Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What is high mileage?

I know this sounds like a super basic question but I view buses like big rigs. High mileage in a car is fatal, in a big truck they're often just getting broken in.
Just wondering what is actually considered to be high?

I see lots for sale with 200-300Km on them. In a car I'd pass but I don't know if that's kind of average for a school bus?

meldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
like any vehicle it all depends on the care its had... Big rigs last a long time becvause their owners wasnt them and need them to so they are up on their maintenance and fluid changes / pre and during-trip inspections, checks, etc...

some school systems and states are very strict on the requirements of the condition of their busses and therefore those with high mileage will be in good shape... others run them into the ground...

I think you just have to look, listen, smell, and observe a bus on a test drive... I know lots here buy busses sight unseen but i like to get my hands on it and you can usually tell if its overall condition is good or bad kind of giving an indication of how it may have been maintained..

if you are lucky you can find out the district it came from and get maint. records for that bus.. some have done it...

just like cars.. ive known the same year of the same car to be worn out at 100,000 miles and another owner to be on 250,000 and still going strong...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
I view buses like big rigs
Not quite, buses have medium duty engines and, while they are built similar I wouldn't expect to get the million miles that is common on the much larger semi engines. If running good I wouldn't be afraid of a 300,000 mile bus, but I don't think I would buy one with much over that.

I had two semis, one with a Series 60 Detroit and one with a N14 Cummins. The Detroit had 950,000 on it when I sold the truck, engine still strong. The Cummins had 1,500,000 on it when I retired. I did put rod and main bearings in it at about 900,000 but, wouldn't have had to, I just put the in because I had it opened up.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote