Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2022, 06:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Wheelchair lift for lifting large bags of groceries

Sometimes when we come out of the grocery store, those bags can get to be pretty heavy. And if they are almost too heavy to carry up the steps, having the lift onboard could come in handy. Heavy items can be like laundry detergent or large dog food bags. For the lift power control, you would want that to be on the main control panel in the driver's area. Carpenter often used the "elevator" type of wheelchair lift" which a handle you pull one way for it to go up and push the other way in order for it go down. But you can add switches near the area where you want the lift to be.

1964 Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
They take up quite a bit of space
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
x2 on taking up valuable interior space.
Not sure if you're just "thinking" out loud or you have a lift in your bus already but unless you plan on doing a lot of heavy lifting/hauling, or have actual handicap needs, it might make sense to not install one or to remove an existing one.
Whatever the case may be?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:56 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Every wheelchair lift bus I've used or seen being used has the control switches right by the lift itself (not counting the switch up front which turns the mechanism on or off). It wouldn't really make sense to have it arranged any other way since the driver is usually responsible for making sure the wheelchair is in proper position as well as operating the lift itself.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf t liner
Engine: Cat C7 Diesel
Rated Cap: 24 and 3 wheelchairs
We're leaving ours in for our disabled daughters wheelchair and it does take up a lot of space to keep, the controls are by the lift and are operated from outside, and can it is hard to insulate the area.
Roci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I'm still dreaming of affording my own bus... I'm a 70 year old retired bus driver on Social Insecurity, so it may stay a dream! But in any case, since I'm disabled and still drive, I'd love that wheelchair lift... my ideal would be one of those rear-engine Thomas 31-footers, or a Class A with the lift towards the rear... so I have plenty room for a bed and kitchen stuff, etc. I have noticed here, and on Facebook groups, that most builders are using the door to put out a deck or load stuff in, and removing the lift. Well, I'm one old goat who would be thankful for a lift!
Old 01-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

What about a spot under a sofa or backside of a cabinet where you could load heavy items thru an exterior door. A passthrough.
rebapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Groceries?

You can get lightweight groceries. And you can pack bags that weigh only as much as you can handle.

My biggest problem in life is getting groceries out of my car when I get home and into the house.

They have people at some of the nicer grocery stores that will help you get your stuff into your car. Heck if you're nice I'll even do it at Walmart if you give them a chance.

Drive your bus to the store and have them load it for you!!

If someone has congestive heart failure is on oxygen or uses a scooter all the time for mobility... A mobile RV or school bus life is going to be pretty difficult to manage By yourself.

But here's the thing... You can drive your bus to an area with good coverage on websites like care.com and purchase help!! Cleaning... Housework... Etc ...

Another half measure is to get a crane like you'd put in the back of a pickup truck for lifting engine blocks. Put that by the handicap door. Then you can handle lifting cargo and getting it raised up.

That doesn't take up that much space and would actually lift stuff up for you.

I would imagine logistically it would work better next to a handicap door than a front door with steps.

Get a bag like they have from waste Management... The bag dumpsters. A small bagster. You can load all groceries into that bag and then lift it all up at once.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1627634292
rgjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:16 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
If I had a lift I’d bring the whole shopping cart inside and unload it from there. I’m sure my kids would have fun with it too.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:44 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
My lift doubles as an out door adjustable height work table or place to sit.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:43 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: Unsure.Handicap bus
My lift will load and unload a full size Harley. Probably not a Road King, but I have had Sportsters (883 and 1200) and Dynas in and out with not very much difficulty. And a couple of people in wheelchairs as well.
My lift is rated up to 900 pounds. Controls are right next to the lift on the sode rear door.
Mr_Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote