Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #1

Van Lifer Missing - Please Share

Gabby Petito, a female van lifer and vlogger, is missing. Last know location was in Salt Lake City, Utah, on August 25th. She also called her family from Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming the day after. She was traveling with her boyfriend, who returned back to their home in Florida, alone, in Gabby’s van. He did not report her missing, although he knew she was gone for two weeks. He instead immediately got a lawyer and refused to talk to the police. The two had a documented domestic dispute in Utah, where it was revealed that he tried to abandon her once before. Searches are being organized in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. Please read this article for more information!! If there’s any chance you’ve seen her or have more information please use the contact information in the article to report it. I hope her family finds her and whatever happened to her comes to light.

Picture of her attached. She’s 5’5” with several tattoos on her arms and hands

ecoglitt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
missing......

I am bumping this to keep it at the top of the list.

I read about this on BBC news this morning.

I hope she is found.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoglitt3r View Post
Gabby Petito, a female van lifer and vlogger, is missing. Last know location was in Salt Lake City, Utah, on August 25th. She also called her family from Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming the day after. She was traveling with her boyfriend, who returned back to their home in Florida, alone, in Gabby’s van. He did not report her missing, although he knew she was gone for two weeks. He instead immediately got a lawyer and refused to talk to the police. The two had a documented domestic dispute in Utah, where it was revealed that he tried to abandon her once before. Searches are being organized in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. Please read this article for more information!! If there’s any chance you’ve seen her or have more information please use the contact information in the article to report it. I hope her family finds her and whatever happened to her comes to light.

Picture of her attached. She’s 5’5” with several tattoos on her arms and hands
https://wsvn.com/news/local/report-f...rian-laundrie/

MIAMI-WSVN NEWS STORY

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP/WSVN) — Police video shows a Florida woman who disappeared during a cross-country journey in a converted camper van had an emotional fight with her boyfriend in a Utah tourist town before she vanished.

A police report obtained by Fox 13 from the Moab Police Department in Utah details a call officers responded to on Aug. 12.

The video released by the Moab Police Department shows that an officer pulled over the van on Aug. 12 after it was seen speeding and hit a curb near the entrance to Arches National Park.

Inside was Brian Laundrie and his girlfriend, Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito, who was reported missing by her family a month later and is now the subject of a nationwide search joined by the FBI.

Police in North Port, Florida, where the couple lived, say Laundrie is a “person of interest” in her case. He’s not been charged, but he’s also not cooperating.

North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison publicly vented his frustration over his lack of help on Wednesday, pleading for Laundrie’s lawyer to arrange a conversation. “Two people left on a trip and one person returned!” the chief’s tweet said.

The body camera video shows Petito visibly upset when an officer approached them.

“We’ve just been fighting this morning. Some personal issues,” she tells him, adding that she suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder that affects her behavior.

“Yeah, I don’t know, it’s just some days, I have really bad OCD, and I was just cleaning and straightening up and I was apologizing to him saying that I’m so mean because sometimes I have OCD and get frustrated,” she said.

Laundrie says on the video the couple got into a minor scuffle that began when he climbed into the van with dirty feet, and said he didn’t want to pursue a domestic violence charge against Petito, who officers decided was the aggressor.

“I’m not going to pursue anything because she is my fiancée and I love her. It was just a squabble. Sorry it had to get so public,” Laundrie says.

Ultimately Moab police decided not file any charges and instead separated the couple for the night, with Laundrie checking into a motel and Petito remaining with the converted sleeper van.

“He’s going to a hotel. I’m giving you the keys to the van. I’m giving him a ride to the hotel. Everything will be okay,” the officer says.

Petito, 22, and the 23-year-old Laundrie started their drive across the U.S. in July from New York’s Long Island, where both grew up. They intended to reach Oregon by Halloween according to their social media accounts, but Petito vanished after her last known contact with family in late August from Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, authorities said.

Laundrie drove the Ford Transit van back to Florida on Sept. 1 alone, police said. Petito’s family filed a missing persons report last Saturday with police in Suffolk County, New York.

Laundrie’s attorney, Steven Bertolino, said the Laundrie family is hoping for Petito’s safe return, but he’s asked them not to speak with investigators.

“Everybody has rights and we respect the Constitution and their rights,” Garrison acknowledged Thursday on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” “I can’t speculate as to why he’s not talking, but he has the pieces to the puzzle that we need to find Gabby.”

North Port police and others planned a news conference later Thursday to discuss the case.

Petito and Laundrie were childhood sweethearts on Long Island before moving from Blue Point, New York, in 2019 to live with his parents in North Port, about 34 miles (54 kilometers) south of Sarasota.

An eight-minute YouTube video titled “Van Life: Beginning our Van Life Journey” features happy and romantic scenes from the couple’s trip.

Petito is white, 5-foot-5 (1.6 meters) and about 110 pounds (50 kilograms), with blonde hair and blue eyes, police said. She has several tattoos including one on a forearm that reads, “let it be.”

North Port Police and the FBI are investigating the case. The FBI has set up a national hotline to receive tips: 1-800-225-5324 or submit tips to tips.fbi.gov.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
he didn’t want to pursue a domestic violence charge against Petito, who officers decided was the aggressor.

“I’m not going to pursue anything because she is my fiancée and I love her. It was just a squabble. Sorry it had to get so public,” Laundrie says.

Ultimately Moab police decided not file any charges and instead separated the couple for the night, with Laundrie checking into a motel and Petito remaining with the converted sleeper van.
First time I've read that part in detail, as most vaguely report it as a domestic dispute and leave it at that.

With that bit mentioned, I've got mixed feelings about it now. Maybe she took off, maybe there was self defense. But there's no doubt the guy has involvement. It's probably wise for him to lawyer up, but the not talking part makes him look extremely guilty in the matter.

What's even more odd is that I read there was another couple seen with them at a bar, and both of those girls were found murdered at a nearby campground. It would be oddly coincidental if there wasn't a connection there.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
... most vaguely report it as a domestic dispute and leave it at that.
It's obvious that the initial story wanted the reader to ASSUME the male was the aggressor. The use of prejudicial words like "fight" which most will take as physical and leaving out the FACT that officers would have arrested her as the aggressor. Just typical crap "journalism" that has become the norm.

Quote:
But there's no doubt the guy has involvement. It's probably wise for him to lawyer up, but the not talking part makes him look extremely guilty in the matter.
Oh there is significant doubt of his involvement and a myriad of scenarios in which he's 100% innocent....and it's not on him to prove his innocence. It was certainly wise to lawyer up which is exactly what I would have done. Not talking doesn't make him look guilty at all, it makes him look like someone who understands that you should NEVER TALK TO POLICE and that's the first thing any defense attorney is going to advise.

Quote:
What's even more odd is that I read there was another couple seen with them at a bar, and both of those girls were found murdered at a nearby campground. It would be oddly coincidental if there wasn't a connection there.
Citation to that source please.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
If he's got nothing to try to hide from authorities desperately trying to find this missing young lady, he'd tell them all he knows.

Kinda alluded to this above, but it bears repeating IMO: No lawyer needed if there's nothing nefarious he might have done to her to come back to haunt him at a later date...

I truly feel sorry for her father and other family members, as this likely won't turn out good on finding her alive, I'm afraid...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:17 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
If he's got nothing to try to hide from authorities desperately trying to find this missing young lady, he'd tell them all he knows.
Not if he's smart. NEVER TALK TO POLICE in such a situation. ANY defense attorney will say the exact same thing. Let all comms go through the lawyer. And if th lawyer is saying don't say a word then that's what happens.
Once you say ANYTHING it can be twisted into warrants, charges, etc.

Quote:
Kinda alluded to this above, but it bears repeating IMO: No lawyer needed if there's nothing nefarious he might have done to her to come back to haunt him at a later date...
NEVER TALK TO POLICE

Quote:
I truly feel sorry for her father and other family members, as this likely won't turn out good on finding her alive, I'm afraid...
Not likely but there are thousands of possible scenarios that don't include nefarious actions and thousands more that include nefarious actions that have nothing to do with the boyfriend.
With his mouth shut, the only way the police can legally escalate this is if they find a body or significant evidence of violence within the van....which is highly unlikely as that level would have been obvious to any trained person.

I hope the boyfriend continues to keep his mouth shut and make the police do their job.
Maybe that's because I am a criminal justice minor and I know the abuses the system perpetrates against innocent people every day.

Quote:

Quote:

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 09-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/crime/utah-police-not-ruling-out-potential-link-gabrielle-petito-crystal-turner-kylen-schulte/%3famp=true

People magazine, not the greatest source, I know, but I've seen this line drawn between the murders and disappearance multiple times, people was the first Google hit. One of the articles I read, but can't find, stated both couples were seen together at the same bar (Woody's) prior to Crystal and Kylen being found murdered.

I agree, he shouldn't say a word except through lawyers. He's suspect #1, anything he says will be used to incriminate him. But, the "right" thing would be to cooperate some and give some sort of statement of his last days with her, but nothing more. The more you give, the more chances to contradict yourself.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:51 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Thanks for the source. It led me to several others. As for People being a source, it can't be any less credible than the lame stream media under any brand these days.
Your citation and the others I looked at were, surprise surprise, poorly written. Journalism, and in particular Editors, is truly a dead profession any more. There are just red flags all over the place that point me to drugs and/or criminal activity causing their deaths.

Nothing I read on them or the 22 year old mentioned being at the same bar. There is reference that the DV call on Pietro was from outside the place where the 24 year old murder victim "had worked". Now considering the quality of "journalism" that could mean last year or until she was killed. However, in a town of just over 5,000 that's not much of a connection. Nor would having been in the same bar be a connection since there are probably only a few with a young crowd (all but the 38 year old murder victim) likely only being attracted to one.
I found it hilarious that the "journalists" described how the murder victims "recently went on a camping trip"....... though they literally live in a van. It just makes me think all they know how to do any more is cut and paste without actually comprehending their own articles.Perhaps one day we'll find out what happened. Perhaps the boyfriend is guilty, perhaps he's just too aware of how the system screws good people in order to perpetuate the myth of a justice system that works.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post

Oh there is significant doubt of his involvement and a myriad of scenarios in which he's 100% innocent....and it's not on him to prove his innocence. It was certainly wise to lawyer up which is exactly what I would have done. Not talking doesn't make him look guilty at all, it makes him look like someone who understands that you should NEVER TALK TO POLICE and that's the first thing any defense attorney is going to advise.

I understand why he shouldn't talk to the police, because anything he says WILL be used against him IF they find her harmed in any way. But right now there are 3.5 million people looking for this girl. Not only will he not speak to anyone, but his parents, who are friends with both sets of parents/step parents. The girls parents started callin the boys parents before the police or anyone else knew Gabbi was missing. The boys parents replied to no texts or messages. Why would the parents keep info such as where the last time he had seen her alive, and where was it. To not provide any of that info suggests there is something to hide. If she were alive and well, we would know by know. This will have a sad ending with him going to prison, but that's just me.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:56 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
The parents were likely advised by the lawyer not to speak which is the wisest course of action. As a former LEO I ADVISE NOBODY TO TALK TO THE POLICE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! Do not involve them in your life for any reason other than the direst of situations or when you need a police report for insurance. Many agencies feel that they are the investigative wing of their respective DA’s office. In our adversarial justice system this is a disaster. These agencies are supposed to provide a check and balance to the DA. Instead you have cops and DA’s conspiring to utilize their limitless resources to abuse anyone unfortunate enough to end up in their crosshairs.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #12
Bus Geek

To not advise where and when he last saw her is just wrong.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
I deleted my comments, this isn't the proper place to try and correct someone's ignorance.
Hoping this girl is found...not very optimistic though.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #14
Bus Nut

We don’t know anything except what the media is saying. I generally agree that this probably isn’t going to end well for either party or their respective families. I think it is horrible for that young man not to communicate with the lady’s family. I am unwilling make a judgement about the young man’s actions until I have more information. I know of a guy in prison for killing his girlfriend when it was common knowledge at the time and still is that she was killed by a serial killer who was later caught and convicted for the murder of other young women. The bodies were even dumped in the same spot. He will never see the light of day because he was broke, not educated, intelligent or articulate and he had a criminal record. He was an easy mark.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I understand why he shouldn't talk to the police, because anything he says WILL be used against him IF they find her harmed in any way.
AND nothing he says can help HIM in any way. NOTHING. There is absolutely no way for us to know what transpired and he may very well have no idea.
As an example, she might have had one of her tizzy's and he separated himself from her (there's OFFICIAL record that he does that) and a predator got her before he came back. He says where he last saw her and the next thing you know they find a body and he's in jail for murder.
It sucks but that's the system we have today. One where the system has practically unlimited time and resources with which to grind a defendant into the ground. It's not about justice, it's about the appearance of justice and due process.
Quote:
To not provide any of that info suggests there is something to hide.
Not at all. Just like not taking the stand in your defense can not be considered hiding guilt. What it suggests to those familiar with the US "justice" system is a thorough understanding of how corrupt that system is.
Quote:
This will have a sad ending with him going to prison, but that's just me.
And so the court of uneducated (in the failures of our justice system) public opinion has him convicted before we even know 1) she's harmed or 2) he done it. EXACTLY why he should keep his trap shut.

Quote:
To not advise where and when he last saw her is just wrong.
Yet you acknowledge that you understand why he shouldn't speak to police. I think you are assigning blame to the wrong place. It falls squarely on the shoulders of society and the corruption to which we have allowed our justice system to devolve.

As someone who grew up in a police household, has numerous relatives who had careers in various sectors of the "justice" system (MP, City PD, State Police, Sheriff's deputies, and a judge who now sits on an appellate court) AND who has studied Criminal Justice in the collegiate realm, the system is corrupt and abusive. It used to be that you could open your door to an officer secure in the knowledge you'd done nothing wrong. Those days are long gone. Police coming to my home (any government agent actually) are met with a door mat that says "come back with a warrant", a steel security door, a solid wood door with that neat little "what's the password" door in it, and 100% suspicion of their motives.
I do not talk to police because I know the system crushes defendants whether guilty or not based only on the DA or City Attorney's desires. A friend was once drug through court for 9 months by a system that didn't want to admit they'd screwed up. They offered plea after plea and my friend snubbed them all. The system hoped he'd run out of money and not be able to pay his attorney or just get tired of the BS, or maybe even fail to appear. He stuck to it and after 9 months they dropped the charges.
The system is corrupt and abusive and you should NEVER talk to the cops. You should never call them unless you are in extreme danger because all they do is bring armed and paranoid men into the equation.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:59 PM   #16
Bus Geek

It's not about helping him, it's about helping her. This is the girl he loves and wants to marry, and is more concerned about his innocent ass than he is in finding her? Don't talk to the police, but let someone know something that can help find her. If you don't it is a sign of guilt. Not public opinion, just mine. We will agree to disagree. I say he did something to her and will be punished. We'll see. If he was not involved in anything nefarious, why did he not say anything about her being missing to her family 2 weeks before when he showed back up in Fla. He's toast and his attorney knows it, that's why the silence.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:12 PM   #17
Bus Nut

No, why the silence is because silence is the universal advice any attorney gives to any client.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Not he, but his family is talking to police.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:23 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It's not about helping him, it's about helping her. This is the girl he loves and wants to marry, and is more concerned about his innocent ass than he is in finding her? Don't talk to the police, but let someone know something that can help find her. If you don't it is a sign of guilt. Not public opinion, just mine. We will agree to disagree. I say he did something to her and will be punished. We'll see. If he was not involved in anything nefarious, why did he not say anything about her being missing to her family 2 weeks before when he showed back up in Fla. He's toast and his attorney knows it, that's why the silence.
This is exactly how most Americans think. It's based on emotion as opposed to logic applied to the legal framework and statistical realities of our "justice" system.

The boyfriend is suspect number one no matter how much the police say he is "only a person of interest" and they just want him to tell them what he knows.

My life partner knows, if she or I disappear and the cops come asking questions they're not getting a damn word beyond "I have nothing to say, if you don't have a warrant, LEAVE". There is no "just a few questions", "can you come down to the station", etc. JUST LEAVE.
This is because whether they say it or not the domestic partner is suspect number one and ANYTHING they say can be used against them....even if they have to twist mangle and manipulate it to fit their theory.
But, as I have said, I've studied the system and how it has been corrupted. How the state uses its relatively unlimited time and resources. How they manipulate the jury during selection (for instance, any knowledge of jury nullification is instant removal because god forbid the jury knows their rights and obligations).

It would be nice if the gal shows up safe and sound but considering her mental and violence issues it's not likely AND there's just no way to accurately predict what has transpired.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #20

UPDATE! Brian Laundrie, Boyfriend, now ALSO Missing

The attorney of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend of Gabby and the last person to see her, is now also missing. Parents revealed they haven't seen him since Tuesday. The FBI have become involved. Per his attorney: “Be advised that the whereabouts of Brian Laundrie are currently unknown. The FBI is currently at the Laundrie residence removing property to assist in locating Brian. As of now the FBI is now looking for both Gabby and Brian.”

Brian is 23 years old and 5'8". Police are searching for Brian in Florida, in Carlton Reserve, Sarasota County. Investigators are asking anyone who may have seen the couple since they started their trip in July to reach out and help them create a timeline of the couple's trip.

Strangely, this CBS article cites him as being last seen wearing "a hiking bag with a waist strap". They didn't really specify the size. Genuine question: I don't know much about hiking but would you take a whole bag for a one day/simple hike? It's hard to know what to think with the limited information provided but many assume he's gone into hiding. Would such a high profile person in his community be able to easily go missing? Hopefully he is located soon.

More cases updates: if you haven't seen it, there is now police cam footage of the aftermath of Brian and Gabby's domestic dispute in Moab. . And, two woman who went missing in Moab were found shot last month. They reported seeing a "Creepy Man" near their camp site. Police cannot confirm a connection between the two incidences, but are looking into it.

Additionally, I'm not going to sit here and argue with questionable people online, but I will say I would not go on a trip with ANY of you defending Brian by saying that you wouldn't even simply tell the police where you saw her last. If you say you love someone, that's fucked. It's one thing to lawyer up, it's a whole other thing to not help look for her at all. Also, it's not so far fetched to think Brian hurt her in some way - he would threaten to abandon her in National Parks and even go as far to lock her out of her own car. Everyone on this site knows how terrible of a threat that is, especially to someone with documented mental health issues and anxiety. Like someone else said, the only reason he has to not speak to the police is that whatever he has to say is worse than not speaking at all. Brian clearly knows more about what happened to her. He was going to marry this woman, why would he not try and help her be found? And, while one could say not talking to the police is not admission of guilt, fleeing almost certainly is. Also, what's going on with the Police? If he's your only lead, you would think he'd be under surveillance.

Everyone who's currently traveling, solo or with a partner, please be safe and let others know your location.
ecoglitt3r is offline   Reply With Quote