Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What buses have these?

Anyone know what kinds of buses have the lever on outside that you can use to lock your door from the outside like youtuber jhonny mullet's bus. He has the 1996 t444e 7.3turbo he has a lever/handle between door and hood that he uses to lock his bus up.

Was wondering if this unique feature is on any other buses. If so what kind and year of buses. Ive tried google but im not sure what the locking mechanism is called so i might not be asking the right question

C-ptsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ptsd View Post
Anyone know what kinds of buses have the lever on outside that you can use to lock your door from the outside like youtuber jhonny mullet's bus. He has the 1996 t444e 7.3turbo he has a lever/handle between door and hood that he uses to lock his bus up.

Was wondering if this unique feature is on any other buses. If so what kind and year of buses. Ive tried google but im not sure what the locking mechanism is called so i might not be asking the right question
It's usually an option on most buses. The contractor I drive for does not order any of their buses with locks however we did end up with one Blue Bird AA that was originally ordered by a nearby district but never picked up.

That one had the setup you described with the locking handle.

It really varies in my opinion and is one of those features that can easily be added later (or get rid of the service door entirely and do an RV door which is much more private and thermally efficent)
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my bluebird has an electric door.. I can disengage the door with a lever inside then it swings free,,

it has a lock on the outside of the door on the door itself.. works great for locking.. the lock has a pin that goes into the door frame.. ive seen quite a few blue-birds with this type of setup..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 30 + 2 WC
Vandalock

Not quite as simple as a lever, but my bus (2005 IC RE300) has an air door that has the vandal lock system. There is a key switch on the outside just to the left of the door that controls an actuator that blocks the door mechanism in place. Turns out the key switch is wired as a double pole double throw switch. I was able to add a switch on the inside that tapped into the same wires, so now I can lock and unlock the door from the inside. Eventually I hope to add a wireless remote to it as well.
skoontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoontz View Post
Not quite as simple as a lever, but my bus (2005 IC RE300) has an air door that has the vandal lock system. There is a key switch on the outside just to the left of the door that controls an actuator that blocks the door mechanism in place. Turns out the key switch is wired as a double pole double throw switch. I was able to add a switch on the inside that tapped into the same wires, so now I can lock and unlock the door from the inside. Eventually I hope to add a wireless remote to it as well.
I would say don't rely on that lock to keep people out. I don't know exactly how, but my bus was robbed three times with the vandalock accomplishing nothing. Either it's super-easy to pick or rake the lock itself, or else if you just pull hard enough on the door it unlocks.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I was lucky to find a key for mine........

Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
My '05 Thomas Built has it....Not sure I'd rely on it too much...seems like one of those locks that keeps honest people honest.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote