Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 82
Year: 2002
Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
Vinyl Flooring?

I am looking to do my flooring with Vinyl plank flooring. It would be much easier to do the flooring before I start framing out the cabinets/ couch/ bed. I know you are supposed to let the floor float but since I am just doing a small area (14 x 7 feet) is it alright to screw my framing into the vinyl flooring. Also how important are expansion gaps for such a small area?
mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:58 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
bus-bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.
Posts: 917
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Some, though, throw the instructions out the window while driving 60 mph, and do it their way. Do it your way. Let us know how it turns out.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,375
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
You should use glue down plank and not use the pressure sensitive glue. You’ll also not want stuff on top of it. Temperature changes cause it to expand on contract
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:24 AM   #4
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 82
Year: 2002
Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
That is unfortunate. I was hopeing I would be good to put stuff on top of the flooring. I guess I need to figure out how I am going to hide the expansion gap for everything.
mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 509
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchk View Post
That is unfortunate. I was hopeing I would be good to put stuff on top of the flooring. I guess I need to figure out how I am going to hide the expansion gap for everything.
I love turning conventional wisdom on its head, but there is a reason why it's called " conventional wisdom". Mine is a FRANK SINATRA bus. I did it my way !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #6
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 82
Year: 2002
Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
I love turning conventional wisdom on its head, but there is a reason why it's called " conventional wisdom". Mine is a FRANK SINATRA bus. I did it my way !!
Haha, I like the attitude. I wish I was more naturally built that way. That being said I did just call a guy who owns a flooring company and he thinks that with the space being so small I can get away with screwing through the flooring. I think I'm going to go for it. Worst case scenario the floor gets messed up in a year and I do a proper floating floor around everything.
mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 509
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchk View Post
Haha, I like the attitude. I wish I was more naturally built that way. That being said I did just call a guy who owns a flooring company and he thinks that with the space being so small I can get away with screwing through the flooring. I think I'm going to go for it. Worst case scenario the floor gets messed up in a year and I do a proper floating floor around everything.
I spent way to much time in construction. The floor is one of the last things done. I know my luck, I would screw up the floor before I was finished. Just sayin !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:17 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 30
I prewarn you to stay away from anything with adhesive, if it gets wet often it starts to pull apart. also, if the sub floor gives at all it starts to pull.

I have found the vinyl planks that click together offer a very nice, very durable solutio

davidbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
Bus Nut
 
ACamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
I love turning conventional wisdom on its head, but there is a reason why it's called " conventional wisdom". Mine is a FRANK SINATRA bus. I did it my way !!

HA, my bus is a farm or ranch version of Frank Sinatra, a good amount of improvised stuff with a get it done attitude now with out going to the hardware store again.

Working on my bus a very relaxing for me. I get to try unconventional stuff out, it is a great big experiment.


-On the subject of vinyl, I am still seeing that stuff fail all over the place. We had a thread on it hear some months ago.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 509
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
HA, my bus is a farm or ranch version of Frank Sinatra, a good amount of improvised stuff with a get it done attitude now with out going to the hardware store again.

Working on my bus a very relaxing for me. I get to try unconventional stuff out, it is a great big experiment.


-On the subject of vinyl, I am still seeing that stuff fail all over the place. We had a thread on it hear some months ago.
What kind of fails Acamper? Are we talking about vinyl planks or glue down sheet vinyl ?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
ACamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
What kind of fails Acamper? Are we talking about vinyl planks or glue down sheet vinyl ?
On the glued down vinyl sheets I keep seeing it bubble up in spots usually where traffic areas areas. Have seen this in residential and commercial areas.

I have seen outdoor vinyl planks fail on porches, seems like the sun will deteriorate many of the kinds of it. All of the vinyl planks I have seen fail in the sun were in residential uses.
I do know of a good amount of outdoor vinyl planks on park porches that are years old and still bulletproof. It leads me to believe some brands and makes are much better then others.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,239
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm going to try out free-floating vinyl (or actual linoleum if I can find any) on my floors. It doesn't seem like it would bubble up but maybe I'm misunderstanding what causes bubbling in the first place.

If it doesn't work out, it will be easy to remove it and try something else.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×