Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #1

Which to choose

Just throwing this out there to see what you guys think. We have a few busses to choose from. First, a 93 Bluebird 11 window. Southern body in great shape inside and out. It has the 7.3 idi with the AT545 behind, not sure on the gearing. This is the first choice.
Next, a 1992 wayne, 10 window. It was a northern bus in its previous life, and is starting to show rust at the wheel wells, steps, ect. Now, the reason this one is on the table is it has a DTA360, with the AT545 behind it.
This probably seems a no brainer. We are planning on making a move to W. Texas, so its going to a dry climate.
I guess my real question is would the extra work with the Wayne be worth it to get the DTA360.
Were making a tiny home, which once we move, will likely only be moved a few times a year at the most.
So, a DTA360 with some body issues or BlueBird with an engine that had trouble moving an F250 unloaded.
Thanks guys and gals.

Petenms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
are you speaking of the 7.3 in an f250 in general or did the bus try to pull an f250?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #3

Just the old mechanical injected 7.3 in general. Not sure if the bus ever tried to pull an F250, but it seems the old 7.3idi always had trouble moving the busses they were in. Thats why Im wondering if the DTA360 might be the better choice
Old 03-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The AT545 is the least desirable tranny out there. No lock up converter so over heating becomes an issue on long highway speeds. Might be okay if you don't plan on driving much. But I would consider something different to start with. If you've never gutted a bus, you won't know that the rust around the wheel wells with be nothing compared to the swiss cheese the floor is going to look like. DT360 is one of the smaller motors to choose from. Dt466, or Dt 530 are most desirable.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:36 PM   #5

I have read alot of debate on the 545. Seems some like it, some dont.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petenms View Post
I have read alot of debate on the 545. Seems some like it, some dont.
I think many who have them try and rationalize their poor decision. It has it's uses, over the highway is not one of them. I never heard anyone say they would really rather have an AT 545 over a ............
Old 03-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #7

Understood. My question wasnt really about the transmission though. That said, would the Wayne with its lower capacity and lower weight be the better choice, despite the body not being as good.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:54 AM   #8
Bus Geek

I would take the more powerful 444 over the 360. I like space, you run out of it quickly in a build, so the extra window is valuable.
The extra work on the Wayne will be a LOT of work, so unless it's a bunch cheaper than the newer one, it won't be as good as the one needing less work.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petenms View Post
Just throwing this out there to see what you guys think. We have a few busses to choose from. First, a 93 Bluebird 11 window. Southern body in great shape inside and out. It has the 7.3 idi with the AT545 behind, not sure on the gearing. This is the first choice.
Next, a 1992 wayne, 10 window. It was a northern bus in its previous life, and is starting to show rust at the wheel wells, steps, ect. Now, the reason this one is on the table is it has a DTA360, with the AT545 behind it.
This probably seems a no brainer. We are planning on making a move to W. Texas, so its going to a dry climate.
I guess my real question is would the extra work with the Wayne be worth it to get the DTA360.
Were making a tiny home, which once we move, will likely only be moved a few times a year at the most.
So, a DTA360 with some body issues or BlueBird with an engine that had trouble moving an F250 unloaded.
Thanks guys and gals.
Me personally, If I was getting either one of those dirt cheap, $1,000 bucks or less, I would walk away and find something a liitle bit stronger.

The AT545 has been talked about enough, great/economical tranny for stop and go city pick and delivery type of operation but on the highways, no way!

7.3 idi, great motor in a pickup truck that pulls no load and doesn't want to go highway speeds up the hills but in a bus, you can expect it to run like a dog, a tired dog.
A dta360 slower than a 7.3.

Rust on the wheel wells...oh god.....
Mine had a small rust hole in the back passenger side corner of a RE Amtran.
Pulled the panel off to do the repair and found a major rust bed in that corner. Had to cut it all out, remediate and put it all back together.

Small rust hole above the front passenger wheel well, pilled that panel and ended up cutting out one crossmember and almost the entire floor above the two front wheel along with repairing both wheel wells.

If your not afraid of cutting and welding then not so hard of a job just time consuming. And if it comes out ugly no one is gonna care but you!

If your gonna spend all the time and money for just a one way trip to Texas and not take it out on the road but once or twice a year... it will run like a slow dog on the way to texas and anywhere else you go to!

Also, texas is damn hot! you might do better finding a bus with factory A/c for those days you do decide to go out and drive it !

For me, the two buses you described, I would walk away again unless I was getting them dirt cheap, free...

If your patient, shop around and get lucky you can find a decent bus with a bigger motor and better trans for not alot of money!
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the simple answer is the wayne is a classic dont tear it all to pieces, althought the DTA360 is a much nicer engine than the IDI.. sorry. while i love the T444E, im not an IDI fan
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote