Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 06:07 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
What Moron Pays This MUCH For Buses???

Public Surplus: Auction #1816109

Ok, so low mileage... But a 2003 with a Cat is currently at 17 grand???

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Exporters...

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Yeah there are those guys. If not them, its gota be some hot to trot tiny house guy/gal who just watched some HGTV and YouTube and is ready to travel the world lol.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah there are those guys. If not them, its gota be some hot to trot tiny house guy/gal who just watched some HGTV and YouTube and is ready to travel the world lol.
I have noticed a trend... And I have a feeling there will be a LOT of half converted messes for sale in the next year or 2.
I say messes because I don't feel some of them have any concept of what they are getting into​. Those half hour shows that make it look so easy and quick to go from kid hauler to off grid tiny home are not doing anyone any good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
I have noticed a trend... And I have a feeling there will be a LOT of half converted messes for sale in the next year or 2.
I say messes because I don't feel some of them have any concept of what they are getting into​. Those half hour shows that make it look so easy and quick to go from kid hauler to off grid tiny home are not doing anyone any good.

I think we see that trend... look how many people come here to the forum... "look at my new bus! I got the seats out.. im ready to rock!".. and then we hear nothing more of them... ever...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think we see that trend... look how many people come here to the forum... "look at my new bus! I got the seats out.. im ready to rock!".. and then we hear nothing more of them... ever...
-Christopher
True, and the few I have seen on Craigslist "partial conversion"... Seats out and the only thing inside is a sink or a bed... I am under no illusions. This isn't going to be easy. I have set a realistic goal of 1 year to get my bus usable (not finished, they never seem to be finished lol) fo me it is more of a project, not a home.

Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
There will be alot of them on Craigslist in the coming year or two. And the fools who overspent will be highly disappointed when they don't get a return on their money.
I had a vision, a dream.... It's turned into an awesome Hobby that I'll be proud of when I'm finished. Sure it's taking me longer than I thought it would and I'm still in demo stage but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. If they did a TV show of my conversion, it would run many Seasons lol. Now THAT would be a reality show. Blood, sweat and tears....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
Bus Geek

I look at my busses also as a hobby... for years it was restoring or resto-modding cars... i only ever Made money on one car that I sold.. simply because i bought a car that a guy didnt know what he had (nor did I)... turned out to be a really rare 1 of 100 type thing...

ive simply switched to school busses.. i wont make money on them and I probably wont keep any one bus forever... I'll end up doing what I always do.. buy them drive them build them then see something else and want it.. and sell one..
-Christopher
Old 04-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
I say messes because I don't feel some of them have any concept of what they are getting into​.
This is why I'm hopefully avoiding being part of that trend by looking into this and doing my research now for a project that probably won't be started for 4-5 years. If I spend my time doing research here, what is needed for this and that, costs of this and that. I hope that when I do actually start I'll be much more knowledgeable and will be able to break out of that stall-zone and finish my bus.
jonnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnichols View Post
This is why I'm hopefully avoiding being part of that trend by looking into this and doing my research now for a project that probably won't be started for 4-5 years. If I spend my time doing research here, what is needed for this and that, costs of this and that. I hope that when I do actually start I'll be much more knowledgeable and will be able to break out of that stall-zone and finish my bus.
theres a lot to be said for planning indeed, but theres also in my opinion going too far and talking oneself out of a project... one you may want to do.. 4-5 years is a long long pre-plan time.. way too long for me, though it may suit you fine, only you know yourself...

one thing about busses.. 4-5 years from now there will be a lot of advanced-emission-control busses on the market... the ones that are extremely costly to fix and have fragile engines due to all the Clean-disel technologies.. one botched Regen cycle can ruin an engine in extreme..

clean-diesel tech is very hard if not impossible to remove or bypass and still retain good MPG and driveability..

so an opinion of mine is many people realize this and are buying busses now.. while you can still get non-emission units.. this drives up the prices of course as there is more demand for busses..

there are also the planners, off-gridders, conspiracy theorists etc that want ot find ways to live off-grid now.. as these believe the "grid" as we know it will soon be destroyed or defunct... school busses are solid and stout - thus making for good long-lasting shelter in what they believe to be a coming crisis.. another up-driver of prices...

-Christopher
Old 04-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Public Surplus: Auction #1816109

Ok, so low mileage... But a 2003 with a Cat is currently at 17 grand???

There goes my dream of starting a thread to brag about my new bus!
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
theres a lot to be said for planning indeed, but theres also in my opinion going too far and talking oneself out of a project... one you may want to do.. 4-5 years is a long long pre-plan time.. way too long for me, though it may suit you fine, only you know yourself...

one thing about busses.. 4-5 years from now there will be a lot of advanced-emission-control busses on the market... the ones that are extremely costly to fix and have fragile engines due to all the Clean-disel technologies.. one botched Regen cycle can ruin an engine in extreme..

clean-diesel tech is very hard if not impossible to remove or bypass and still retain good MPG and driveability..

so an opinion of mine is many people realize this and are buying busses now.. while you can still get non-emission units.. this drives up the prices of course as there is more demand for busses..

there are also the planners, off-gridders, conspiracy theorists etc that want ot find ways to live off-grid now.. as these believe the "grid" as we know it will soon be destroyed or defunct... school busses are solid and stout - thus making for good long-lasting shelter in what they believe to be a coming crisis.. another up-driver of prices...

-Christopher
LOl yup

My 92 is EMP-proof!
Old 04-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
LOl yup

My 92 is EMP-proof!
Mine too.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Well, but I'd rather talk myself out of something than to jump the gun and buy half of it and try to bail out in the middle. :P

Good point about the newer buses. See, this is good information to know.
jonnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnichols View Post
Well, but I'd rather talk myself out of something than to jump the gun and buy half of it and try to bail out in the middle. :P

Good point about the newer buses. See, this is good information to know.
2004 and up is where I draw the line.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #16
Bus Geek

2007 ands up is the real line....

Pre 1995 / 96 ALL mechanical.. no computers whatsoever for the most part.. (exceptions of course.. - ALL 444E's are electronic, some mechanical DT-466s made it up through 98 / 99

95/96 - 2004 ( or so) - electronic computer program driven fuel injected diesel engines. little to no Emissions equipment.

2004 - 2007 - Tier 1 emissions... EGR, more advanced burn control, hotter running turbos, - still very workable.., many updates available for Navistar VT-365 / ford 6.0 to make them solid.

2008 - Present - Tier 2/3 Emission controls, EGR, DPF (exhaust filter), Urea Injection (DEF fluid), Regen cycles... the stuff that is very expensive to work on and near impossible to remove / disable, against the law to remove / disable.. many states inspect for it...

(Columbus ohio does NOT inspect for emissions..){DMV at great southern looks at bus, says "cool bus" and writes title}.. (I see one of the interested is here in Cbus.. both of my busses are here if you want to see and look around at examples of a full mechanical, and a non emission computer-controlled)

-Christopher
Old 04-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Did that say over 26k for a bus?
Granted there are expensive new and this is a newer set of wheels but, seriously 26,000+?
I paid a tenth of that for my bus and I had offers to part it out before I got it home.
I could have abandoned my skoolie long before I got it home and made money on the drivetrain, tires, glass and some body parts.
Thankfully, I did not because I am loving the skoolie and M998 life now!
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
Did that say over 26k for a bus?
Granted there are expensive new and this is a newer set of wheels but, seriously 26,000+?
I paid a tenth of that for my bus and I had offers to part it out before I got it home.
I could have abandoned my skoolie long before I got it home and made money on the drivetrain, tires, glass and some body parts.
Thankfully, I did not because I am loving the skoolie and M998 life now!

M998?

You have a hmmwv?
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Late to the game; but I'd pay more than that for a bus if I liked it, a LOT. ...and ouch, I still have a bus that basically only has the seats out. ;)
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:46 AM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
P.S. Anything later than 1989 is too new for me.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote