Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Where to build?

Where did you build your rig!? We want to build a bus, but I have no idea how to look for a place to do it.

Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Where did you build your rig!? We want to build a bus, but I have no idea how to look for a place to do it.
Check Craiglist for random people offering RV or vehicle storage, some will allow you to work on your bus and some won't. You can place your own ad, too. Check self-storage facility or U-Haul rental places in your area (I park and work on my bus at a U-Haul place, in fact). Some bus/transportation companies will at least allow you to rent bay space by the day (expensive but good for something like painting the bus) and they may provide outdoor parking/working areas (I've never heard anyone doing this but you can always ask).

I think the best scenario, however, is to be able to park your bus where you live. I spend a large proportion of my time traveling to and from my bus even though it's only 15 minutes away, and generally I only make one trip a day so that sort of limits the rate at which I'm getting things done. Occasionally I bring my bus to my house to work on it, and I get a lot more done because I can briefly take care of things around the house, personal life etc. and then go right back to work on the bus.

Where you are would affect more specific advice. You can click on "User CP" and edit your details so that people know where you are.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! I’m in Olathe, Kansas. I live on a little street in a duplex that we rent, so I can’t really do it at my house. I would much prefer that.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Thank you! I’m in Olathe, Kansas. I live on a little street in a duplex that we rent, so I can’t really do it at my house. I would much prefer that.
Honestly, you might find it easier to move (to a place where you can park your bus as well) than to find a parking spot and commute to the bus every day (or every day you end up feeling like going).
Old 08-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, that’s not something we could do anytime soon. But something to think about down the line.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Public storage parking is a great option. Find a privately owned lot somewhere around you, or even a corporate owned lot that doesn't pay much attention. I did most of the work on my bus in this way. You just have to keep to your self and not make a lot of noise or mess.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote