Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Selling fresh produce by the side of the road is far from panhandling

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes it is.
Heck even selling old store-bought produce is far from panhandling.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
I guess nice thing about nomadic life, just move to friendlier jurisdictions.

What would anyone want antlers for?
-

knife handles, export to China - resale in their hobby shop are 3 ideas that come to mind
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
We have such obvious and annoying panhandlers I'd almost support any efforts to abate them. Most aren't homeless at all.
It was like that here too. There was an intersection on Hwy 101 as it went through Coos Bay, where about maybe 20 or so regulars would do a good job of interfering with traffic, at a poorly designed intersection where traffic was already messed up by lack of a left turn signal.
Then a new state law, and some signs along the highway telling people they can be ticketed if they stop, put a stop to that. It can still be difficult to make a left turn, but not as difficult as it was.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct

Yes it is.
Heck even selling old store-bought produce is far from panhandling.

Yes, it is true that the only real similarity between these 2 activities is their potential to negatively impact upon public safety, pun intended.

Personally, I've never had a problem with vendors along a highway due to their having a less aggressive style than panhandlers.

But as I read those signs, and on the web, it appears that paying someone for produce along a state highway right-of-way in Oregon is now illegal, just the transfering of funds part, as I read the extract. I guess I should go to the library and find the full text of that section. That should be interesting.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #66
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
There are plenty of roadside farm stands here, but they are usually in a parking lot, farmers field, fire house (to raise money for the fire house)etc, not on the highway right of way.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Yeah, it's the same around here. If people start vending anywhere close to the highway, even if there's room to do it safely, signs will appear banning vending at this spot. This happened at several different places around here close just a few years ago.

They think they have to regulate everything. Libertarians are a dying breed, it seems to me.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #68
Almost There

Year: Ď09
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: 6.7
Rated Cap: 35í
The original question should have been: "Who's spending a lot of money on their bus?"
Ranchorossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magzilla View Post
So if you ever see a caravan (Bus-a-van) of Shorties going down the road... It could be us!

I believe that the phrase you are looking for is "Shortie convoy"
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Until they're implemented later on.

Might get grandfathered in, except maybe the septic, often it's the state requires that

In some areas/counties the code enforcement is "complaint driven" (means they don't mess with you unless they have a complaint) in rural areas with few people. These areas usually still have requirement for a septic tank before you can park an RV, even if RV's are allowed as residences. This gives the county an excuse to kick out squatters. People often don't know who owns the vacant land next to them and the county can't contact the person listed on the tax roll, so squatters just move in and make a mess. Few squatters are going to pony up the $3-5K to install a permitted septic system on land that they don't even own....No septic system permit on file? County can tell them to vacate, even if they don;t have a complaint.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #71
Bus Geek

All good.

My point is, these things change. So don't buy land somewhere based solely on the lack of regulations nor slack enforcement.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I have a garage in the back of my bus for motorcycles, I always thought that if so inclined someone could haul freight, motorcycles, precious family heirlooms etc by going through USHIP. Most of the hauls aren't time sensitive from what I have seen or done through USHIP. Heck you could even haul stuff with the owner going along for the ride. I had a motorcycle hauled to MO from WI and the guy used a 15 pass van with room for 3 bikes in it, that's all he hauled, bikes.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:48 AM   #73
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I visited a skoolie with a blacksmith shop in the rear. He said making knives at various gatherings kept him busy for a few years. My question is what can one keep up doing. What is sustainable.
I remember seeing roadside BBQ trailers in the past. Are those still happening in the South? Also roadside smoked salmon here in the PNW. But have not noticed them recently. Times a changing. People used to get salmon from Alaska here and smoke it.
For years there was a interesting Motorhome parked on vacant lots covered in bumper stickers. I donít know if they made them but they sold them.
It seems the roadside scene has become much more boring recently.
I wondered about a Hippie Museum. A fantasy experience. If they wanted to pay more they could even dress up in flowery clothing. Or rent it out.
Or a off grid solar rental. People who want to see what itís like to live in a off grid for a weekend. They could pay more for training.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #74
Bus Crazy

As a boat builder I go to peoples boats for repairs, and live out of our skoolie while there. I can see most any trade being able to be mobile, might need to pull a trailer with tools in it. I have thought of a small machine shop in a trailer to pull with the skoolie. That would be a bit heavy,but a good excuse for a bigger engine in the bus.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #75

Hey, me and my girlfriend are trying to sell our bus. We gutted it and intended it for our own personal conversion. After spending more time inside of it turned out I wasn't comfortable with the ceiling height only being about an inch from my head. If you are interested let me know.

Here is the craigslist link:
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto...014719259.html
Herb1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #76
Bus Nut

Quote:
I guess nice thing about nomadic life, just move to friendlier jurisdictions.

What would anyone want antlers for?
Dear antler sconces in your skoolie
Attached Thumbnails
E2D0D270-F274-4973-81B3-CF938749B3F6.jpg  
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #77
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
As a boat builder I go to peoples boats for repairs, and live out of our skoolie while there. I can see most any trade being able to be mobile, might need to pull a trailer with tools in it. I have thought of a small machine shop in a trailer to pull with the skoolie. That would be a bit heavy,but a good excuse for a bigger engine in the bus.
Already working on the mobile machine shop.

Otherwise hauling trailers out of Elkhart Indiana is my move. 40 foot open trailer. No dead heading always can find a back haul.
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
All good.

My point is, these things change. So don't buy land somewhere based solely on the lack of regulations nor slack enforcement.
I look at it a little differently.

The local zoning regs, CC&R's, HOA and the level of enforcement have been a factor in every property purchase I have made in the last 30 years.

My last "home" was a nice little spot in the woods. I bought a lot in a community where people have been living full time in RVs since the early '60s. The county ignores it. That may change someday but it's been that way for 55 years and nobody seems concerned about the lack of enforcement.

I miss it Living in town sucks... I need to get my bus done so I can run away.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #79
Bus Nut

@Seriousracer, I am curious about what you haul out of Elkhart. I've never been there, but Elkhart is an important place for a lover of classic saxophones like me. I have a Buescher alto sax that was made in Elkhart in late 1940 or early 1941. And I have recently fallen in live with a pre-war King tenor that was also made in Elkhart.

At one time there were at least 5 or 6 different American companies making high-quality, professional saxophones in Elkhart, but they were killed off during the 1960s through hostile takeovers and other aggressive business practices by foreign companies such as Selmer.

I've heard that motorhomes are the main industry in Elkhart now. That doesn't sound like a very good trade to me.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #80
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
Dear antler sconces in your skoolie

Something a bit creepy about deer antlers in a skoolie....