Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
To get technical, Chevy is GMC by a different name. Both come from General Motors Corporation. 8.1L is a great power plant. Beware, it is not made anymore so it'll eventually get harder to find parts for. Shouldn't be for quite a few years, but it is coming.
The PSI 8.8L is made with almost the same parts, so you're good to go

coolcraftnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Keep in mind that the mini buses can be either single or dual wheels in the back. If you get dual wheels, you usually get about a foot of extra width. You also get more stability if you are adding water/waste tanks and an A/C or deck on the roof. The dual wheel minis frequently have the larger engines, too.
nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #23
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthspiritbus View Post
The GMC and The Chevy is made by General Motors. They are basically the same. I would choose a five window bus and Diesel engine. I get more power with my diesel. When adding weight like you will with a conversion you need it
To clarify....

Gasoline engines make better hp than torque.
Diesel engines make better torque than hp.

Torque is what does your pulling. Horsepower is how fast it pulls. Since diesels make better torque, they feel like they have more power due to better low-end torque.

But a lot of people don't truly understand diesels. Some pointers for any diesel buyer... (especially a first-timer)

Most can't be pushed over 1800-2200 rpm without damage.
Maintenance is completely different. Fluids, intervals, everything.
Learn to check your fuel filters for water and install a water separator with a water drain if not already equipped.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Gas/Diesel

What I have found to be important differences between gas and diesel are:
- Diesel gets better gas mileage
- Diesel engines generally last more miles
- Diesels require more expensive preventative maintenance
- Diesels take some initial learning
- Diesel repairs cost more

What I generally tell people is that if they intend to cross the country a lot or go 15,000+ miles per year, think about a diesel.

If your bus will sit unused for months, only go 5,000 miles per year, go gas.

Also, in my area, to get a mini bus repaired gets interesting. If the local car garages have a lift big enough, they will repair a gas mini bus. If it is diesel, they tell you to go to a truck repair shop. Locally, the difference is $95/hr for a car shop and $175/hr for a truck shop. Also, the truck shops won't cut corners. My car shop will weld an exhaust to buy you some time, fix things to the point of being safe without being perfect.
nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
To clarify....

Gasoline engines make better hp than torque.
Diesel engines make better torque than hp.

Torque is what does your pulling. Horsepower is how fast it pulls. Since diesels make better torque, they feel like they have more power due to better low-end torque.

One exception to the Torque versus HP discussion is the 8.1 (496 CI) Gas Chevrolet Engine in 2001. The 8.1 gas engine had MORE HP AND MORE Torque in the 2001 models than the then new 2001 GM Duramax Diesel engine that was also introduced in 2001 to the Chevy/GMC lineup.

The 8.1 is a Hoss!

Fuel mileage in my 2001 Quigley 4WD long wheel base 3500 Express van is 12 MPG just about all the time no matter where ya go or what I pull.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:24 PM   #26
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
One exception to the Torque versus HP discussion is the 8.1 (496 CI) Gas Chevrolet Engine in 2001. The 8.1 gas engine had MORE HP AND MORE Torque in the 2001 models than the then new 2001 GM Duramax Diesel engine that was also introduced in 2001 to the Chevy/GMC lineup.

The 8.1 is a Hoss!

Fuel mileage in my 2001 Quigley 4WD long wheel base 3500 Express van is 12 MPG just about all the time no matter where ya go or what I pull.

The rare exception to the rule. And a BFE (Big F***ing Engine) usually is.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcraftnet18 View Post
The PSI 8.8L is made with almost the same parts, so you're good to go
Beautiful!

No problems with torque there, coupled with the right trannie / diff, pass everything but a petrol station.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:47 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: GMC 3500 Cutaway
Engine: 4.8 V8
Rated Cap: 14 passengers
We have a 4window GMC cutaway Savana with a 4.8. I love it except maybe it’s a little underpowered. We have a sleeping area in back that converts to two facing couches, an enclosed toilet are with sink (tight), and a kitchen with sink 2 burner gas top, and dorm frig. We replaced the bus door with a regular door with latch and lock. This allowed for a more comfortable passenger seat. There are two of us and it is tight but comfortable. What I miss is the sitting area. I get up much earlier than my wife and I have nowhere to go other than the drivers or passenger seat. I have ordered a swivel for the drivers seat and we will see how that works. Our passenger seat won’t swivel. If you were to forego the toilet you could have your seating area.

I love the size, it is under 20 feet so you are not restricted in any camping areas or roads that I know of. We can easily take this to town to do errands and park it. My gas mileage is 10-12 with the best mileage putting along Back country roads.
Dclewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevyvsgmc, cutaway, engine, minibus, shortchassis