Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2024, 07:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Who is this?

This reddit post included a photo that left me in stitches and now I am wondering, who on this forum is this?

jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
huh? photo that left you in stitches? the reddit post appears to be a dangerous bus that probably shouldnt be on the road..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:32 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
How in the hell did he get it insured?
Old 05-24-2024, 10:40 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
I bet a buck he has no insurance.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
friend of mine saw it in Person in WV, said its even worse than it looks in the pics..

im sorry but builds like that give everyone a bad name... and undermines those here on this and other forums that are doing truly phenomenol and safe builds..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 02:00 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
And this is why we can't have nice things lol.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 04:49 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT-466e, AT-545
This is why I have to call RV parks to ask them if they allow converted school buses.
Beeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb2 View Post
This is why I have to call RV parks to ask them if they allow converted school buses.
What do most of them say and do you know of a listing that allows them. It would be nice to know in advance if a particular park does not allow them before I or someone else shows up at the gate expecting to be allowed in. What about the LTVA's?
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 10:03 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT-466e, AT-545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
What do most of them say and do you know of a listing that allows them. It would be nice to know in advance if a particular park does not allow them before I or someone else shows up at the gate expecting to be allowed in. What about the LTVA's?
It really depends. You just have to call ahead and find one. When we're headed to a new area, we pull up all the local RV parks on Campendium or RV Parky or Google Maps and make a list and call them one by one, asking if they allow school bus conversions, and asking for a quote. Then we pick one. Usually we can find one, but not always. The more remote the location, the more likely they'll allow it.

I haven't done LTVA's, but I know the one in Quartzsite always has lots of bus conversions parked there. I think the one near Yuma does as well. I'd guess LTVA's are probably bus-friendly most of the time because (I think) they're government run. Government-run parking is usually more accepting.
Beeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb2 View Post
It really depends. You just have to call ahead and find one. When we're headed to a new area, we pull up all the local RV parks on Campendium or RV Parky or Google Maps and make a list and call them one by one, asking if they allow school bus conversions, and asking for a quote. Then we pick one. Usually we can find one, but not always. The more remote the location, the more likely they'll allow it.

I haven't done LTVA's, but I know the one in Quartzsite always has lots of bus conversions parked there. I think the one near Yuma does as well. I'd guess LTVA's are probably bus-friendly most of the time because (I think) they're government run. Government-run parking is usually more accepting.
Thanks for the info, I have decided to give it a try. I am out of town from where the bus is sitting so it will probably be a while before I get started on it. Thankfully it has most of what is necessary to live in, but since it has been sitting for many years it is going to require an awful lot of work to get back on the road. First thing will be to get it running, then a set of tires. It has the old style GM wheels with the 10 hole 8.75 inch bolt circle and the 6.25 center hole and 20 inch tires. I have been thinking about changing the wheels to 22.5 but that is very expensive. About $3000 for six wheels then the lowest price tires would be another $2000 or so. I have also been looking at putting a 5.9 Cummins in it with an Allison automatic. I am 78 years young or at least I feel young most of the time. Wish me luck, guys.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote