Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
Traveling

When you work from home, do you have to wear official clothes?

[Site team note: this user was a spammer, and got banned. leaving the thread in place since it got legit responses.]

Hi guys!

I've been in Zoom/Skype meetings and seen people in less than stylish clothing (old T-shirts, wrinkled dress shirts, tank tops, and in one case what clearly looked to be pajama tops). Our dress code is primarily business casual and on certain occasions a suit and tie for men.
Anyway, I just wear a simple, pressed, clean T-shirt and jeans for online. How about you? Anything you do different -- or the same?

Baraddug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Absolute slob here. Jammies/sweat pants and tees have become the norm. I'm seeing more and more bedheads in meetings as well.

Depends on where you work, really. And what the culture is like. At my work for instance, people are constantly announcing new family members and pictures of travel, adventure or just life into the general collaboration rooms. So people are pretty comfortable. If your office culture is cooperative and human where people socialize quite a bit, its going to be lax. If its corporate and top-down where everyone is at arms length, then deterioration of dress code will be looked down upon.

Not going to rail on one way or the other, its a preference more than anything.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Interesting topic. I think whatever the normal for your regular work should be the same normal for video meetings. For the most part. I will admit to attending more than one meeting in the last few months wearing a white shirt and tie, and a pair of comfortable sports shorts! I found out that is the daily attire for my brother who has meetings every day. For most of the meetings I am in, I am the host participant. I have stopped the video feed on at least one other person because their actions were distracting to the other meeting attendees. I think professionalism is still important and should be expected.

I have also been surprised at the background in some of the videos I have seen. If my house looked like that, I would light a match and run away as fast as I can!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
My work is business casual. But at home I keep it jeans and t-shirt. Nothing ragged or wrinkled. I shave as much as I have to without looking like a bum.

I'm very flexible for everyone else. This is a situation where many are forced to work from home and don't have a dedicated office so there are sometimes interruptions. I have worked from home a lot over the past 15 years so I have a dedicated office and a good work dress regime.
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Absolute slob here. Jammies/sweat pants and tees have become the norm. I'm seeing more and more bedheads in meetings as well.

Depends on where you work, really. And what the culture is like. At my work for instance, people are constantly announcing new family members and pictures of travel, adventure or just life into the general collaboration rooms. So people are pretty comfortable. If your office culture is cooperative and human where people socialize quite a bit, its going to be lax. If its corporate and top-down where everyone is at arms length, then deterioration of dress code will be looked down upon.

Not going to rail on one way or the other, its a preference more than anything.

Bed head.. lol. you Know CoVid-19 is actually a hair style now.. and one ill rock for awhile as im not ready to go sit in a salon yet even though ours open again in a few days
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
When you work from home, do you have to wear official clothes?

I see flowbee are selling on eBay for $200.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flowbee-Hai...-/264723205742
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I used to work from a home office and had a dedicated office in one of the bedrooms. I would crawl out of bed, get coffee and sit down to make my morning phone calls. Then I would shower and put on "official" clothes.

Most of my work contacts were women. One day my wife asked me what the women that I talked to every morning would think if they knew that I was sitting in my office naked when I called them.....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
My work involves crafting humor-filled replies to questions on forums across TheWorldWideWeb.
With all the officialness I can muster, I can honestly truly say:
* I am laying in bed with a towel draped over my ears.
Blue with tan stripes, because I know you were wondering.
Occasionally, one of the dogs might chew my toes, and I know it is time to get up, put on some trousers, and go walkies.
Dogs.
They can be such tyrants.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Dang pups!! Mine are worse than any human boss. I have to put clothes on to take them outside several times a day....
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote