Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Where to Park for Bus Storage

Hi Guys!! I am new the site!

I am looking for my skoolie and I believe I have found one thanks to the forums on here!

I have two questions really. And maybe they've been asked before... unsure. But I will tell you the situation.

I live in Virginia, but I am temporarily moving to Alabama to do the bus build at my mothers home. However.... the bus I found is in Indiana. This will require me to travel and get it... which is fine but I would be purchasing the bus from a dealership. They only can hold the bus for 15 days.... I need at least a month. This way I can register the bus and get insurance and so forth. I planned on registering the Vermont route so I am not sure how long that will take.

I will need a place to store the bus in the meantime so that I can make sure I have the proper insurance/registration etc. I have typed in Google "oversized vehicle parking"... "bus storage".... what exactly should I be typing in here? I am getting no real results.

Also... what do you guys search when looking for mechanics for your bus? In reality, this is all new to me. So I am a bit of a rookie. I know typing in mechanics near me won't be the best search

BusBae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:17 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
many general storage units like Uhaul, extra-space etc also have RV / truck spots where you can rent by the month to store it
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Wow! that's actually super helpful.

Any insight on mechanic finds?
Old 04-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
You will of course need proper registration, insurance, and drivers license to move the bus from dealer to storage.
That's if you're going to keep it legal.

The Vermont route is 6-8 weeks figure on the 8.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:03 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusBae View Post
Any insight on mechanic finds?
Indiana is RV heaven...it seems like every production RV in the US is made near Elkhart, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone to look at it in the general Indiana area. The big question is do you want to have the engine manufacturer look at it? Or Maybe something more "mom and pop"? There are advantages to both, but depending on what it is, you might be surprised that you can easily DIY.

For a search, I would try "heavy duty truck service", "medium duty truck service", "RV service", or some variation thereof plus the location of the bus.

Hope that helps!
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaj823 View Post
Indiana is RV heaven...it seems like every production RV in the US is made near Elkhart, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone to look at it in the general Indiana area. The big question is do you want to have the engine manufacturer look at it? Or Maybe something more "mom and pop"? There are advantages to both, but depending on what it is, you might be surprised that you can easily DIY.

For a search, I would try "heavy duty truck service", "medium duty truck service", "RV service", or some variation thereof plus the location of the bus.

Hope that helps!
That actually was extremely helpful! From my understanding, the dealership said there was no reported issues with it, but since it is used.... I don't want to be too presumptuous.

If I am able to DIY it, I would just need to know what things to look for.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:53 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
since it is used.... I don't want to be too presumptuous.
^^ Very smart thinking.

Quote:
If I am able to DIY it, I would just need to know what things to look for
There are a plethora of things that can be "gotchas" when converting a bus. This site it full of threads about random weirdness that occurs, especially regarding the electrical system.

Best to start by filling out your profile with your bus info...that can (and does) go a long way at getting answers quickly...folks can see generally what manufacturer, engine, etc. For example, I own an International with a DT466E...my knowledge may or may not be as applicable to a 2000 Bluebird with a Cummins 5.6.

Second, go get a copy of the factory service manual for whatever you have. If you have an International, I have most and would be happy to provide you with what I have. If you have something else, cruise over to the mechanical forum and check out the sub-group for you particular manufacturer - the odds are someone can do the same, or point you in the right direction.

Finally, the dealer may have done a once-over before selling, but things can and will go wrong as per Murphy...be prepared for the oddities upfront and don't get frustrated when things go wrong.

Google is your best friend, don't be afraid to ask questions, and most of all...

GOOD LUCK and ENJOY THE RIDE!
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:26 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
in my state and my insurance company all i need is the VIN number and make a phone call to have transport insurance and a trip to the DMV to get 10-day tags.
but i usually skip the tags and just roll it with a chase vehicle behind me with tools.
i have brought many vehicles home like that and without any of that and only got a warning when i played stupid.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:17 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Just got this thread through the email notification
Kerlin bus silver lake Indiana ?
They have some guys who will give you break down of the bus for the trip if not i can get you a couple of places here by the south bend or warsaw Indiana.

If you have the time there are some salvage places here to get salvage rv bits. Sturgis white pigion and elkhart. About a half hour to an hour north of silver lake.

Sorry to be late to the thread.
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mechanics, new guy, storage