Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscrms View Post
It think it was a very smart move. Way too risky unless you’re super handy and looking for a fixer upper.
I'm not, and I'm not. (I could be super-handy if I had time... and I don't.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
It was $400 .... and the chances are the bid would not have been accepted.

You know it starts, because they drove it there.
I don't know they drove it there. I was told they drove it there. People can say anything. It was driven there in March of this year, so it's been sitting.

Quote:
I would have bid, and when the bid was rejected talked to the seller to find out what the real condition was, and what they would accept.
Good luck reaching a business (the seller) on a Saturday.

Quote:
It's failed at two auctions now, I'm thinking the price is going down, not up.
One can hope.

RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
They can't simply tell you outright lies.

If they said they drove it, and you have that in email or answered question, then they drove it.

They may not have driven it far ... it was $400

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
They can't simply tell you outright lies.

If they said they drove it, and you have that in email or answered question, then they drove it.

They may not have driven it far ... it was $400
I don't have it in any written form. The guy said that it was driven to the lot. But you're right, nobody knows how far it was driven... nor what condition it was in when it got there. Some of the vehicles at the auction today had sputtering engines which sounded like they were barely running. Yes, they ran, yes, the vehicles drove. Does that mean they were reliable for anything other than "lot driving"? No.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
one thng to think about "sputtering" engines.. is ask how lopng these busses sat idle before being sent to the auction.. ive seen schools keep busses for several years before auctioning them off.. and the fuel in the tank is worthless at that point..

but agreed. if you havent got the knowledge to spot potential issues from a short run and drive then its best to pass.. as you are right , its wasted money if it turns out the bus needs 1000s of repair work to make it road worthy..

someone like myself would probably take a chance on it.. esp if it was within a couple hundred miles of home...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
if it failed a state inspection it will have a paper telling you what failed. since they did not offer or mention this i would say they are hiding something else
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

like the pf song "run like hell"
Old 11-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
I would have bid on it, what's the price of scrap on a bus? Gotta be more then the bid of $400.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I was interested in this bus also, but not being able to hear it run and see it move or test drive it was a no go for me. I am a diesel mechanic and would still refuse to buy a vehicle without driving it. .
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:58 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Advice everyone should follow. Thank you.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:42 AM   #30
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
if it failed a state inspection it will have a paper telling you what failed. since they did not offer or mention this i would say they are hiding something else
There was a paper that came with it but it didn't look like any sort of official inspection failure report. The auction guy said that they didn't even have the title yet... but since the auction requires that the title be in their hands no later than the day of the auction prior to the start of the auction, maybe they did get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
I would have bid on it, what's the price of scrap on a bus? Gotta be more then the bid of $400.
Yeah, but then that means I'd have to find a way to haul it to a scrap yard even if nowhere else. I don't have that kind of equipment.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Every bus and commercial vehicle must be inspected every year AND record of this inspection must be maintained also listing all failures along with the date the defect was corrected and returned to service. These records must be retained by owner. Talk to local schools try to cut out the middle man. Seems a lot of people here got some great deals from schools. Unfortunately spring summer seems to be their season
Old 11-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #32
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
Every bus and commercial vehicle must be inspected every year AND record of this inspection must be maintained also listing all failures along with the date the defect was corrected and returned to service. These records must be retained by owner. Talk to local schools try to cut out the middle man. Seems a lot of people here got some great deals from schools. Unfortunately spring summer seems to be their season
Yeah, I'll be doing that. Is it a safe bet to say that smaller school districts are less likely to have a "variety" of buses compared to larger districts? (By "variety" I mean a range of sizes, buses spec'd for handicapped transport or activity usage, etc. When I checked my local yard, it seemed that all they had were full-size "regular" buses. My town is fairly small though not tiny - population around 12,800 with 27 square miles of land.)

Since my local yard was willing to sell me a bus directly, it would stand to logic that there is no Ohio state law requiring buses to be auctioned. Maybe I could get something from another district that'd work for us.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
theres no ohio law governing school bus sales.. some districts (larger ones especially) have strict policy on it to prevent "near giveaways" to friends or families of district personnel.. columbus city wouldnt sell me a wrecked 2004 IC directly.. first because of legal issues but then because of policy even though my neighbor is president of the board.. they were required to send it to 422sales or publicsurplus per district policy.. I know in the past chillicothe sold busses to individuals.. thats where my first (long ago) bluebird came from was the individual who bought it directly from the district..

some of the smaller districts take more pride in their busses and may be able to find them in better shape.. though obviously rust is tough.. unless the district took extra care to spray off the salt every day from underneath.. (which most no one does).. Ohio inspectors are starting to care about rust now.. where as in the past they were absolute sticklers on mechanical conditions.. and if it didnt have any rust holes or structural rust they would pass it.. now they are starting to crack down on that.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote