Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 11:23 PM   #1

What's in your garage?

I tend to be a prepared not paranoid type of person. I know you can't prepare for all emergencies and even having spare tires takes up a lot of room.

I was wondering what types of issues you have had on the road and if you were prepared for them?

Did you have oil and fuses? Coolant and belts? Rope and chains? Is there anything you would recommend having that you didn't know you needed? I am being a spaz?

Rollin Gnome-Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I keep a gallon of oil, a gallon of water, some basic tools, a funnel, and a fuel can in the bus most of the time. Oh, and some fuel additive.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:24 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Chevrolet 427
I'm not on the road yet and I'm also a mechanic, so my garage is going to be a little bit different. I actually plan on having a large toolbox and a stand-up air compressor in my toolbox.

Will this end up being useful out on the road? Maybe, maybe not?
Placeholder Bus Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:32 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Indeed, fuel additive is a must. We had a batch of bad fuel on our last trip. A little fuel additive cleared it right up.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:34 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Sam- what is that smell that all the diesel additives give off?
Old 06-30-2020, 01:07 AM   #6
Bus Geek

I did not notice as it went into the tank and once it was rolling, I did not smell the exhaust 'cause I wanted to get on with the trip. Perhaps next time I will take note. Sorry.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:16 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Come to think about it ... I am guessing it is some sort of sulphur based compound. The main problems one encounters with "bad fuel" are water in the fuel or microbes/bacteria. The bacteria does not like sulphur and sulphur will absorb water in the fuel. Diesel fuels *used to* have a shelf life upwards of 10 years until the low sulphur content fuels were mandated (to help control acid rain). Now it is 90 days!
Old 06-30-2020, 07:14 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Come to think about it ... I am guessing it is some sort of sulphur based compound. The main problems one encounters with "bad fuel" are water in the fuel or microbes/bacteria. The bacteria does not like sulphur and sulphur will absorb water in the fuel. Diesel fuels *used to* have a shelf life upwards of 10 years until the low sulphur content fuels were mandated (to help control acid rain). Now it is 90 days!
90 days, huh? I had better get something in my tank then. What's your flavor preference? I don't foresee my rig flying down the road for at least 6 more months, more like 9-12 before it's rolling often enough to not need something in it all the time.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
I dont' think so. Its not pungent, its got a real odd chemical smell. I can smell diesel additive from 20 feet away as soon as the bottle is opened. I'll only open and pour it with gloves on cause the smell stays on hands for days.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
90 days, huh? I had better get something in my tank then. What's your flavor preference? I don't foresee my rig flying down the road for at least 6 more months, more like 9-12 before it's rolling often enough to not need something in it all the time.

Here is a good read about storing diesel and what may be done about problems with fuels. Oh, I misread it ... 90 days for gasoline 28 days for diesel.

There are lots of products. Diesel 911 is one. I recently used another product with the same ingredients ... but I do not remember the name. Also, an anti-bacterial is a good thing.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Indeed, fuel additive is a must. We had a batch of bad fuel on our last trip. A little fuel additive cleared it right up.
Just so I am clear, it is possible to get bad fuel right from a fuel station?
Rollin Gnome-Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Gnome-Mad View Post

Buy diesel from a dealer that sells lots of it, like truck stops. Not smaller stations where fuel may sit longer. More contaminants this way at smaller venues.
Each fillup is a gamble though if you don't add algaecide protection in hot climates. Winter fuel is another story where water and fuel gelling can be problems if your bus sits very long. These are not car engines and most think they don't need to pay attention to these matters.
Cheap insurance to stay on top of fuel choices and fuel filter maintenance more regularly than cars.

John
Old 07-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Gnome-Mad View Post
Absolutely...

The fuel is stored in underground tanks at most service stations.
Through time water and dirt accumulate in the bottom of the storage tanks.
The storage tanks should be serviced just like anything else but...
If the storage tank is low when you get fuel then it starts pulling from the layer of water/crud at the bottom, or if you ever pull into a service station and see the tanker truck filling the storage tank -- that action can stir up the sludge on the bottom of the tank -- I never buy fuel if I see a tanker truck there...

Less likely is a leak in the tank allowing ground water in -- this is very unlikely with better EPA laws and guidelines -- however with the program/enforcement cuts made over the last 3½ years leaky tanks will probably become a problem again...

Above ground tanks are more susceptible to temperature change and condensation issues...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote