Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Which air tank to tap into ?

I'm getting ready to tap into one of my three air tanks for a outside air supply (filling tires, running small air tools, etc). Which one is the ideal one. I believe one tank is known as a dirty tank and the other two are clean. Is this the case ?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Air Brakes
rail_hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Bus air supply..

Start your bus, allow air systems to fill completely, stop engine, and slide under. Make a picture of the tanks locations. The first tank connected to the compressor is usually named the wet tank because the hot air charge turns some condensation into water. There may also be some oil in the mix. Any other tank will be a good source for air. Each tank usually has a water drain tank that looks like a radiator drain cock. The air supply should be plumbed to a convenient location on the curb side. I add a tee fitting to the bottom of the selected tank, reinstalling the drain valve and connecting a 3/8 nylon or rubber hose to final desired location. At the tank tee, I usually add a 3/8 ball valve to stop air in case of any future problems. The valves are cheap and a necessary safety. At rhe side of the bus body, a female hose disconnect to securely mounted with a bracket and bolted to some frame or body part. The female quick disconnect should be mounted so that the valve will not create any obstruction o working on bus but be easily accessed. It is a good idea to have a portable air filter that can be connected into air supply fitting and the work hose connected to the filter. The inside of all air tanks are not shiney and clean. Any small rust or dirt particle will ruin any air tool. A air pressure regulator and water trap can also be connected to get best use from the air supply. Most bus compressors can make up to 25 cubic feet of air per minute. Air brakes use lots of air. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Frank, that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks for your time.
Air Brakes
rail_hauler is offline   Reply With Quote