Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 05:09 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
Visitor parking

So... I feel silly asking. I have never driven a bus somewhere and parked while I see the sites. It's not even that big a bus (6 window). But I have no experience. Not talking overnight. Just a few hours here and there visiting the sites.

I can take a couple of spaces in a large parking lot but what about when we want to visit tourist spots. Do you always find places to park or can it be difficult? How about getting in somewhere where you can't turn around?

Specifically I'd like to visit the capitol grounds in DC. I know of auto parking but have never looked for places to park a bus. Is it difficult to find a place to park?

Also... do you ever worry about leaving your bus. So much invested time and money. Am I paranoid or are they really out to get me? LOL

Four weeks to finish conversion enough for first road trip!

Thank you!

Ross

rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: ford e350
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke
When visiting DC stay away from sensitive sites like the capitol. They are always afraid of terrorism and such.
I have a 5 window and my last trip to Atlanta where i worked for the airline in town security came asking what that suspicious bus was in the visitor parking lot.
This slightly besides the "normal" accepted lifestyle draws a lot of attention. Mostly good from people on the road who give you the thumbs up nut also "bad" from the officials.

I got stopped several times by rangers and cops who were very curious.
Nothing bad or nasty , just be prepared.

Later J
Elfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
With a 6 window you should be fine almost anywhere! Mine's a 5 window so you do have a couple more feet than me, but when we're touring and end up in an interesting city we frequently find parking downtown. That way we can easily walk around and check the place out.

Normal paid street parking spots should have enough room for you. If you end up being too long and take up two spots I'm guessing that if both meters are paid for the parking cops won't care.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Actually, I just found a picture of your bus and it might be the same size as mine. Just built a bit differently. It looks like your windows are narrower, so my 5 window might be equivalent to your 6.

Anyway, we've parked in such places as "the bean" in Chicago, downtown Denver, downtown San Antonio, etc.... Haven't yet had a problem.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Having visited DC while driving a semi, find the farthest out metro station (subway) and park there and take the subway into town, did not even cost to park back then
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Having visited DC while driving a semi, find the farthest out metro station (subway) and park there and take the subway into town, did not even cost to park back then
More than likely it will cost something now, but you'll be able to find 2 consecutive spots. Don't try the Metro garages (multi story parking); the clearance is spec'ed at 6'8". Going downtown will be a nightmare unless you've called ahead and verified bus parking. DC government is a nightmare to try to work with. I've paid the same ticket 3 times before. Last I looked they still had rotary phones on the desk.

DC is special and difficult. I live there; trust me.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote