Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Re: What is your profession / trade ?

I'm a finish carpenter here in good ol' Iowa. My experience will help me tremendously once I get to my kitchen cabinet arrangement on "Buscephus". Now if only I knew electical, plumbing and diesel engines I would be in great shape!

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: DD 671
Rated Cap: 73

At the tender age of 22 Ive done a lot. Worked on movie sets, warehouses, a soy cheese factory, I even drove a shuttle bus for a little while. Now I own a bicycle shop and I am a certified bicycle mechanic (were talking about the kind with pedals, not harleys). I also play theremin, organ, and accordion every now then, with my band Here Comes A Big Black Cloud. We play the devils music, Rock and Roll.

here is the bike shop site:
http://www.abettercycle.com

and the band site (you might want to turn your speakers down before clicking this):
http://bdindependent.com/bbc/main.html
sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #23
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce
At the tender age of 22 Ive done a lot. Worked on movie sets, warehouses, a soy cheese factory, I even drove a shuttle bus for a little while. Now I own a bicycle shop and I am a certified bicycle mechanic (were talking about the kind with pedals, not harleys). I also play theremin, organ, and accordion every now then, with my band Here Comes A Big Black Cloud. We play the devils music, Rock and Roll.

here is the bike shop site:
http://www.abettercycle.com

and the band site (you might want to turn your speakers down before clicking this):
http://bdindependent.com/bbc/main.html

Good to see i'm not the only young'n, as alot of people in my area would say. i know what you mean about having done alot at the "tender age" of 22 (i was born same year as you). i'm jealous though, you actually got certified as a bike mechanic. i should have. i already knew all i needed to. i went to school at C.A.T. in eugene for 2 years. i actually have a friend who started racing on south eugene high's cycling team and is now on the us team (i used to tune his ride before races, lol). sometimes i wish i wouldn't have moved back east. it's so much nicer out there, lol.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: DD 671
Rated Cap: 73

Yeah, CAT sounds like an awesome place, never been there myself. But yeah, spent 2 weeks in May of 2006 at the United Bicycle Institute in Ashland, Oregon in the pro mechanic and shop operation class, that was the serious one. This past september I went back for 2 weeks to learn steel lugged frame building, way more fun, and I got to bring home my own custom frame.
sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #25
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce
Yeah, CAT sounds like an awesome place, never been there myself. But yeah, spent 2 weeks in May of 2006 at the United Bicycle Institute in Ashland, Oregon in the pro mechanic and shop operation class, that was the serious one. This past september I went back for 2 weeks to learn steel lugged frame building, way more fun, and I got to bring home my own custom frame.
i was going to build a custom lugged roadie frame when i was going to cat. that is until i ovalized the headtube on my mtb. i ended up machining a new one (really heavy single butted), unfortunately i didn't get a chance to weld it all together. i ended up hand shaping top and center tube gussets out of the old headtube. i even made a center gusset since i had to slightly shorten the triangle when i re-mitered it. the thing that sucks is, even though it's still at my dad's house, it's all rusted now. i even adjusted the headtube angle for my long travel fork (which is the reason the original was ovalized in the first place). oh well, one day i'll play with frame building again.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

started working in a machine shop at the age of 19, have been doing it 35 years. Also went to welding tech school back in the 70's and have been doing that just about as long. I run a one man machine/welding shop at a university in engineering working on research and teaching students how to machine, weld, etc to construct their masters and PHD projects (really is research under the direction of faculty member in their chosen speciality). Also do the same for intercollegate competitions ie: SAE formula race car, BUV (basic utility vehicle), solar car, super mileage, steel and wood bridge civil engineering competitions, and senior capstone (design) projects. I have been working on my own vehicles since 15 yo and have 7 of them I am carrying insurance on presently, last count. I bought the bus to haul Harleys up to Sturgis so I can keep a watchful eye on them and out of the elements. We take it out about 7 or 8 times a year camping, hauling loved ones, etc. and love every minute of it. I am very suprised how many young people that have gotten into this bus conversion fun. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief
I just hit my 10 year mark in the Air Force this past Saturday. I started out as a heavy aircraft mechanic. I worked on KC-10's and the E-3 AWACS. Then I cross trained and now I'm a flight engineer on the AWACS. I sit right behind the co-pilot and have a huge panel that I run during flight. I manage the engines, hydraulics, fuel, aircraft pressurization, electric power, and handle in flight emergencies. I also pre-flight the aircraft, and plan the flight such as the best altitude to fly at for the conditions. It's a pretty intense job, but I really love it. The AWACS is a pretty interesting plane. The crew consists of 23 people. Two pilots, a navigator and a flight engineer up front, and 19 people in the back that do various jobs like directing fighters and watching their backs for enemy aircraft, missiles, etc. We also do a lot of counter drug operations in South America.

Looks like your flying over my house!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #28
Skoolie

So as for me, I live in a ski town and done just about every job a snowboard bum could get without interfering with powder days. Stuff from delivering food, to driving a shuttle, to setting fence. Currently I'm starting a chalet company out here which provides all service inclusive high end vacations. Skiing, snowmobiling, dog sledding, backcountry trips/hut trips, we even cook, clean, and drive. In the summers, I work for a traveling motorcycle racing organization. a circus really. Well it feels like a circus sometimes, just noisier and faster. I started off as the track tire guy, like 500 sets a season, but now still do that amount and loads of other stuff too. Never gotten a raise though. Can't complain about the money, money can't buy the feeling of 100mph with your knee on the ground.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #29
Almost There

I'm a School bus mechanic for the local school division. I do safety inspections and any repairs that may be required as they come up. It's a great job, with a bunch of great people, and I can always get a good deal on parts 'cause I meet all the parts suppliers
Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #30
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick78EFI460
I'm a School bus mechanic for the local school division. I do safety inspections and any repairs that may be required as they come up. It's a great job, with a bunch of great people, and I can always get a good deal on parts 'cause I meet all the parts suppliers
Hey Rick,

Can we be friends?
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Chevrolet

I'm a mechanical engineer, working for a small contract company in San Francisco. Most all of the stuff I've worked on is consumer electronics-related, plastic injection molded parts, some sheetmetal. I am excited to start working on/learning about larger bus-related topics, rather than small cell phone parts!
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Started out as a certified Baker, then certified Chef (back in my home country, Switzerland) then moved to Canada and since Canadians do not seem to wanna honor these trades with a decent wage did i start looking for other income options. I worked a few seasons in the silviculture industry (tree planting, brushing, spacing, surveys etc.) and then joined the medical field.
I am a licensed paramedic and work for the provincial ambulance service (only part time in my community) work in the industry (Gas plant) as Security- First Aid.
Also got a Power engineering class 4 ticket, but never really used it.
Also tackled building my own house from beginning to end, call my self jack of all trades, master of none.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #33
Skoolie

And Swinada, you have an 8.3 Cummins. WOW! Not only have you done it all, but you have it all also. Lucky!
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
And Swinada, you have an 8.3 Cummins. WOW! Not only have you done it all, but you have it all also. Lucky!
nahhh, there is soooo much more to do..... next on the list...finish Bus then take bus to every Province in Canada and all around the states. (probably will not be able to hit every state, but the majority.)
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
Buster, you had better be at the gathering if we ever set a date. A real musician in our midst. Nice!!!! I wish i had talent, musical or other...sigh....
I'll be there, I hope that you are too. I'm sure I'll have a guitar or something and hope that I'm not the only one. Come one come all.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #36
Bus Nut

I'm a Journeyman sheetmetal worker. I stay in the shop 99% of the time doing specialty fabrication.
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

oh no b davis you are a tinbasher like me 20 years of it when will it ever end? timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

So which one of you wants to volunteer to bend up my firewall doghouse and new dash for my truck?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #39
Skoolie

Right now, I am an industrial electrician. I work for a well known infant formula company. I have only done the electrician thing for the past five years. I educated myself and was given a chance to apprentice and work my way up.

Funny thing, my college degree is in audio and video production. I spend my free time learning harmonica and guitar and mods to tube amplifiers.
Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

experience i have a doghouse from a 88 chevy van you can have!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote