing out there including a number of recent murders.
As he left before any warrants were issued, there is no evidence that he's even aware there is a warrant for him.
The system is innocent until PROVEN guilty. There may be some evidence that's not been released or that has and I haven't seen BUT getting a warrant or a grand jury indictment is a whole lot easier and a lot lower standard that the Beyond Reasonable Doubt standard for a conviction.
__________________
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, that we can now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing.
The United States Marines, America's 911 force -- 6531, 3521 '79-'99
Retired mech (auto/aviation), Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:25 PM   #40
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,301
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
You mentioned nothing about evidence that HE strangled her only that she had been strangled and with no approximate date (which can be set fairly closely based upon entomologic and other methods). Remember, she's not the only one that's gone missing out there including a number of recent murders.
As he left before any warrants were issued, there is no evidence that he's even aware there is a warrant for him.
The system is innocent until PROVEN guilty. There may be some evidence that's not been released or that has and I haven't seen BUT getting a warrant or a grand jury indictment is a whole lot easier and a lot lower standard that the Beyond Reasonable Doubt standard for a conviction.
There's no evidence he committed credit card fraud either.
Do you honestly think he will not be charged for the murder? We could assume that if he's innocent, he may not know she's dead and there's warrants out for him, but that is highly unlikely. As for the not the only one gone missing, you're right, this case is not different than 2300 other missing person cases reported every day. I can't understand why this case gets the big publicity other than to detract from the mess the Pres has us in.
__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.