Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Who uses a dash cam?

Our local news did a story on why so many Russian drivers use dash cams. I was amazed at how much info they showed. granted it was edited but I can see how they would be more useful. I was actully thinking about getting one myself.

Just a few thoughts...I think it would be kind of cool to have a multi camera unit that records to a dvr? That way you can have a security system....rearview camera... and blind spot camera for changing lanes?

Ill be watching this thread to see what others say.

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
Our local news did a story on why so many Russian drivers use dash cams. I was amazed at how much info they showed. granted it was edited but I can see how they would be more useful. I was actully thinking about getting one myself.

Just a few thoughts...I think it would be kind of cool to have a multi camera unit that records to a dvr? That way you can have a security system....rearview camera... and blind spot camera for changing lanes?

Ill be watching this thread to see what others say.
I like that idea, not sure if the cameras would be able to get a good image with the vibration. Maybe just use a better mount then a house cam.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I agree on the vibration but I would rather have a shakey image than guessing if someone is in my blind spot? I think it would be a very good idea if someone makes it?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We need to get a rear camera. To keep an eye on what we are towing. When the Jeep blew the front passenger tire, not only could David not see it, but he couldn't feel it either. After we got him pulled off the road,and I calmed down somewhat, David said we needed to have a rear camera. I've got one but haven't gotten it hooked up. It's a wireless one and I picked it up from Wal-Mart in Perry GA in 2007. It was marked down a lot. For 75% off, we picked it up and just held onto it.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
I agree on the vibration but I would rather have a shakey image than guessing if someone is in my blind spot? I think it would be a very good idea if someone makes it?
if you have an invertor on the bus you can use a home system, just plug it in. They sell 4 HD cam systems and the video is incredible. 720P. night vision, auto on with a 10 second buffer (records the 10 BEFORE the activity) The home cameras are larger though but they might be able to be mounted inside or into the sheet metal. You could use one as a back up cam and 1 or 2 as side view back up cams.
Now all I need is some money for a bus!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlindquist
Here is an example.
Rich
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Not saying that unit is not worth it but I was a little shocked at the dollar amount. I also will not put sometime in that dollar range. As 100 said you can get in to a home DVR unit for a couple hundred that could do the same thing. Since we are going to be using our bus as a party/tailgate bus I am liking the idea more of the home DVR. I am sure someone will do something foolish and will need to be documented.

Good comments as additions here.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

I dont have the potato cam like most people. I tried to use one of them and it was junk. can't find a good one that wont break the bank. So I use a Mr Stickee suction cup buddy and put my video camera down on that when I drive.

example

Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
I dont have the potato cam like most people. I tried to use one of them and it was junk. can't find a good one that wont break the bank. So I use a Mr Stickee suction cup buddy and put my video camera down on that when I drive.

example

wow! You guys drive pretty fast up there!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MPG
For 10:31 elapsed time, I calculate 1098 kph/682 mph average speed. And people were passing him!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MPG
For 10:31 elapsed time, I calculate 1098 kph/682 mph average speed. And people were passing him!
wonder what his MPG was!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

A camera that records every time you drive somewhere is an important and neat feature to have, especially for someone that drives for a living like a truck driver. A simple solution would be to velcro or suction cup a video camera to your dash, or a more elegant solution would be something like this:

http://store.mp3car.com/Ivtek_SSD_High_ ... om-162.htm

That would make you pretty much bullet proof. Of course, this object doesn't exist if you're the one in the wrong...
stonestatue is offline   Reply With Quote