Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Who else here is unemployed ?

We were unemployed until we took our future in to our own hands...

We used to be in remodeling. We lost our livelihood in the spring of 2008. We limped by selling off our excess stuff and junking (selling stuff at the tailgate flea markets) and did pretty well for a while. We built a hotdog cart from scratch over that winter and got licensed in NC then started selling in March 2009. Did okay as we watched the area dry up $$ wise. We picked up a short temp gig selling trackside (to the drivers and their families & pit crews) at a racetrack in N. GA (dirt track). We also still sold dogs during the week on the street. Things kept getting worse and we finally got rid of oll our stuff (thinned down from 2 10X20 ft warehouses units to 10X10). I had been working front desk in a hotel thru the winter while David built the hot dog cart mostly from scrap from our Eagle 05 on a cut down utility trailer frame we had. We bought the skoolie to haul what was left of our stuff plus my (23 yo) daughter's stuff out to NM. I have another (23 yo) daughter out there and she kept wanting her sister to move out to stay with her. So we hauled everything, including the hot dog cart out to NM where we got licensed to sell there. Made decent $$ ($100 to 150 per day) and lived in a cheap campground. It got cold at the end of October, so we headed down to Corpus Christi for the winter (not a good street vendor area can't survive on the $ here). We are licensed, insured and remodeled to comply to Texas' very strict requirements. I just started working at another hotel (front desk). We will be here until the end of May. Then we head back to Socorro, NM where we are still permitted until the end of August. We plan on setting back up on the Plaza selling hot dogs, smoked brats and BBQ sandwiches. My daughter who lives in Socorro says folks are asking when we will be back. At the end of August, we are looking to head to New Braunfels, TX IF it looks like we can survive there and make decent $$. I will convert the skoolie in my daughter's back yard while David sells dogs on the Plaza. I just hope we can find an RV park to take us and our cart. I also need to make a commercial kitchen this summer as well. That means a bare bones conversion on the skoolie, then any other $$ are sunk into a mobile kitchen. It's not easy but it's working (sorta) for us.

http://photobucket.com/DavidsHotDogCart

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I'm not unemployed, but certainly under-employed. I'm getting by, but on much less than what I used to make. It seems here in the Norfolk/Va Beach area we are somewhat shielded from the recession, 3 HUGE Navy bases, plus several smaller ones, plus other services (including 3 Army bases, an AF Base & NASA Langley and a CG base) all in the area dump BILLIONS into the local economy, and that keeps it strong here. Things like the F150 plant closing down hasn't helped, but there are jobs available here... you might try looking at norfolk.craigslist.org in the jobs section to see if there is anything here for you. Lots and lots of Govt positions available too..

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender477
My degree is in automotive tech. but i also have skills as a yacht mechanic (10 years) and i.t experience as a Linux/unix system admin. (6years) so i really should not have any trouble finding work . But i cant seem to find anything , im about to move out west just to find a good job but my friends out there say its the same way .
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll graduate next spring with a B.S. in automotive engineering technology.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

It's short-term, but the Census Bureau is hiring.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

THANK GOD I GOT TO RETIRE BEFOR THE **** IT THE FAN,THANKS TO THE MILATARY THEY MADE ME SICK FROM ALL THE JUNK THEY PUT IN THE AIR BACK IN VIETNAM. BUT I DO FEEL SORRY FOR YOU GUYS NOW DAYS,,,AND IT ANT GOING TO GET ANY BETTER ANYTIME SOON,,AS LONG AS YOU GOT A JACKASS IN DC...
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

I've been out of work since March '09.

I worked for an Omaha-based temporary agency whose tagline is "Human Capital Management Solutions." Human capital, indeed! At least it's truth in advertising about how they treat their temps. I had the "stomach flu" at the end of January of last year. Between trips to the crapper I called in sick. The staffing manager chided me because I had had too many absences lately (I was moving out of my foreclosed-on house). I stated that a person with something like the stomach flu should be able to call in without fear of criticism. For that "inappropriate" remark, they refused to represent me anymore. I developed excellent rapport with client businesses and this one had approved my time off. At this staffing firm, a temp is a rental truck; a sick temp is a rental truck that won't start; a temp victimized by crime is a rental truck with its tires slashed. If the temp objects to that, he/she has an inappropriate attitude.

Another example is when I tried to join the Omaha Police Crime Lab. They discriminated against me because my credit problems put me in a high-risk category as a potential thief. (In other words, through profiling they preemptively accused me of stealing from crime victims.) Omaha is a bloody city. If they hadn't turned me down, I would have had the money to pay my mortgage, which means my minivan would have been in the garage instead of at curbside where it has had windows shot out three times. (Three crimes instead of none; congratulations, dumbasses.) I'm certain that this "can’t pay my bills because I can't get a job because I have bad credit" cycle has caused many casualties in the American socioeconomic train wreck.

In 2005, I was one of several people that a respected private university's Division of University Relations deemed unwanted, and whom they set up to appear incompetent until we either were fired or driven to quit. They took advantage of Nebraska's lax employee protection, helping them wiggle their way out of lawsuits or prosecution. I think it is a fine place to go to school (I earned a degree there). But the fundraising department of this church-based institution seems to have forgotten that a love of money is the root of all evils (1 Ti 6:10).

At this point I might as well forget about regular employers, though I'm filling applications to meet quota for unemployment insurance. If one of those leads to a job offer, I will take it.

I know what you mean by misery loves company. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by volund
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
THANK GOD I GOT TO RETIRE BEFOR THE **** IT THE FAN,THANKS TO THE MILATARY THEY MADE ME SICK FROM ALL THE JUNK THEY PUT IN THE AIR BACK IN VIETNAM. BUT I DO FEEL SORRY FOR YOU GUYS NOW DAYS,,,AND IT ANT GOING TO GET ANY BETTER ANYTIME SOON,,AS LONG AS YOU GOT A JACKASS IN DC...
WHY ARE WE YELLING????
Southeast Asian mud in the ears, it's tough to get rid of
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Carpenter Cadet CV
Chassis: G 30
Engine: 350
Rated Cap: 23

Construction in Western North Carolina has been flat, I started this year unemployed, like last year,and the year before, but with minimal bills, a month long job will support me for many months with limited spending (basically essentials). The Democrats' jobs bill will have us all buying Prevosts soon.
spirit_of_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Military experience and college...still haven't found work. I have a buddy who has two degrees and works in Wal-Mart Tire and Lube.
crazyidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22

many are out of work and losing assets. But you'd never know it by all the engineers and other white collar workers imported here from around the world , would you ? Seems they are te only ones opening new business's too . Whens the last time you saw a store or hotel owned by an America ? I have nothing against immigrants but we are in bad shape and need to stop the imports of products and people .
our universities look like the United Nations sent their kids here for education ! I hardly see any male students from the USA , a few females but no males much .
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote