Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2024, 01:47 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive run monteagle a dozen times or so and never stopped.. also never once felt like in either of my 2 busses ive driven through that brakes would be an issue.. now may if I had a 545 id feel different but i was running lockup transmissions in both cases..
And I'm too dumb to know to check with my 545. I know my front brakes work well as I did them myself recently, not worried about them, but the rear, I've yet to delve into, The air system is good at least, but the rear service chambers may not be.

nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:23 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I was pulled over in PA because I didnít stop at a weigh station. The sign said all commercial vehicles over 10,000 lbs. A state trooper pulled out of the weigh station immediately and stopped me. I told him my school bus is private use not commercial and showed him all of my paperwork. The state trooper told me that in PA it was irrelevant because every vehicle over 10,000 lbs is considered commercial as far as weight stations are concerned. He was very nice and treated us with respect. He did not write me a ticket because I was from out of state. He gave me a written warning and advised me to stop at every other weigh station I passed whenever in PA.
I think that in PA, like in most states, nobody really has any idea what the actual rules for anything are. When I was first looking to register my skoolie here as a motorhome, the first person I spoke to at PennDOT told me that it could be done with an extra form and a special inspection; the second PennDOT person I spoke to told me the extra form and special inspection were not needed; and the third PennDOT person I spoke to told me that it was completely impossible to ever title/register a school bus as a motorhome no matter what, and even got her manager on the phone who said the same thing.

In actual practice, many people have just mailed in the PA title correction form with "bus" changed to "motorhome" and it works. More than that may actually be legally required, but there's nothing in their system that checks to see that more has actually been done.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:37 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I think that in PA, like in most states, nobody really has any idea what the actual rules for anything are. When I was first looking to register my skoolie here as a motorhome, the first person I spoke to at PennDOT told me that it could be done with an extra form and a special inspection; the second PennDOT person I spoke to told me the extra form and special inspection were not needed; and the third PennDOT person I spoke to told me that it was completely impossible to ever title/register a school bus as a motorhome no matter what, and even got her manager on the phone who said the same thing.

In actual practice, many people have just mailed in the PA title correction form with "bus" changed to "motorhome" and it works. More than that may actually be legally required, but there's nothing in their system that checks to see that more has actually been done.
I'm glad that i was outbid on a bus in NJ that i would have had to drive through PA, MD & WV to get back here to bubbaland
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:57 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
California weigh stations - maybe

Found this regarding buses and California weigh stations.

Source -> top of pg 4
https://www.chp.ca.gov/CommercialVeh...%20chp800a.pdf

Quote:
When driving a bus, do I have to stop at the scales operated by the CHP?
Most of the time, no. However, you should pay special attention to the highway signs posted near the approaches to scale
facilities. The CHP does occasionally set aside a few days to conduct inspections of buses at the scales, and signs will be
posted on those days. The CHP may also use other locations for this purpose, such as roadside rest stops or parking lots
near major tourist attractions.
But this is for Commercial Busses, not RV's!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 09:34 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Found this regarding buses and California weigh stations.

Source -> top of pg 4
https://www.chp.ca.gov/CommercialVeh...%20chp800a.pdf

But this is for Commercial Busses, not RV's!
Which means you're likely to still get pulled over for ignoring in those cases, but they'll have to let you go.

At least we now have a reference to show the officer to let us off the hook if we are pulled over in such an instance.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 09:48 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
for those of us registered as an RV.
don't stop for a weigh station.

we get in trouble using the term "bus". we are not a "bus" we are an "rv".

this stands true for all dot, insurance, registration....legal. the bus is, what it is registered as.

go ahead and call it a bus on fb, but dont call it a "bus"to your insurance agent, license plate office, or local dot officer, call it what you registered it to be.... an "rv".

i just rolled thru California, idaho, wyoming, washington, oregon, nevada, arizona, and new mexico this summer, with a car in tow.... i drive right on by the weigh stations.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:56 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
@turf you are 100% on the money. It is whatever it is titled as. The title is the legal description of the vehicle.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:25 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
ive been across the country a few times in my bus..... i've never pulled into a weigh station. i havent been to maryland yet. so theres that.
like a previuso poster said, if it said "RV" on the sign then i might. but when it says "all trucks".... i keep on going.

im not a truck, im an rv.

the only dot stop i ever considered stopping at was at the top of monteagle pass, it says something like all trucks brake check.... but i blew that one too.

i got my autoslack adjusters

limiting my encounters with law enforcement has served me well.
Same for me on Monteagle. Auto slack adjusters ftw!
If your travels ever bring you to FL be sure and hit me up pal.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:34 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Same for me on Monteagle. Auto slack adjusters ftw!
If your travels ever bring you to FL be sure and hit me up pal.
im hopeful to travel more this year, i need to get this trans swap going.... the mechanic called last week and said that he wasnt able to find that little translator box they sell. he was looking for a used one on ebay. grrrrr

yes, auto slacks for the win. most of us have auto slack adjusters. if you don't know, then you probably have them. also, if you don't know... you just give the brakes a good swift application and that activates the slack adjuster mechanism. so, when i pass an old brake check sign....i drive on by.

the rules for rv's are pretty lax compared to a commercial carrier. going into a weigh station is an invitation to the dot for an unsafe vehicle ticket. i've considered marking my bus as "private coach" or "not for hire" but have never bothered. i'd have to pull an obvious overweigh load, before i put that disclaimer on the door. iirc, as an rv, the trailer weight limits no longer apply.

eccb, and the rest of you monteaglers need to come out west. i got a spot picked out for a bus rally. and we're gonna have a hill climb! actually a bunch of them. i got a great camping area at the base of monarch pass, blm land. the 11,000 ft monarch pass also ruined my first 545 . i think time trials up and down the pass would be great fun. hehehehe
Old 02-11-2024, 03:21 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
im hopeful to travel more this year, i need to get this trans swap going.... the mechanic called last week and said that he wasnt able to find that little translator box they sell. he was looking for a used one on ebay. grrrrr

yes, auto slacks for the win. most of us have auto slack adjusters. if you don't know, then you probably have them. also, if you don't know... you just give the brakes a good swift application and that activates the slack adjuster mechanism. so, when i pass an old brake check sign....i drive on by.

the rules for rv's are pretty lax compared to a commercial carrier. going into a weigh station is an invitation to the dot for an unsafe vehicle ticket. i've considered marking my bus as "private coach" or "not for hire" but have never bothered. i'd have to pull an obvious overweigh load, before i put that disclaimer on the door. iirc, as an rv, the trailer weight limits no longer apply.

eccb, and the rest of you monteaglers need to come out west. i got a spot picked out for a bus rally. and we're gonna have a hill climb! actually a bunch of them. i got a great camping area at the base of monarch pass, blm land. the 11,000 ft monarch pass also ruined my first 545 . i think time trials up and down the pass would be great fun. hehehehe
I can't wait to see Colorado again. Our next big trip will be to scope out Scotland and see some family there.
if you ever just want to get away to FL for some sun let me know I'll set you up with a room at my folks and you can borrow one of my cars.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:40 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Sounds like a prime location for a pop-up transmission shop

I'm game for going up. I'll pass on the downhill races.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:43 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
monteagle is not a weight station its only a brake check with a stop lite to see if your brakes work... makes me wonder if any of you actually been there or even have busses
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:46 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
yea 1 more note here trucks have had auto adj slack adjusters for 20 years or so and the dot still puts trucks out of service for out of adjustment brakes
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:33 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
monteagle is not a weight station its only a brake check with a stop lite to see if your brakes work... makes me wonder if any of you actually been there or even have busses
Who said Monteagle had a weigh station?
I literally made a video of taking my 92 Ward Senator down Monteagle.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:40 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Who said Monteagle had a weigh station?
I literally made a video of taking my 92 Ward Senator down Monteagle.
me, i think i said i blew evrystop but had a twinge of guilt passing the brake check on monteagle. i was clearly over the weight sign to pull in,,, but im an rv with auto slacks.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:04 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Auto slack adjusters can and do fail. I have had to replace more than a few. They need to be checked on a regular basis.