Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Name doesn't ring a bell - rally or 24 Hours of Lemons?
I think he runs LeMons and Chumpcar

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Nichols View Post
Actually, when I think TV family in a skoolie, I think Partridge Family.

Mine will eventually be a basecamp for backpacking, a clubhouse, an AirBNB rental, and a deluxe doghouse for those evenings of marital strife. For now, it's a hobby...
There has been no shortage of partridge family references and posters around work.. I was referring more to the aspect of that my Spouse and I have no kids together....but raise a bunch of kids together...5 under 18yr old, 2 over 18 with their own spouses......
But ya I go around whistling the theme song and it drives the older fellas a work bonkers as it sticks in their head for the day....

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #23

sewing studio
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Ours will also be a home sweet tiny home.
Setsu-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #25

I don't have one yet, I'm still in the planning stage, but when I do it will be my full-time retirement home/RV.

Dawn
ixchel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
When complete will be living on the road
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
traveling hom

I am retired. It's just me, 2 cats, and a parrot. I am going to travel full time all over the US researching my genealogy, visiting people I have met online and places that relatives have lived in. And now will be my time to see vacation spots like Mount Rushmore and the White House. I should have conversion finished by end of summer.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
wheelchair hauler

im one of those people always rolling around on my wheels (jazzy elete powerchair) so when it came time for a new vehicle (new to me) I looked at vans with the wheelchair lift but the prices were outrageous (20,000 for a used one) after an argument with the wife I looked for wheelchair buses,.. well a few minutes on ebay I found it a 2010 ford e350 9 passenger wheelchair bus with 110k miles it was well maintained had been garaged and washed regularly (only on the road when someone called for a ride I think) so it was rust free except a few surface rust spots where there was wear on the paint (door jams, near the stairs) the price 4,000.00,. and it was only 70 miles away,.. plus the seller would deliver ,.. looked at it,.. liked it, was in my budget,.
so after installing a transfer seat base (and losing 2 seats to make it 7 passengers) I have a bus that seats 7 plus 2+ wheelchairs with wheelchair lift already installed

it is my daily driver it has the 5.4l v8 gas engine with a 5 speed auto, dana full floating traclock rearend with 4.10 gears, drives very nice, isn't too hard to park (same length and width as a standard e350 van) 6'3" of head clearance on the inside is 9'4" tall (very few drive throughs,.. )
Old 04-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #29

I live full time in it, use it as base camp for my adventures.
SkiSkooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #30

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Corbeil
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
I'm currently still in the demo stage on my 4 window short bus, but when it's 'done,' I plan on using it for quite a few things.

I'm a member of a rock and gem club, and we go on quite a few trips during the year. So I started looking for a bus that would be maneuverable to take on these trips and yet would be able to seat a bunch of my nieces and nephews (and my sisters) since they love to come on some of the trips too. This will probably be my main focus for the bus.

I'm currently designing two matching dinettes (one for each side of the bus) with removable/fold down tables so that I can have the options of having beds. Now my bus can be a camper too! I plan on leaving plenty of open space in the back of the bus for all the rocks we collect.

I may eventually put a small kitchen counter with at least an icebox beneath it on one side in the back... and a bathroom counter with a portapotty beneath it on the other. Maybe I'll put in solar power and running water someday. We'll see.

As for my other uses for the bus...
~I may take my nieces and nephews to and from school on special occasion. (We only live a mile and a half from the school.)
~I'll probably use it to go to the hardware store and haul lumber and stuff home.
~I may take lunch to the fields to feed my big ol' hungry family of farmers. (Myself included)
~I may take it on parts runs.
~I'll go get groceries with it.
~I'll take the whole family to Grandma's.
~I'll take it on those long trips to Canada, Arizona, and Georgia that I'm still planning.
~I'll plan spontaneous weekend trips and camp in my beautiful bus. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll park it in my own back yard and camp there!
~I'll drive wherever the mood takes me.

I may never be a full time traveler or live in it full time, but I will find reasons to drive my bus.
I'm so excited to finally join the group of people who have skoolies!
CrazyRockhound7597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Weekend trips, plus longer cross country trips. Home away from home
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #32

Information
Wedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #33

Coachwork: Bluebird
Livin’ In 😜
BusBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'll be living in it full time.
I started my conversion, drove down to Fla from NY with the plans of completing it (solar and water)...down there near my Mom but....2 months away...my Daughter needed me back home to help out with my 4 grandchildren so here I am back in NY! I told her I would give her 1 more year of my life and then I needed to get a life LOL.
I didn't mean to babble on....

So the short answer is...
to live in it full time and travel the country
I love my Skoolie and can't wait to get back out there! 9 more months to go ;)
Even though I travelled 3,000 miles alone, I really loved it!
So cozy and comfy.
Did I mention I love my skoolie?
Old 04-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

I use my 92 bluebird 9 window for camping during the summer months.
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #36

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 30 passenger (20 adults)
Hello JBEECH

We have a 2000 Ford E450 with a 7.3L and use it as a travel bus, that we do sleep in. Two of our 10 children work for Disney in FL, so we travel there from PA with the little ones a few times a year. We have travelled there about 7 times now, going as far as Miami on one trip. We soon hope to head to Washington State, but that will be next year. Might redo our conversion to make it more liveable. We have seating for 8 passengers, a sink, stove, and potty. We have a full size bed with storage underneath and have turned the first row of seats around backwards with tables that lower into beds between them. We also have a sling for across the top of both facing seat pairs for sleeping too.
gogolaserbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Mid Bus, Inc Ohio
Chassis: GMC Savanna 3500
Engine: 5.7 Vortec, GMC
Rated Cap: 22
My 2001 GMC is my current work truck! School Bus Conversion Resources - Hammerhead's Album: 2001 GMC "Tool" bus
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

So by my count, the overwhelming majority convert school buses into RV-like vehicles, yes? Thanks for chiming in, folks, for what was an idle question. I really appreciate the information because I arrived at this site from a sister site to this one (Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community - Powered by vBulletin) while researching something and was fascinated.

Anyway, seems we all share a common goal, which is to repurpose an existing vehicle to more closely align with our own vision. Me? I'm converting a hotload truck (used for express delivery of LTL goods) into something more suitable for my needs, which is attending model airplane events on weekends, some nearby (100 miles) some further 500 miles. Basically, I want a mobile workshop with enough basic sleeping and bathroom accommodations for me and my wife to survive a weekend. Rustic and little more than camping (but better).

Thanks again!
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote