Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2023, 06:25 PM   #1

What do I do??

I've been talking to my family recently on how I really want to convert a school bus and my father says it's silly. Is it?

Emmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmie View Post
I've been talking to my family recently on how I really want to convert a school bus and my father says it's silly. Is it?
Live your life and chase YOUR dreams!

Is it silly….????

Let’s see, I’m a dad and a grandpa and I am building 2 busses….
Life can sure be silly….and fun!
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 07:56 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Speaking as a skoolie builder who hit the four-year mark a week ago: it's extremely silly.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:42 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
What's "sillier"?
Trying something a bit unconventional, or looking back years from now and wishing you had?
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:40 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Cool Welcome to the Silliness

Quote:

Welcome to the Insane Asylum, Emmie.

There have been a few 'silly' expectations from those of us who wish to convert a school bus. Then again, depending on a person's perspective, we're all silly. 😋

Dad's are often specific.

❓ What are your expectations, of the experiences you'll encounter, during and after this project?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:08 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Silly? maybe, but you will learn how to do lots of things, spend a lot of money, if you go to any of the gatherings you will meet many people and make new friends. Of course there is the the heartache of breaking down. Freedom, do you want to be coddled and safe? or do you want to go out and see what the world has to offer, or what do you have to offer the world?

Live your life fully, and with passion for whatever you do. Welcome to the Skoolie world.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:09 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
P.S. we are on our second bus build. Almost ready to use, long way from finished though.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:12 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
do you want to live your life or his ?
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:31 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
BUILD IT..

if id have listened to my father id have drowned in 100+K student loans had kids that I wouldnt have wanted and been a pencil neck stuck in an office someplace.. (and he thought school busses were silly too)...

I doint live in a bus but i have 3 that bring me (and a lot of others) great Joy!..

do your research first.. talk to people, attend some skoolie events where you can meet people that are everything from van dwellers, to bus enthusiasts to RVers(in busses) and full timers...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:44 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
It is silly-expensive, depending on your skills and wants.

From the many horror stories, it looks like there are very few skoolie 'converters' that do acceptable work.
Meaning you'll need to outfit the hvac, electric/solar/generator, galley, bath, water/waste, plumbing and pump, furniture, lighting, etc.

Then the chassis - how comfortable are you with driving whatever size bus you choose, and what's your mechanical ability? How confident are you that you can troubleshoot and repair problems? Do you own the tools now?

And budget? IMO a good retired bus can be found and made roadworthy for ~$10,000, if you know what you're looking for and have the time to inspect it.
I'm seeing another $10,000 to infinity for the interior upfit.
Of course, your bus will not have a warranty, so planning for the worst case of an engine failure - replacing it with a 'good used' engine, labor, tow, getting home and back to the shop could be another $10,000+.

And the 'where'? Your conversion has to be done in a place where it is legal and safe/convenient. For a year, possibly much longer? You'll be spending hundreds of hours working, so the closer to where you live, the better. Do you have a pickup to get the lumber, pipes, and interior fixtures? How far is the nearest hardware store?

You should explore vans, campers and rv's too. Whatever your goal is, work backwards from it to the cheapest solution and timeframe that works for you.

Put a lot of thought and pre-planning into your first move, as its a huge financial commitment and with a skoolie you'll not likely get your investment back if you have to sell.

Best of luck with whatever choice you make, just make a wise choice!
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 03:19 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 78
Are you silly?

Maybe it’s silly for your father because he can’t understand it or why you want to do it.
Sit down with him and go over the pros and cons for owning a house on wheels, then if he still thinks it’s silly, then you just have to remember, it’s your life and your choice and live your best life accordingly.
BriteLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 04:19 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: FE 3900
Engine: DT466
Emmie, I’m going to be honest. Remodeling a Skoolie is a lot of hard work, even for someone who has the skills. If you are not skilled (carpentry, electrical, plumbing, dc power, etc.) it will take you 2-4 times as long as you think it should take you. If you’re not skilled, you’re going to need to surround yourself with skilled help. If you are not skilled (even if you are) you’re probably going to make mistakes which could drive up your costs by 15-40%. I bought a heat on demand water heater. Didn’t work in my situation so I had to buy a different one that cost 4x the first and it set me back a month on that part of the project. It happens.

So be realistic with yourself and give yourself grace along the way. You need days off to rest. Really! If you plan to spend $5k, you better have $7k set aside for the unforeseen costs. But don’t put yourself into a financial pickle. You should do things that stretch you and help you learn and grow from the experience. Figure out what you must have and you can add the like to have things later. Once your live in it for awhile, you will come to realize what works and what doesn’t and tweak things as you go.

Is it silly? Depends who you ask. For most people, it’s probably too silly. But their lifestyle has its own silly aspects too. Live life to the fullest and you do you. Skoolie life has its own challenges but there are so many great Skoolie folks out there that are glad to help and give good advice. Whatever you decide, make sure it’s a smart decision for you.
Daledorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:01 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Maybe just rent a campervan or RV for two weeks and see how you like the lifestyle. Buildouts are pretty difficult/discouraging with lots of re-do's. I have also ended up spending way more than I could have spent just buying a low mileage used RV due to mechanical issues (which could also have occurred with a RV). They can also be pretty rewarding.
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:05 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
a)
Why talk to anybody about your wants.
I think that is the 'silly' part.
b)
Do it.
Or go around and around, one foot perpetually locked in the starting position, paralyzed, forever asking opinions and permissions.
c)
An amusing YouTube short with Matt Damon talking about Tom Cruise wanting to do a risky stunt.
On the set, the Stunt Coordinator refused to allow it.
So Tom got a different Stunt Coordinator.
Now, nobody is suggesting you get a different father...
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:30 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: PB105
Engine: VT365 6.0L v8 Diesel
Quote:

Maybe, but what's wrong with silly?
indigo_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:21 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
As somebody who spent a fair amount of his life spongeing off his parents, I have to say that when your father is paying for your rent, car, health insurance, college tuition etc. - as is fairly common with younger people - the advice "who cares what your father thinks?" isn't really relevant.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:29 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Precisely why I got the heck out of home pretty early on.. was tired of dad trying to make me live my life like him and exert the ultimate control..
bye Felicia ..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote