Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Where to buy stuff for your conversion

My observation (my 2 cents)

When I started my conversion, I bought some stuff off E-Bay. A couple things from Amazon. No problems with what I bought.

As I started looking at more expensive stuff, easy to find on E-bay and Amazon....BUT....
Shop around a little, The kitchen sink I just bought was someting like $79 on Ebay, I bought it from RecPro.com for $69

The two cooler/bench seats that I bought for my food storage/dinette seating were almost $200 cheaper from Sportsman Guide than they were on Ebay,
That's $200 each.

So, take a few minutes, save some bucks!

BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:14 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
where I have gone

craigslist three years ago... seemed to find more there. I did not know about facebook market place.

Now I know....

clearance lights, switches, rear view cameras I bought ebay...

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:38 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Ebay, craigslist, I don't use facebook marketplace because it is facebook, amazon/online, and I'll also try to find some specialty places in my region (within a 4-6 hour drive, maybe 2-4 these days.) There's a place in central texas that is a normal junkyard, but also has a separate/side business as a heavy-equipment junkyard... Many RV's there, quite a number of tractors (trailers), and there was a couple of ambulances as well--which are a great place to source some electrical equipment, as they are equipped with multiple/redundant alternators, inverters, circuit breakers, as well as nifty things like toolboxes and storage compartments, convertible trays/tables, and things like climate control tubing.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:38 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I've had good luck with Google, I found my fridge from a camping store for $300 less than Amazon. Its always worth a shot.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
I look at craigslist and offer up these builds are popular right now so a lot of people start, then give up on them. Also if you are coastal as I am, look at second hand marine shops. For instance here in Alameda we have blue heron marine. I bought a bunch of electrical stuff and stainless hardware there. I bought all of the stuff for my build second hand and unused for pennies on the dollar in many cases.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:34 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
I just found a pair of steer tires on Craigslist.

I also found a local place where I can buy live edged slab wood on Craigslist. I didn't know there were saw mills near me, after all this IS New Jersey.

Don't forget about Habitat for Humanity - Restore.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
If you are near northern Indiana there are a lot of surplus places in the Elkhart area. Two good ones in southern Michigan.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:44 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
sometimes it crazy how you find things?
for example?
my wife was working at a hospital in michigan and was talking to a co worker that she had gotten to know and her co worker told her about a man that did rough cut lumber that was only 10-minutes from our house and she only knew about it because a family from our area had reached out wherever and asked for help to keep grandpas sawmill going and her sister ended up here helping and doing the epoxy river tables on the side.
not advertised and i drove by it for 20 years but wife bought what he had and she tried to pay him more and he wouldnt take and said he hasnt raised his prices since the 60's
they were rough cut and i ended up taking them back for planing because he had the only one big enough i could find after helping him run the boards he only asked for a dollar a board which was 4$ i told him i only had 20's and said i will go get you change?
i handed him 40$ and said keep the change and thank you.
the boards were 2"x12-15 thick rough cut with live edge so i had to dowel and make the tops and my wife did the epoxy river stuff and i got some new clamps and found some dang good wood glue and a place i will always go back to for rough cut lumber.
i loved everything was so old school it was belt driven with no guards.
i cautioned my son and his friend that went to help move the slabs but they do construction so they already knew.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:29 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: *T444e
I'm in the DFW area. Where in central Texas is this salvage yard? I need to go shopping for things I didn't know that I needed.
747mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:11 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins mechanical injection
Boat store

I also recommend boat supply places, the stuff is much higher quality than things meant for rvs. And of course McMaster carr, but that can sometimes be more expensive, although it is always very high quality.
Jackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:06 AM   #11

I've had alot of good luck on Craigslist bought some tools from an older gentleman that was retiring and heading to Florida ended up getting some really good deals. Same happened with some electrical supplies.all it took was a "what else you got".
I buy things as I need them from amazon and ebay but when I get a sweet deal I'll jump on it. Do some research and take advantage of the opportunities when/if you can find a deal
Diryco is offline   Reply With Quote