Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
What’s your current challenge?

Just thought I’d start a thread where we can share the project, big, small, or tiny, that’s currently frustrating or challenging us right now. A little place to vent, commiserate, maybe share ideas!

For me, it’s a tiny one: one bolt holding the transmission output speed sensor on my Allison 3000. The bolt is rusty, so it’s already hard to grab, and some knucklehead before me installed the right angle connector in such a way that it interferes with the bolt head. No particular reason for doing it that way, just silliness.

I decided to spray it with PB blaster and come back to it another day.

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Great thread idea! And I like your solution - spray it down and come back another day. With a fresh mind a PB-soaked bolt, the problem may not seem so bad when you attack it next time.

I'm struggling with a problem other Crown owners will sympathize with: how to install a tow hitch. I recently bought a tired old Jeep and a fancy tow bar/brake system to tow it with. Unfortunately, I don't have a hitch yet because my frame ends ~6' from the rear of the bus. My engineer father and I have been crawling for days all over the ground, in the 'trunk', up in the rear fuel tank access hatch trying to figure out a workable solution. After many hours, 4 or 5 design changes, and at least 20 pages of 'preliminary' calculations, I think we finally have a workable design. I'll come back here to vent when this new plan falls apart
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:33 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International/IC Bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 78
Isn't it funny how 1 bolt can ruin your day or even an entire task/project? Been there before, many times. Sometimes PB and a night to sleep on it is the best thing you can do. Also, Try Aerokroil for better results. It kicks PB's but in my opinion.

My current challenge is fighting my own OCD and overthinking. I'm at the phase where I'm beginning the interior rough-ins, framing, etc. It's a lot of different infrastructure that all needs to work together and requires a lot of foresight. I find myself overthinking and trying to account for all possible scenarios and then getting less done than I anticipated. I find that its easier to make a check list and then just start working through it, think ahead while I'm doing those items, and address them as they come.

Thinking about wiring routing, plumbing routing, framing, etc. and how they all affect each other and depend on each other is overwhelming. I general contracted my own home build, wired the house entirely from pole to outlet, installed flooring, etc. I've gutted and remodeled entire homes, built sheds and pole buildings from scratch, poured all of my own concrete, wired vehicles, tuned vehicles, custom suspension fabrication, sheet metal work,...the list goes on. I don't say any of that to boast, but I say it to show that even with all of that experience in my pocket...a bus build is overwhelming at times.

I think this is mainly because there is a market for custom cars and home building and industry standards that have developed from the growth of those markets. Bus conversions, mainly skoolies, are fairly new and there's no solid roadmap to complete a project. I often have to remind myself, however, that the problem solving and challenges are what makes it fun and gives you the feeling of accomplishment. It's just hard to see that when you're living it.
RamRod4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Along with the PB Blaster I've cut a slot in the head of a rounded off bolt, inserted a flat blade screwdriver and using a hammer taped and turned the bolt out. In a tight space a hacksaw blade wrapped in a rag as a grip works well for the cut.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: Cat C7 7.3L
Rated Cap: 90 Passenger
Heat. In Southern Nevada. waiting for payday in Nevada during a heat wave is not a great day. Can't. Believe. I'm gonna say this... but looking forward to getting to the Cali coast for a while.
enigmamdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRod4 View Post
Thinking about wiring routing, plumbing routing, framing, etc. and how they all affect each other and depend on each other is overwhelming. I general contracted my own home build, wired the house entirely from pole to outlet, installed flooring, etc. I've gutted and remodeled entire homes, built sheds and pole buildings from scratch, poured all of my own concrete, wired vehicles, tuned vehicles, custom suspension fabrication, sheet metal work,...the list goes on. I don't say any of that to boast, but I say it to show that even with all of that experience in my pocket...a bus build is overwhelming at times.
It's really good to hear you say this. I have similar work and hobby related life experience as well, and it has not proven nearly as useful as I hoped it would I figured my struggles were due to early-onset alzheimers

There's a world of difference between building a structure from the ground-up, and building one within the constraints of a crooked, curved, convoluted metallic shell and everthing that goes in,on,under, and around in. Pretty sure of all the time we've spent building our bus so far, 90% was scratching our heads trying to figure out how to pound a square peg into a round hole.

After this bus is done, our next project will be building a small home/cabin on a bit of land we hope to secure shortly. Before the bus, just the thought of taking on a project like that would seem overwhelming. Now - I'm looking forward to it because it will be easy

Great thread, dbsoundman! Right now, my current challenge is working up the motivation to work through another summer here in God's toaster oven.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:59 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
It's really good to hear you say this. I have similar work and hobby related life experience as well, and it has not proven nearly as useful as I hoped it would I figured my struggles were due to early-onset alzheimers

There's a world of difference between building a structure from the ground-up, and building one within the constraints of a crooked, curved, convoluted metallic shell and everthing that goes in,on,under, and around in. Pretty sure of all the time we've spent building our bus so far, 90% was scratching our heads trying to figure out how to pound a square peg into a round hole.

After this bus is done, our next project will be building a small home/cabin on a bit of land we hope to secure shortly. Before the bus, just the thought of taking on a project like that would seem overwhelming. Now - I'm looking forward to it because it will be easy

Great thread, dbsoundman! Right now, my current challenge is working up the motivation to work through another summer here in God's toaster oven.

Sounds like you’re just as much of a glutton for punishment as I am. All self-induced of course.

My project list starts like….finish the interior of my shop, add a shipping container office to the shop, build a industrial/heavy steel style kids clubhouse on top of that, finish the other half of our basement, and then maybe have time to start restoring my 68 GTO convertible.

I figure I’ll get it all done sometime in the next few decades but my 30’s have gotten off to a quick start!
Old 05-26-2022, 07:32 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Sounds like you’re just as much of a glutton for punishment as I am. All self-induced of course.

My project list starts like….finish the interior of my shop, add a shipping container office to the shop, build a industrial/heavy steel style kids clubhouse on top of that, finish the other half of our basement, and then maybe have time to start restoring my 68 GTO convertible.

I figure I’ll get it all done sometime in the next few decades but my 30’s have gotten off to a quick start!

Nope. You got me beat, sir! But I'm OK with that. I'm in my 50s, and the last thing I'm interested in is adding more projects to my list. Build a bus, build a small home, rebuild my GSX-R, and then it's Miller Time por vida (5 years, tops)

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:44 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Nope. You got me beat, sir! But I'm OK with that. I'm in my 50s, and the last thing I'm interested in is adding more projects to my list. Build a bus, build a small home, rebuild my GSX-R, and then it's Miller Time por vida (5 years, tops)

Ironically, I have a an 06/07 (I think) gsxr 750 motor/trans out in the shop waiting to go into a go kart with all my spare time lol
Old 05-26-2022, 07:49 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:

what 30's?
already made a family camper bus and now kids are grown and gone and now my wife is a travelling lab tech so i am building a shorty for her.
her last contract was an hour from the house so i had help every night and every weekend from her on her bus?
oh my lord?
i dont like this?
i want finished floor under the finished framing you need to pull the framing?
how are you going to anchor the framing now that the finished floor is down?
well now the framing is 3/8" taller than what i wanted how are you gonna fix that.
long story short?
she is the owner that i am building for and its ok that she got to take part into what she wants.
since she has left for her work assignment i have kind of taken a break for a few weekends and a few for weather.
was gonna pressure wash and paint for solar but my pressure washer needs unobtainable parts. so on to going through the maitenance on the motor and rebuilding the A/C system for dash A/C verses front and rear.
momma demanded the rear goes away and my 22 year old mechanic son told momma the underskirt condensor will fit behind the grill and it does but.
it dont stop there to make that work?
i am tired just talking about.
you call this thread struggles?
some of is more constraints than struggles.
which constraint to tackle next?
i read a post saying they caint walk through there 40'bus without finding something to do.
pic a task and finish it to your expectation and i can promise you will question your finished decision everytime you look at it.with finishes.
nothing is ever perfect.
and age shows things that you never thought was a problem.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:09 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Love this thread idea.

I fortunately have not had the (dis)pleasure of working on too many stripped, or worse, snapped bolts and am not looking forward to my next.

My current challenge is figuring out a schedule to get back to AZ to try the next few troubleshooting steps in getting my 7.6 issue with loss of power/stall sorted out. Really hoping it's just the ICP sensor but afraid its leaking puck seals. Sensors I can do, but opening the valve cover is something I can't do on my own where it's at which will mean a trip to a shop... but every week I look at for the road trip down there has an obstacle in the way. Looking like July now - which is not a great time of year to do outdoor work in Phoenix!!!
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:16 AM   #12
Bus Nut

On stuck bolts, I've found that trying to tighten it just a tiny bit will help loosen it, much like rocking back and forth can help get you out of a mudhole. Occasionally though, tightening it first results in a quiet little snap, then removing the part is suddenly no problem at all.

My current challenge - rain. I live on a hillside, so when I want room to do something I have to build it. Right now I want an RV pad, and I've cleared the area I want to put it at. Lot of tough little trees taken down with an axe although towards the end I broke down and got a chainsaw. Now I need to do some dirt work, but on my days off it likes to rain. The only time it doesn't rain on my days off is when I'll be busy away from home. When I have time to work at home, rumble rumble rain rain. It's maddening sometimes! Anyway, do some dirtwork, put in a retaining wall, pack it in, and put concrete on top, and I have an RV pad to start my bus build with. Going to put a 40ft container on one side and roof the whole thing over so I'll have a dry place to work as well as a place to store my crap right next to the work area. But before I can do that, I need to build a retaining wall, and to do that I need a few dry weeks and no other stuff going on.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:32 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
front right wheel

It has been raining here for several days....

I backed up and sank six inches.... rear tires spun...

go forwards six inches and sank some more....

I started to get out the bottle jacks, jack stands, cribbing......

looked at the trees behind me.... I would end up at more than a 45 degree pull either one.

call tow truck

10 foot of winching ... six mile drive for tow truck = $260

worth it.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:28 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
On stuck bolts, I've found that trying to tighten it just a tiny bit will help loosen it, much like rocking back and forth can help get you out of a mudhole. Occasionally though, tightening it first results in a quiet little snap, then removing the part is suddenly no problem at all.

My current challenge - rain. I live on a hillside, so when I want room to do something I have to build it. Right now I want an RV pad, and I've cleared the area I want to put it at. Lot of tough little trees taken down with an axe although towards the end I broke down and got a chainsaw. Now I need to do some dirt work, but on my days off it likes to rain. The only time it doesn't rain on my days off is when I'll be busy away from home. When I have time to work at home, rumble rumble rain rain. It's maddening sometimes! Anyway, do some dirtwork, put in a retaining wall, pack it in, and put concrete on top, and I have an RV pad to start my bus build with. Going to put a 40ft container on one side and roof the whole thing over so I'll have a dry place to work as well as a place to store my crap right next to the work area. But before I can do that, I need to build a retaining wall, and to do that I need a few dry weeks and no other stuff going on.

I know the feeling. When it just seems you’re creating more projects just to get one project started.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:29 AM   #15

Here's another trick to getting that loose. Get yourself a chisel set and use one that has a flat tip on it and bang the bolt with it and a hammer it several places. It will loosen and break up some of the rust. But heat is your best friend in these situations if you can. They also make an induction heat tool.
NickySix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:07 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Todays challenge is fortunately looking very easy to resolve.

Got going on the road today and noticed the turn signal stick felt kind of weird. Went to signal left…it just flopped around. I’m guessing my 2 year old broke it at some point this weekend while “driving” the bus in the driveway.

For once, googling a bus problem yielded a helpful result!
http://schoolbusmechanic.blogspot.com/2008/02/thomas-buses-how-to-replace-signal.html?m=1

Looked up the part at Napa and THEY HAVE IT IN STOCK 13 miles from here! Picking it up in an hour, fingers crossed.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:37 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Dropped off the B700 at the truck shop.

Getting belts/hoses/cac hoses and other wear items replaced. Oil change, chassis lube and inspection. Fuel gauge fixed. Boost/pyrometer gauges installed.

Hope to get KDP kit, #6 fuel plate, 3kgs, head retorque, wire the wastegate shut and A545 to A2000 swap done while she's there and see where that puts road speed.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:10 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
My challenge is just getting back to work and doing literally anything on the bus again. I painted the outside last August and then spent September training to be a school bus driver. The rest of Fall I prepped the inside for painting and painted my two emergency exit doors but nothing since. Just three more weeks to the school year and then I'm hoping I can get back into my "do at least something on the bus every day" habit.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:08 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Camioneta View Post
Dropped off the B700 at the truck shop.

Getting belts/hoses/cac hoses and other wear items replaced. Oil change, chassis lube and inspection. Fuel gauge fixed. Boost/pyrometer gauges installed.

Hope to get KDP kit, #6 fuel plate, 3kgs, head retorque, wire the wastegate shut and A545 to A2000 swap done while she's there and see where that puts road speed.
la camioneta, if you wired that waste gate shut..... figure 30 psi safe maximum for boost. because of the head bolts/ gaskets. exhaust gas temperature gage would be a good idea. fuel pressure gage for the lift pump you want to see 5-7 psi at idle and 30 psi foot to the floor.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:09 PM   #20
Bus Nut

New challenge - was thinking of finally dipping my toe in the water. I sent a PM to Asetechrail about a bus he's selling. Then AC number one on my house fails. Right after that was dealt with, AC number 2 fails. Each are 3 ton units, and the house needs both to stay cool. Just one isn't enough, one can just about manage a 10 degree drop and that ain't cutting it on a 90+ degree day immediately after thunderstorms saturated the ground. So, there goes me looking at a bus again until sometime next year unless I can swing some major overtime.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote