Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2020, 02:33 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie
 
shelbyfricke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: From Michigan. But we travel full time!
Posts: 25
Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Thank you all for all of your help and advice! We are currently looking at a couple of different buses. One bus is a pusher with a Cummins 5.9 with an Allison 3060 transmission, and the other is a puller with a Cummins 5.9 with an Allison 2000 transmission. Will the pusher give us more power climbing hills because it's in the back and has the better transmission? The rear engine is over 2,000 miles away, and the front engine is much closer. But, we wonder if the rear engine will have a bit more power, or not, based on what some have shared on here. Thank you! We have yet to find a Cummins 8.3 rear engine in our price range and with our length and height needs.

shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie
 
shelbyfricke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: From Michigan. But we travel full time!
Posts: 25
Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Thank you all for all of your help and advice! We are currently looking at a couple of different buses. One bus is a pusher with a Cummins 5.9 with an Allison 3060 transmission, and the other is a puller with a Cummins 5.9 with an Allison 2000 transmission. Will the pusher give us more power climbing hills because it's in the back and has the better transmission? The rear engine is over 2,000 miles away, and the front engine is much closer. But, we wonder if the rear engine will have a bit more power, or not, based on what some have shared on here. Thank you! We have yet to find a Cummins 8.3 rear engine in our price range and with our length and height needs.
shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #23
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,351
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyfricke View Post
Thank you all for all of your help and advice! We are currently looking at a couple of different buses. One bus is a pusher with a Cummins 5.9 with an Allison 3060 transmission, and the other is a puller with a Cummins 5.9 with an Allison 2000 transmission. Will the pusher give us more power climbing hills because it's in the back and has the better transmission? The rear engine is over 2,000 miles away, and the front engine is much closer. But, we wonder if the rear engine will have a bit more power, or not, based on what some have shared on here. Thank you! We have yet to find a Cummins 8.3 rear engine in our price range and with our length and height needs.
I'd go for the RE.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #24
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 2,607
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
It depends on the power level of each engine. They typically are 215hp, but there are options. It also depends on the rear gearing. One with a higher ratio will accelerate faster then one with a lower ratio, but it will have a slower top speed.

I'm not really sure where you're at now, or how much money you currently have, but I'd take a good look over at this one here. https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/1...ale-30844.html

Do your due diligence and inspect it first. Members have been screwed by other members here, so I wouldn't take someone's word on it because of that. But this seems like a good platform.
__________________
My build: The Silver Bullet https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/p...llet-9266.html
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie
 
shelbyfricke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: From Michigan. But we travel full time!
Posts: 25
Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
It depends on the power level of each engine. They typically are 215hp, but there are options. It also depends on the rear gearing. One with a higher ratio will accelerate faster then one with a lower ratio, but it will have a slower top speed.

I'm not really sure where you're at now, or how much money you currently have, but I'd take a good look over at this one here. https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/1...ale-30844.html

Do your due diligence and inspect it first. Members have been screwed by other members here, so I wouldn't take someone's word on it because of that. But this seems like a good platform.

Thank you for your advice! And for sharing that other bus with us! Unfortunately, TC200's are too short for us. Yes, we definitely inspect buses before considering purchase! We have traveled quite a bit so far inspecting buses! =)
shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie
 
shelbyfricke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: From Michigan. But we travel full time!
Posts: 25
Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd go for the RE.
Thank you! Strictly because of the transmission?
shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #27
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,351
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyfricke View Post
Thank you! Strictly because of the transmission?
easier to work on RE, and I do all my own maintenance. Also quieter.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie
 
shelbyfricke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: From Michigan. But we travel full time!
Posts: 25
Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
easier to work on RE, and I do all my own maintenance. Also quieter.
Yes, that's very true! Those are two of the reasons we were drawn to a rear engine in the first place.
shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #29
Almost There
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 71
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 (3904 RE)
Engine: Cummins 8.3TA
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyfricke View Post
Thank you all for all of your help and advice! We are currently looking at a couple of different buses. One bus is a pusher with a Cummins 5.9 with an Allison 3060 transmission, and the other is a puller with a Cummins 5.9 with an Allison 2000 transmission. Will the pusher give us more power climbing hills because it's in the back and has the better transmission? The rear engine is over 2,000 miles away, and the front engine is much closer. But, we wonder if the rear engine will have a bit more power, or not, based on what some have shared on here. Thank you! We have yet to find a Cummins 8.3 rear engine in our price range and with our length and height needs.




I don't think you're going to find a bunch of engine power difference between a front- or rear-mounted engine of the same displacement. What will make the difference between engines of the same displacement is the transmission.


Honestly I prefer a pusher. Take this for what it is, but these are my reasons.

1) Pusher puts the massive heat and noise source of the engine 30+ feet behind you, rather than 6-12 inches from your right leg.
2) Pushers are easier to work on because there's more space in the rear engine bay than there is in the dog house.
3) The drive line on a front-engine bus is giant. Rear-engine buses are more likely to have pass-thru storage.
synestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #30
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: iowa
Posts: 593
Year: 1998
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: formerly 71 now 2 or 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
With your husbands height of 6'2"
I would rethink the avoidance of a roof-raise -- Doing a 6" raise shouldn't be too tough -- this would open up more buses to look at...
yes if you do not insulate the roof good you will bake like in your easy bake oven so a roof raise s really nice. also adds cabinet space for more storage inside
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie
 
shelbyfricke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: From Michigan. But we travel full time!
Posts: 25
Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by synestine View Post



I don't think you're going to find a bunch of engine power difference between a front- or rear-mounted engine of the same displacement. What will make the difference between engines of the same displacement is the transmission.


Honestly I prefer a pusher. Take this for what it is, but these are my reasons.

1) Pusher puts the massive heat and noise source of the engine 30+ feet behind you, rather than 6-12 inches from your right leg.
2) Pushers are easier to work on because there's more space in the rear engine bay than there is in the dog house.
3) The drive line on a front-engine bus is giant. Rear-engine buses are more likely to have pass-thru storage.
It's sounding like the Rear Engine with the better transmission could definitely be worth the trip!! These are all great reminders! I knew about all of these benefits, but sometimes my brain gets muddied as we look at so many buses every day and try to decide where to compromise. Lol. So, I needed the reminders! =D Thank you for your help! =)
shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie
 
shelbyfricke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: From Michigan. But we travel full time!
Posts: 25
Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
yes if you do not insulate the roof good you will bake like in your easy bake oven so a roof raise s really nice. also adds cabinet space for more storage inside
Very true! We converted and live full time in a camper van, so we live with the proof of that all the time! Haha. We insulated the sides decently, but not the ceiling, so we learned our lesson! It's always 10 degrees hotter in our van, or 20 degrees if we don't ventilate well and use the fans on a sunny day! It can get pretty miserable. We plan to insulate with spray foam for the bus!
shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #33
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 808
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Have you looked at this thread?
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/1...-new-post.html
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie
 
shelbyfricke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: From Michigan. But we travel full time!
Posts: 25
Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Thank you for sharing! Yes, someone else had already shared it with us. TC2000's are too short headroom-wise for us, unfortunately, and we're not interested in doing a roof raise. Otherwise, this would be great!
shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #35
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,351
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyfricke View Post
Thank you for sharing! Yes, someone else had already shared it with us. TC2000's are too short for us, unfortunately, and we're not interested in doing a roof raise. Otherwise, this would be great!
40 feet is too short? Did you actually look at the pics or read the listing?
Its got the maximum headroom for a Bluebird. at least 6'6" or more.
Quote:
Up for sale is a partially converted, 40ft long, 1996 Bluebird TC2000 school bus
If its been well cared for thats a DREAM bus for many folks.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #36
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 808
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Believe me, as soon as my stimulus check comes in I might be making a trip to purchase it myself!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie
 
shelbyfricke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: From Michigan. But we travel full time!
Posts: 25
Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
40 feet is too short? Did you actually look at the pics or read the listing?
Its got the maximum headroom for a Bluebird. at least 6'6" or more.


If its been well cared for thats a DREAM bus for many folks.
I meant headroom. Yes, we read the entire ad. And my husband found it on Craigslist and is calling him. We had never seen a TC2000 that was tall enough before, and he did not list the ceiling height. I saw your comment on the other thread and responded to it. It's good to know that 40 foot TC2000's have a taller ceiling! So, I asked the seller about the height. 40 feet is actually longer than we want for length in a bus. Yes, we see that it could be a dream bus. We are picky about headroom, because we are not going to do a roof raise. But, I asked the seller just in case this one happens to be 6'5", even though we would prefer a 36 foot bus.

Also, from our experience, the tallest Blue Bird bus is the All American and we have noticed that it usually only maxes out at 6'4". Very interesting that they made taller buses! I'm curious to hear what the seller says when he measures the ceiling.
shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #38
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,351
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyfricke View Post
I meant headroom. Yes, we read the entire ad. And my husband found it on Craigslist and is calling him. We had never seen a TC2000 that was tall enough before, and he did not list the ceiling height. I saw your comment on the other thread and responded to it. It's good to know that 40 foot TC2000's have a taller ceiling! So, I asked the seller about the height. 40 feet is actually longer than we want for length in a bus. Yes, we see that it could be a dream bus. We are picky about headroom, because we are not going to do a roof raise. But, I asked the seller just in case this one happens to be 6'5", even though we would prefer a 36 foot bus.

Also, from our experience, the tallest Blue Bird bus is the All American and we have noticed that it usually only maxes out at 6'4". Very interesting that they made taller buses! I'm curious to hear what the seller says when he measures the ceiling.
Why 36' specifically?
you really wouldn't notice another 4 feet after about 15 minutes behind the wheel. I'd imagine the ceiling is 6'6" to 6'8" depending on if it has plywood floors and other factors.
Its most definitely a high headroom model. The pics show the widow line.

I don't know this bus or the seller but if I were shopping for a full size bus I'd be honed in on this one.

All Americans came in standard or high headroom. The buyer specs out what they want and the buses get built to those specs. Don't go bus shopping assuming model "x" has certain features. You'll likely end up sorely disappointed going at it like that. Shopping for a bus is NOTHING like shopping for a car.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #39
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 808
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
If part of the reason you are gung ho on a 36-foot bus is because of the turning radius I would venture to say that a 40 foot front-engine flat nose bus is going to have a tighter turning radius than a 36-foot rear engine bus because the turning radius is a factor of the wheelbase and not the overall body length. You will get the most usable space out of a 40-footer but a little more maneuverability out of a front-engine flat nose bus.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie
 
shelbyfricke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: From Michigan. But we travel full time!
Posts: 25
Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
If part of the reason you are gung ho on a 36-foot bus is because of the turning radius I would venture to say that a 40 foot front-engine flat nose bus is going to have a tighter turning radius Dan a 36-foot rear engine bus because the turning radius is a factor of the wheelbase and not the overall body length. You will get the most usable space out of a 40-footer but a little more maneuverability out of a front-engine flat nose bus.
That is great to know! Thanks! It's just because we wanted the shortest bus possible for our living needs. And 36 feet fits our ideal floor plan perfectly, so we didn't want to go any bigger. Plus, a 36 foot bus fits perfectly in 2 standard parking spots without sticking out. We have been living in a camper van for a year and a half, so buses are huge to us! Haha. Just trying to go as least beastly as possible. But, thank you so much for sharing about the turn radius! Very helpful! =)
shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, bus shopping, cummins, pusher, rear engine

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.