Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 11:41 PM   #1

What type of power needed for pulling an FJ Cruiser?

Hello everyone!

I’ve been in quite the planning stages of getting a bus in the next year or so. I’ve been reading A LOT of great information on this site and starting to see what a great community this really is!

Anyways, my girlfriend and I have been planning on getting out of the city (Orange County Ca) and planning to start building a nice Skoolie to live in full time. Basically I’m looking for guide in the right direction for the type of bus/engine,trans combo for my setup.

I would probably like to go with a 40’ bus “Dognose” style, reading that they are typically better for handling/power as I drive trucks at my current job quite often and do not mind the noise in the front. However I feel like having a bus that long AND be able to pull an FJ Cruiser might be too much for it and or dangerous.
Although I have seen plenty of people who have seemingly no problems towing vehicles on a flatbed. However my lady, who owns said FJ, says that her family towed it with their RV by tow bar, I believe? and have had no issues with that.
Also looking at doing a possible roof raise as well possibly 12”-20”

I’m HOPEFULLY planning on traveling across the States so will need power for those steep mountains and what not. I probably won’t be taking too many unimproved roads while towing as it will be detached whenever we stop so hopefully the won’t be any issues.

Bottom Line
Is 40’ too long for pulling a vehicle?

If not what length should I look into?

Looking at finding something with a DT466 engine and AT545 or if possible a MT643 trans. Any buses too look out for with this combination? And or better options for more power if need be.

And any other info, recommendations, telling me I’m crazy.
All is appreciated

Thanks!
Jason

Jasonbrown177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Stay away from the 545 if you plan to tow. It will overheat from what I hear. I just got home from flat towing a Jeep Cherokee all the way across the country and up the California coast and to glacier national park. Plenty of mountains.

My bus is a flat nose RE 37’ with a 210hp CAT 3126 and MD 3060.

Didn’t set any land speed records but it did fine over the 7000 miles i drove it.

I think you’ll want a 643 or 2000/3000 series if you want to tow in a full size bus. Be ready to take your time though.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbrown177 View Post
Hello everyone!

I’ve been in quite the planning stages of getting a bus in the next year or so. I’ve been reading A LOT of great information on this site and starting to see what a great community this really is!

Anyways, my girlfriend and I have been planning on getting out of the city (Orange County Ca) and planning to start building a nice Skoolie to live in full time. Basically I’m looking for guide in the right direction for the type of bus/engine,trans combo for my setup.

I would probably like to go with a 40’ bus “Dognose” style, reading that they are typically better for handling/power as I drive trucks at my current job quite often and do not mind the noise in the front. However I feel like having a bus that long AND be able to pull an FJ Cruiser might be too much for it and or dangerous.
Although I have seen plenty of people who have seemingly no problems towing vehicles on a flatbed. However my lady, who owns said FJ, says that her family towed it with their RV by tow bar, I believe? and have had no issues with that.
Also looking at doing a possible roof raise as well possibly 12”-20”

I’m HOPEFULLY planning on traveling across the States so will need power for those steep mountains and what not. I probably won’t be taking too many unimproved roads while towing as it will be detached whenever we stop so hopefully the won’t be any issues.

Bottom Line
Is 40’ too long for pulling a vehicle?

If not what length should I look into?

Looking at finding something with a DT466 engine and AT545 or if possible a MT643 trans. Any buses too look out for with this combination? And or better options for more power if need be.

And any other info, recommendations, telling me I’m crazy.
All is appreciated

Thanks!
Jason
For towing, engine choice is less important than getting the right transmission and gearing.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Howdy and welcome Jason!

No, the length has nothing to do with towing. Of course, the longer you are, the more restricted you are (in terms of maneuvering and such). I'm about 60' end to end - very common in the RV world.

In regards to the tow vehicle itself (known as the "toad" as it is being 'towed')...

This is a regular discussion in the RV world. Many vehicles cannot be towed four down due to transmission/drive-train issues. Some can be modified but that is not always affordable or convenient. One of the reasons you see so many Jeep's (particularly Wranglers and Cherokee's) being towed is that they are built for it - slip the differential into neutral and off you go (basically). They are also light which is significant.

So, I'd suggest you first research whether or not the FJ is four down towable or what is required to make it possible.

If possible, the current crop of tow bars makes things really easy. I use a Ready Brute Elite bar but there are several good options (such as BlueOx) that allow very easy connect/disconnect. Takes about 3 minutes.

If not possible, you are stuck with a dolly or trailer. I've towed that way and find it terribly inconvenient (for my full-time style of use). Plus you have the hassle of the dolly/trailer to deal with after the vehicle is off. All that said, people do it and survive so it is certainly an option.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Jason,

JD covered it pretty well. I will strongly second what he says about towing in a trailer can be a real PITA. Tow dolly is not quite as bad.

I spent six years traveling full time and towing. I found that towing four wheels down with a collapsible tow bar to be, by far, the easiest.

There is a good bit of info over on RV.net regarding toads:https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...s/forum/31.cfm
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote