Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmanmitch View Post
Its different if your a techie or really into whatever it is you put your money on. I know people that buy 550$ Jordans and they are happy. Others drop 1200$ at the strip club and they see nothing wrong with it...and there isn't.

But when you are someone who is struggling and you realize you wouldn't be if you focused on what you wanted/needed instead of what you've been "conditioned" to want/need...Ahaa...Ahaaaaa! (in my Eddie Murphy voice).

BTW my 7-11 run$ are way too much I need to cut it
its actually just an answer to 'WHY' some people keep new cars.. plenty of peoiple dont and dont have to... money is of course relative... $100 to one person means something else to another...

for me material things bring me happiness.. I know, every religon in the world says its not supposed to be that way... oh wait im not religious either... ha..

every single one of us has something that works for them that may not for others..

I say do what works regardless of ehat the jones' do.. personally i dont go lease new cars because i care what the neighbors think.. I do it because it makes me smile...

same as why i have a school bus.. my conversion isnt like most anyone's on here... but that Bus makes me smile when im behind the wheel heading down the road.. or tasking my friends to dinner... and its helped me solve serious software issues when its parked on a busy city street or in a state park away from everyone...

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
its actually just an answer to 'WHY' some people keep new cars.. plenty of peoiple dont and dont have to... money is of course relative... $100 to one person means something else to another...

for me material things bring me happiness.. I know, every religon in the world says its not supposed to be that way... oh wait im not religious either... ha..

every single one of us has something that works for them that may not for others..

I say do what works regardless of ehat the jones' do.. personally i dont go lease new cars because i care what the neighbors think.. I do it because it makes me smile...

same as why i have a school bus.. my conversion isnt like most anyone's on here... but that Bus makes me smile when im behind the wheel heading down the road.. or tasking my friends to dinner... and its helped me solve serious software issues when its parked on a busy city street or in a state park away from everyone...

-Christopher
In some ways...
September 1st can't get here fast enough...
In some ways...
September 1st. is coming pretty danged quick!
In all ways....
I'll be happy wherever I am!

Life's too short to be miserable
Old 08-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #23
Bus Geek

I agree life is too short to be miserable!!!! thats why i live it the way i do... im having a heck of a lot of fun!!
-Christopher
Old 08-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
LOL, I have to laugh, My wife is 50 yrs old & in that time she has only owned 3 cars, she bought he first car when she graduated high school, brand new put 300000 miles on it before she bought her second car new, a 96 Honda Civic where at 295000 miles she was starting to have problems with it so it took some doing but I finally convinced her she was do a new car so we bought her a new 2010 Honda. me I'll never buy a new vehical for myself ever again.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
There's some sort of humor in my buddies giving me **** about how much money I pour into my bus while they pay $300 a month for their 5 year car payment plan. To each their own I guess. My $1500 88 toyota truck has been absolutely painless for the 5 years I've owned her, one of these days when I don't know what to do on the bus I will put the TLC into her she deserves.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
I was issued a 2011 CVPI brand new 91 miles on it when I jumped in. 2011 was the last production year and the department auctions off our old cruisers. I was horrified that I would lose my Vic and to my shock the Chief offered it to me for half of the KBB list price as nearly a gift.

I have had numerous Crown Vics, best vehicles on the road. I have over half a million miles behind the wheel and I am going to run this 11 into the dirt over the next twenty years. I will trade trannys, replace engines, stockpile tires if I have too. This is my baby and I treat it well and it treats me well.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Best vehicle I ever owned was a 1966 Dodge Town Wagon (window panel truck) with a little slant six. Had been a Highway Dept. crew rig and had 99,000 on it when bought. Drove it all over America hauling my race bikes for 17+ years. Sold it with about 387,000 miles on it and still running like a top. No leaks, no smoke, nothing but regular wear items like points & belts along the way. Really wish I had kept it. Would make a kick-ass rig with a little Cummins diesel and Allison.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I do care what people think, but not as much as i care what i think.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
I was issued a 2011 CVPI brand new 91 miles on it when I jumped in. 2011 was the last production year and the department auctions off our old cruisers. I was horrified that I would lose my Vic and to my shock the Chief offered it to me for half of the KBB list price as nearly a gift.

I have had numerous Crown Vics, best vehicles on the road. I have over half a million miles behind the wheel and I am going to run this 11 into the dirt over the next twenty years. I will trade trannys, replace engines, stockpile tires if I have too. This is my baby and I treat it well and it treats me well.

I had to google CVPI, and now that I did... I'm familiar with them, just never heard them referred to that way.

Of course I had to watch a YouTube video too.
This one didn't end quite the way I expected!
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 08-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

The burnouts are kinda pointless... But the car sounds great, especially with headphones!

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 08-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #31
Bus Geek

I had a CVPI ordered brand new.. a local dealer here in town would order them for civilians.. had it optioned like a CVLX with the niceties in it... darn it if I didnt get my order kicked back by 1 day!!!! I wanted one fresh and new that hasdnt been abused by a municipality... almost had it... wasnt a $ short but was a day late ...
-Christopher
Old 08-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I hate new stuff.
My 2013 subaru I ordered new from Japan in 2013 has burned lots of oil since new. My bus uses less oil than my "eco-green-friendly" car.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #33
Bus Geek

all subis use oil... as long as you keep it full it will run forever
Old 08-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
all subis use oil... as long as you keep it full it will run forever
There are lots of folks out there with major problems thanks to subaru's FB and FA engines. The EJ was actually a BETTER engine even though they went through head gaskets like most of us use oil filters.
The NEW ones are built cheaper and crappier than ever. Buy one and see.
No new car should burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles.
Subaru have spent their money on PR instead of making it right.
I've owned a lot of cars and other than the actual awd aspect, subaru are complete garbage.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
There are lots of folks out there with major problems thanks to subaru's FB and FA engines. The EJ was actually a BETTER engine even though they went through head gaskets like most of us use oil filters.
The NEW ones are built cheaper and crappier than ever. Buy one and see.
No new car should burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles.
Subaru have spent their money on PR instead of making it right.
I've owned a lot of cars and other than the actual awd aspect, subaru are complete garbage.

I know quite a few people that have subis with over 250k miles on them and have used oil since day 2...

the Jeeo wrangler 3.8 is another one... everyone freaked in 2007 / 2008 when these engines used oil... yet as long as people didnt run them out there are many people with 3.8's in wranglers rockin the 200k club now pouring a quart in every 1000 miles...

seems a lot of diesels use oil too... I see a lot of truckers out on the road adding oil to their trucks that keep on running... Rotella is sold in gallons not quarts....

I suppose I should be worried that I put 2 quarts in my Bus in the 3800 miles Ive driven it since i got it?

-Christopher
Old 08-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #36
Bus Geek

We aren't talking the GOOD subaru's made ten years ago.
The new ones are crap-ola.
Diesels all use oil. that's normal.
Half the new subaru's sold have ring problems that subaru knows about. Its a crappy design and crappy execution. No new car should burn oil like its a 1975 chevy vega.

All that burnt oil clogs up sensors and catalytic converters and to make it to that 100k-200k "club" costs thousands in replacements and repairs.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #37
Bus Geek

interesting I didnt know they had changed their design... yeah the subis i know about running 250k plus are early to late 90s legacy, outback, and a WRX or two... I was thinkin g they had the same boxer engine they always had just with computer controls and more advanced turbos (for the WRX / STI)...

but yes you sre right burned oil definitely jacks up the sensors and emission systems of today...

None of my New cars use any oil... not even my smart car which I drive Like I stole it every single day.. it has 22k Hard driven miles... road trips through the mountains, city traffic and everything in between...

my Chevy truck keeps losing its Freon... and the dealer cant find the leak... its a 15 so i just keep sending it back every couple months.. I surmise the leak is in the dashboard and they dont want to tear the whole truck apart to get to it...

-Christopher
Old 08-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #38
Bus Geek

My GMC couldn't keep freon in it, either. Spent LOTS of time and money on trying to figure that one out.
Subaru changed their classic engine design in 2011/2012 and the new F engines are real nightmares. Both to own and to repair.
I'd trade my 2013 XV Crosstrek with 46k miles on it for a 1999 Impreza Outback with the same miles any day.