Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
Scared to Post

Post What do you think of this deal?

Hello everyone,

I just found this forum and so far it's been a great resource for me. I'm just starting out on my skoolie project and I'm in the research and bus hunting phase.

I'm looking for some feedback on this craigslist ad. What are your first thoughts? Do you find it worth it to try to get an old bus running or would you buy one that already runs? I know there is no right or wrong answer - I just want to hear what others have to say about it!

I'm interested in the two smaller buses.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/pts/d...366691295.html

Thanks for your time!

jcbodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Don't know enough about the E350's to know how much different they are 6 years apart. New tranny in one may make the deal worth it depending on what they need, which we have no idea. Personally I'd rather start with something I can drive without issues, before the major work of a conversion on top of that.
If they are local to you in N.H. I would not even waste my time looking at buses rusting away in a field.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:52 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Most of your cost in dealing with a bus that's not running will be paying a mechanic, and depending on how expensive the parts are.

So, if you're a good mechanic that knows what you're doing, including rebuilding motors and transmissions, or at least uninstalling and reinstalling new/rebuilt ones, then you might find yourself a sweet deal with a non-running vehicle. Of course, you also have to first get it to wherever you are going to work on it, so, hopefully you have a tow truck too.

If you're not mechanically savvy, I'd go with something running and that's been thoroughly inspected by a mechanic.

My bus was running great...until it wasn't. I was very fortunate that some great people on here, and a good neighbor and friend who loves diesels, helped me overcome a tranny issue and most recently, no crank issues.

Just to give you an idea, a mechanic took 7.5 hours to get my bus running. I drove it two hours home and the next day it wouldn't start. 7.5 hours at $175 an hour, and we still had to fix it ourselves. We discovered the ECM was not working properly, but it may have been intermittent, not sure.

Yet, the interlock solenoid failed for some reason and two front panel fuses blew. In the three years I've owned the bus, my interlock has always worked and I've never blown a blade fuse. None of this was an issue before they worked on it.

Fortunately the shop manager was fair and I ended up a bit over $600, but things like this can really get costly quickly.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:02 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Most of your cost in dealing with a bus that's not running will be paying a mechanic, and depending on how expensive the parts are.

So, if you're a good mechanic that knows what you're doing, including rebuilding motors and transmissions, or at least uninstalling and reinstalling new/rebuilt ones, then you might find yourself a sweet deal with a non-running vehicle. Of course, you also have to first get it to wherever you are going to work on it, so, hopefully you have a tow truck too.

If you're not mechanically savvy, I'd go with something running and that's been thoroughly inspected by a mechanic.

My bus was running great...until it wasn't. I was very fortunate that some great people on here, and a good neighbor and friend who loves diesels, helped me overcome a tranny issue and most recently, no crank issues.

Just to give you an idea, a mechanic took 7.5 hours to get my bus running. I drove it two hours home and the next day it wouldn't start. 7.5 hours at $175 an hour, and we still had to fix it ourselves. We discovered the ECM was not working properly, but it may have been intermittent, not sure.

Yet, the interlock solenoid failed for some reason and two front panel fuses blew. In the three years I've owned the bus, my interlock has always worked and I've never blown a blade fuse. None of this was an issue before they worked on it.

Fortunately the shop manager was fair and I ended up a bit over $600, but things like this can really get costly quickly.
Real good eye opener Steve, these things can get real expensive real fast. I just spent a month chasing electrical gremlins to my entire rear light system, if that had been in a shop ya they would have found the problems sooner but you’re still paying search time.
Thanks for sharing all you’ve gone thru with this past trip.
Cheers
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford 7.3, short bus