Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Re: What is happening to this site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
I got this e-mail from Escapees today! God forbid that you criticize them on their forum. I forget that you can't post large images on their forum.

THANK YOU SKOOLIE.NET MODERATORS FOR BEING MORE UNDERSTANDING!!!!

Quote:
Hello,

You warning level has increased on http://www.rvnetwork.com due to going public with your grievances.

"They get picky about ..."

"They get picky about ..."

Rule #3: If you have any concerns, questions, or problems contact an Admin. Going public with your grievances is automatic grounds to be banned, regardless of your warn status.

These types of posts are not allowed are against the rules you agreed to upon joining. ... Sorry you feel that was not enough.
I'm a BAAAAAAAD person!

I wonder if my "warn" level will increase because I posted this here?
Eff them. They sound like Arky.
Now I've got this song stuck in my head:

Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Any site that let's the post'r decide if the comments left are "ok" for their post is...well...ugh....
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
If anyone bugs you too much, then go to your User Control Panel and add them to your Foe List.
The rub is in throwing out the baby with the bath water. I do have some members on the Foe List because their offensive content outweighs the good/useful stuff. Some of the same folks who aren't too sensitive about "tender" readers also are the first to point out the problems in a bus-related idea (mine or others). That's information we come here for! Better to see a blunt "Don't do that because...," or "What the hell are you thinking," than to discover the hard way.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

But what you can do is to read their posts until they get warped at which point you simply stop clicking on their posts. Or if you are the one with the bad day, you can simply not make the extra effort to read the posts.

For example: I am a proponent of using 10/3 heavy duty extension cords. Some on here are very vocal about not using those cords. I prefer to listen to a pro coach converter that I have gotten a great deal of good information & tips from and whom has been very helpful to me in the past with some very good advise regarding our old Eagle. What I do is simply do not click on those folks posts when they get on that particular subject. Do I miss some good info? Possibly. But it is not worth getting into an argument over something that is, no matter what your personal feelings are, OPINIONS. Much of the arguing on here is over OPINIONS. We all have them and we all tend to think our opinions are right and everyone else's is wrong. I have the OPINION the RV refrigerators are accidents just waiting to happen. It's not a matter of IF they catch fire, it's a matter of WHEN they catch fire. That is my OPINION. All the burned up RV's I have seen looks like the fire started in the refrigerator area. They scare me, plain & simple, so we do not have, nor have we ever had, an RV refrigerator. But there are many on here that have no problem putting what I consider a deathtrap in their bus conversion.

I feel we are all entitled to put our experiences and opinions out there. People are free to read and form their own OPINIONS as to what is right or wrong for them. There is no right or wrong way to convert a bus. No hard & fast rules. No "book" to go by. There are varying degrees of safety and difficulties. Tied closely to this is availability of money and time. There are time proven "best practices. But no Bus Conversion Police to say no you can't do that (not even the self appointed ones can say that with any authority). We can say "it's best to do it THIS way as opposed to THAT way because...". But anyone can build their bus even if it's to "firetrap" standards and no one can say otherwise with any authority. We do not HAVE to put in a shower. We do not HAVE to put in a certain type of toilet. We do not HAVE to put in a certain type of refrigerator. We do not HAVE to paint our buses a certain colour. We do not HAVE to build it a certain way. While I think some of you are totally NUTS over what you do to your bus, I also understand that you are building a completely personalized conversion. For that I am eternally grateful for the wide range of conversions and the freedom allowed to us to explore and then improve or dump any idea, no matter how far out there it is, and still enjoy the support and much needed criticism of the other forum members, albeit a bit harsh at times.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
But what you can do is to read their posts until they get warped at which point you simply stop clicking on their posts. Or if you are the one with the bad day, you can simply not make the extra effort to read the posts.
Point well taken - especially since I've had more than my share of bad days lately.

Quote:
For example: I am a proponent of using 10/3 heavy duty extension cords. Some on here are very vocal about not using those cords. I prefer to listen to a pro coach converter that I have gotten a great deal of good information & tips from and whom has been very helpful to me in the past with some very good advise regarding our old Eagle. What I do is simply do not click on those folks posts when they get on that particular subject. Do I miss some good info? Possibly. But it is not worth getting into an argument over something that is, no matter what your personal feelings are, OPINIONS. Much of the arguing on here is over OPINIONS. We all have them and we all tend to think our opinions are right and everyone else's is wrong. I have the OPINION the RV refrigerators are accidents just waiting to happen. It's not a matter of IF they catch fire, it's a matter of WHEN they catch fire. That is my OPINION. All the burned up RV's I have seen looks like the fire started in the refrigerator area. They scare me, plain & simple, so we do not have, nor have we ever had, an RV refrigerator. But there are many on here that have no problem putting what I consider a deathtrap in their bus conversion.
It may be your opinion that it's a matter of WHEN an RV fridge catches fire, but it's an opinion with scientific merit: like the fact that they typically use hydrogen (House refrigerators don't). As long as the gas is confined, OK. But if it leaks... (Not to mention the pilot light contacting spider webs and other organic material the owner fails to clean out) Not only that, but in the case of my Winnie, it's in a wooden cabinet right next to the side door.
Your post came to mind while I was working the wee hours this morning at Home Depot and passed a refrigerator that's almost the perfect size to replace my fire-and-ice box. Some simple screening can keep the bugs and spiders from slipping thru. the vent slats too.

Quote:
I feel we are all entitled to put our experiences and opinions out there. People are free to read and form their own OPINIONS as to what is right or wrong for them. There is no right or wrong way to convert a bus. No hard & fast rules. No "book" to go by. There are varying degrees of safety and difficulties. Tied closely to this is availability of money and time. There are time proven "best practices. But no Bus Conversion Police to say no you can't do that (not even the self appointed ones can say that with any authority)...
One of the biggest thing that appeals to me and my GF about bus conversions. "Don't like mine? Then get your own - they aren't supposed to be all alike!"
Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
.. I was working the wee hours this morning at Home Depot and passed a refrigerator that's almost the perfect size to replace my fire-and-ice box. Some simple screening can keep the bugs and spiders from slipping thru. the vent slats too.
Freight? I'm a BIA.

(viewed from inside)
We used a 14x14 vent and made a screen from a screen window kit. The panel will unscrew from the outside to allow access to the fiberglass screen. The diagonal pieces keep the screen panel from dropping into the bus. Does a good job of letting in the wind (and dust) without letting the bugs in. This is the same setup we did for the Class C. Here in NM, since the dust storms are so bad, I bought a pleated air filter (one of the cheap ones) and tore it apart. Spread the filter paper out and sandwiched it between the screening and the metal vent cover. Now the units can still stay cool but it keeps that super fine dust from piling up inside.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I do understand that if one runs the RV fridge using the propane system, they should keep a constant check on that system. I only used the propane several times while camping. For the years that I had that fridge (I took it out the Dodge class C and put it into my bus), I used the electrical heating element.

The fridge finally stopped working. It was my understanding that those types of fridges use ammonia for the cooling. I have never heard of them operating on hydrogen.

Mine developed a leak on the inside. The smell of ammonia was overwhelming. It took days of having the back door of my bus open for getting that ammonia out. I guess it was still gassing.

I have a little electric "dorm fridge" sitting on my countertop now. The best thing about winter here is that I can put a bunch of stuff in bins in the back of the bus and it is free refrigeration.

I did not remove my RV fridge yet. Perhaps in the spring, I will get a regular fridge to put where the RV fridge is.

I did something unusual with the existing RV fridge. When people see it, they ask in wonderment why I drilled a bunch of 1/2 inch hole in the doors of the fridge. I tell them it so the fridge will breath better. Now that really confuses them.

I open the doors to reveal a bunch of tools that I am storing in there. It is a lot easier to access the tools then the system that I had before when I had to remove a bunch of tool bins to get to other tools.

As well as I am on the storage subject, I also tell people that I have an oven full of food. I suppose that they are expecting to see a roast in there. I then open the oven door to reveal a nice stash of canned goods.

Obviously< i don't do any baking.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
.. I was working the wee hours this morning at Home Depot and passed a refrigerator that's almost the perfect size to replace my fire-and-ice box. Some simple screening can keep the bugs and spiders from slipping thru. the vent slats too.
Freight? I'm a BIA.
I'm a BIA, too!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
Bus Geek

[quote=Skunky Bus]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Skunky Bus":5fcva39h
Freight? I'm a BIA.
I'm a BIA, too![/quote:5fcva39h]

EEEK! So I guess you would understand if I said my "phone" was gone AGAIN this morning!

I'm hoping that I can get hired on again as a BIA when we shift to.... Albany (?) in another year or two. I like working as a BIA. I'm also trained to work as a cashier. I work Appliances and have recently been being put in Flooring. Sometimes I work Hardware. It's one of my BIA Depts and I know it pretty well (it's the "toy" dept for me).
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
EEEK! So I guess you would understand if I said my "phone" was gone AGAIN this morning!

I'm hoping that I can get hired on again as a BIA when we shift to.... Albany (?) in another year or two. I like working as a BIA. I'm also trained to work as a cashier. I work Appliances and have recently been being put in Flooring. Sometimes I work Hardware. It's one of my BIA Depts and I know it pretty well (it's the "toy" dept for me).
Hell, yes! A bigger problem for me is one phone with a scratched up laser lens. Mr. Magoo could read barcodes more easily than that thing. (Note to readers: we're talking about Windows "smart" (snicker) phones tuned in to Home Depot's proprietary network, used for monitoring inventory among other things. Not to single out H-D; many of you surely have your own war stories about shared workplace equipment that coworkers forget to return to the proper place at the end of their shift!

We've gone way off topic here...but in a good way. This thread started off objecting to lack of respect on the part of some Skoolie.netters, then an argument about such...and then veered off into friendly exchange. Too bad more disagreements don't end up this way.