Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
What's the difference between a BB & a Thomas?

Has anyone owned both? I am speaking about RE models. Is there a difference or is it just preference? I like the fact that some of the Thomas busses have the raised roof. My Bluebird is about 6'3" in the middle. I think it would be nice to have the extra headroom on the sides with the taller roof on the Thomas. What about chassis and body?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: What's the difference between a BB & a Thomas?

Well, I own one and I occaisionally drive the other at work and I would say there's way more similarities than differences. They both use a lot of the same components- same brand heaters, same air throttle, same windows, same engines/trannys, etc. Engine layouts are pretty similar. You can get a BB with the same roof raise (at least the new ones). The Thomas windows tilt in ever so slightly so there's actually more width at the roof in a BB. The chassis' are very similar. BB builds their own chassis for the flat nose buses (don't know about Thomas) so they're not identical I'm sure. I would say the differences come down to preference. I know that BB built a TC 2000 RE and the All-American RE and that the Thomas Saf-T-LinerRE is built heavier like the All-American. I really like my older Thomas- it is dead quiet up front going down the road and the BB I drive has some creaks in it.
Rick
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote