Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Why do so many people keep NEW vehicles?

Is it because of warranty?
Is it peer pressure?
Status symbol?

Is it because they want a car payment for the rest of their lives?

I don't get it... I get a used vehicle (typically suburban) and keep it for years!
I look the vehicle over, and let it sell itself... If it's been treated rough, I pass it by.
I've seen so many people abuse their possessions in a very short amount of time... It's like they're disposable to them.

This is my 05 2wd suburban... 212,000 miles... Every option available, leather, sunroof, rear entertainment, 4 captain's chairs, heated seats,mirrors, extendable foot pedals.... Everything a Danali has, without the Danali badge.

Bought it in 2012 with 146,000 miles, it came from Texas, and it did not look mistreated.... Looked like the "little old lady" kept it in the garage.
Lot of people think suburban, and they think gas hog... I get 18mpg, can haul 7 people and a console television and the dual a/c blows 42°.

Look how many Chevrolet pickups are out there!

My only downside is I have to use a utility trailer if I want to haul something....
But, try to load and unload a side by side refrigerator, or a washer/dryer in the back of a pickup... By yourself!

No, it's not the sexiest suburban out there.... But it was $75,000 cheaper too!

I just don't get it! And I realize new vehicle sales stimulate the economy... So where's my stimulation??? I sure ain't feelin' it!

Old 08-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Total agreement here. My Jeep Cherokee just turned 21. Looks like crap, works like a mule.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

I've had 6 suburbans in the last 35 years...
Still got my 93 K2500 and this 05 C1500

If I want to travel, I load it up!
If I want to sleep, I crawl in the back!
If I want to take kids kayaking... I build a rack!

I'm tellin' ya... Someone's getting stimulated, and it ain't me!

Old 08-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 65?
I had a 2003 crown vic...in 2011. Got it at 335K (taxi) transmission died at 408k (probably my fault). That was the newest vehicle I ever owned.
2001 s4 present 243k miles
94 explorer present 223k miles
2004 R1 present 8k miles
92 caviler rip. trans.
98 a4 rip. cracked trans pan on road trip
79 olds 88 rip. motor
90 Bonneville sold
83 Celica rip. red light runner
85 doge caravan donated
91 FZR 600 sold
2000 R1 sold
2005 GSXR 600 sold

Nothing like not owing somebody. I use what would be a car payment for maintenance. "its cheaper to keep her".
Stuntmanmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Was in town earlier... And some kids were raising money for a Missions Trip, so I dropped by, had them hand wash the burb and donated $20.

Great wash, and good cause.
If I had a big assed car payment... I'd have had to wash it at the car wash, or looked at it dirty

How I treat my vehicles.... This bus will last my lifetime and the kids will get it.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmanmitch View Post
I had a 2003 crown vic...in 2011. Got it at 335K (taxi) transmission died at 408k (probably my fault). That was the newest vehicle I ever owned.
2001 s4 present 243k miles
94 explorer present 223k miles
2004 R1 present 8k miles
92 caviler rip. trans.
98 a4 rip. cracked trans pan on road trip
79 olds 88 rip. motor
90 Bonneville sold
83 Celica rip. red light runner
85 doge caravan donated
91 FZR 600 sold
2000 R1 sold
2005 GSXR 600 sold

Nothing like not owing somebody. I use what would be a car payment for maintenance. "its cheaper to keep her".

Hell yeah, that's what I'm talking about!
Old 08-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

I think this is also what's generating the Tiny House movement also....
Friend's, family, corporations have conditioned people to believe they need to live in a sticks and stones house, pay high mortgage rates, high insurance, pay the repairman to come out and fix something...buy these shoes, these clothes, wear this jewelry. Let's get a gazillion shipping containers from China! Revolve, revolve, revolve that money!

People are waking up and saying 'hey, why am I broke?' Why are other people profiting from my hard labor?
Oh yeah, because that's how our ancestors did it.

And guess what?!?!
When you think outside the box.... You're met with opposition!
Because their ancestors conditioned them!
Old 08-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Except for my "company" car, all the vehicles I have are 20+yo. My '95 Sonoma has almost 230k miles on it. Still has the original clutch. Unfortunately, as a Northeastern vehicle, the frame is rotting out. It's not long for this world now.

I have a '76 R75/6 and an '83 R80G/S, both restored. I love 70's era bikes. I sold my '66 Ford in the Spring. It was my first car.

I enjoy working on my vehicles myself, except for my daily driver. For 10+ years, I commuted 30k miles/year. I just want to turn the key on my daily driver and it start reliably. The company pays for the maintenance on that and pros do it.

I had an employee who purchases 3-5-year lease turnovers with cash. He puts new rubber on them and drives them until the rubber is almost shot (40-50k mi - about 3 years). Then he trades them in and starts the process all over again. He's never had to do a major repair on a vehicle.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Except for my "company" car, all the vehicles I have are 20+yo. My '95 Sonoma has almost 230k miles on it. Still has the original clutch. Unfortunately, as a Northeastern vehicle, the frame is rotting out. It's not long for this world now.

I have a '76 R75/6 and an '83 R80G/S, both restored. I love 70's era bikes. I sold my '66 Ford in the Spring. It was my first car.

I enjoy working on my vehicles myself, except for my daily driver. For 10+ years, I commuted 30k miles/year. I just want to turn the key on my daily driver and it start reliably. The company pays for the maintenance on that and pros do it.

I had an employee who purchases 3-5-year lease turnovers with cash. He puts new rubber on them and drives them until the rubber is almost shot (40-50k mi - about 3 years). Then he trades them in and starts the process all over again. He's never had to do a major repair on a vehicle.

Different stokes for different folks, I guess.
That's not a bad plan! The thing is that someone does it in a way that works for them....

Actually, I believe the same thing happened last year that set me off...
I'd have to look it up here... But, last year my son's buddy shows up with a new Ford Raptor.... Now, he's been given a SRT lime green challenger! And kept the raptor.

It's not jealousy that pisses me off, it's frivolous waste of money that pisses off.

I've seen these people buy new Cadillac Danali's and keep them until it's time for tires.

Keeping that constant car payment in perpetual motion.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Found it
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/am-i-crazy-11160.html
Old 08-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Agreed. The media and advertising agencies have conditioned us to buy THINGS. "He who dies with the most toys wins." Our domestic economy relies on consumer spending. It's a vicious cycle. I have been selling off my "things" since last Spring. I'm exhausted and sick and tired of the rat race. I'm converting a skoolie and plan on touring North America, maybe Central America; maybe for the rest of my life. I'll let the Joneses keep up with themselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
I think this is also what's generating the Tiny House movement also....
Friend's, family, corporations have conditioned people to believe they need to live in a sticks and stones house, pay high mortgage rates, high insurance, pay the repairman to come out and fix something...buy these shoes, these clothes, wear this jewelry. Let's get a gazillion shipping containers from China! Revolve, revolve, revolve that money!

People are waking up and saying 'hey, why am I broke?' Why are other people profiting from my hard labor?
Oh yeah, because that's how our ancestors did it.

And guess what?!?!
When you think outside the box.... You're met with opposition!
Because their ancestors conditioned them!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
Skoolie

Sounds about right. You must be brainwashed to believe its ok/normal to buy a $600 electronic device (every year) or a car that cost as much to purchase as it does to maintain.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
I've only had one new car- a 98 Chevy Tahoe LS that I had to special order. Everything else has been used, and at least 10 years old (And usually Swedish).
'81 Volvo 242- sold for a computer while at NASKEF, Iceland in '93
'76 Volvo 242- totaled in Grand Forks, 94
'84 Volvo Turbo (242)- Totaled in '95
'85 Volvo 740- Sold '98
'98 Chevy Tahoe LS- totaled by the ex in '04 (while prepping to ship out to Iraq)
'95 Volvo 740 Turbo- stolen in Chattanooga while there for the police test in '07
'94 Volvo 240- sold back to BIL (subsequent blown engine) '07
'03 Pontiac Grand Prix GT- died this year
'97 Volvo 850T5 sports wagon, with 211k miles on the clock and rescued it from the crusher

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Have a dumb phone, a 1990 geo Tracker, 2001 neon, 2000 BB, '04 Scooter. Paid for house with 728 sf. No debt, good life.

Bought one new car in 1964, that's it for new cars.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
I've only had one new car- a 98 Chevy Tahoe LS that I had to special order. Everything else has been used, and at least 10 years old (And usually Swedish).
'81 Volvo 242- sold for a computer while at NASKEF, Iceland in '93
'76 Volvo 242- totaled in Grand Forks, 94
'84 Volvo Turbo (242)- Totaled in '95
'85 Volvo 740- Sold '98
'98 Chevy Tahoe LS- totaled by the ex in '04 (while prepping to ship out to Iraq)
'95 Volvo 740 Turbo- stolen in Chattanooga while there for the police test in '07
'94 Volvo 240- sold back to BIL (subsequent blown engine) '07
'03 Pontiac Grand Prix GT- died this year
'97 Volvo 850T5 sports wagon, with 211k miles on the clock and rescued it from the crusher

Cool car! I know Volvo has a long safety record... But what else keeps you coming back?
I would think being Swedish that parts are difficult to find or are more expansive. Are you able to do your own major repairs?

I haven't really looked, but I don't think my burb's headlights have been so dirty they needed wipers! lol
Old 08-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Cool car! I know Volvo has a long safety record... But what else keeps you coming back?
I would think being Swedish that parts are difficult to find or are more expansive. Are you able to do your own major repairs?

I haven't really looked, but I don't think my burb's headlights have been so dirty they needed wipers! lol
Parts are no more expensive online than any other manufacturer. And, so long as I stay away from the local dealer, major repairs aren't that bad either. As for the parts being Swedish, that is, sadly, no longer the case since the early 00's. My car, is in fact, one of the last models (the 940/960 is the other) to say "Built in Sweden".

As for why I keep coming back? My late grandfather ran one of the first Volvo dealers in the NYC tri-state area, my late father worked on them as an independent mechanic for 25 years. Because of that, my family has always had Volvos; plus there's common sense when it comes to their engineering (unlike Saab's of the same vintage). I can access all sides of the block, unlike in my Grand Prix; everything is right where I need it to add or check fluids. AND I don't feel like a dork in a station wagon, unlike if I were in a minivan

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
My brother buys new cars for himself and his husband every two years. That's what he likes, so what else is he going to spend his money on? Stuff he doesn't like?
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I'll take my NEW cars over the old ones any day... im a techie guy and want the latest smartphone integrations, best infotainment,.. I dont want to Own anything... I get tired of the same ole after a couple years.. i always want warranty...

I like Clean, sheen, shine, and fresh....

I could care less about car payments.. I dont have a wife, i dont have kids, I dont have a dog.. so i likely spend less on any car I have than people do on such things as kids, wives, and dogs.. so car payments for me are my enjoyment...

I have zero repair bills and zero maintenance.. i dont have time to be broke down and then have to shop for tires and do oil changes, etc.. I hop in and drive.. when ai get tired of the car i simply send it down the road... 2 year leases are a dream for a guy like me...

if I didnt enjoy the feel, look, sound , and energy of an OLD bus I probably wouldve Leased a new one... but the new busses are too much like cars and less like TRUCKS and I like that old TRUCK feel....

if I hadnt have listened to my dumbass father i wouldnt own a house either.. id rather not own it and just rent apartments where i can live wherever whenever however.. i want a more permanent address than living a bus having to worry about where to park every night and not having permanent internet.. I use about 200 Gigs of internet a month so Id go broke if I had to use cellular for that like i would if I lived in a bus...

my house will be on sale likely in the spring.. i have my florida apartment rented.. I plan to drive the bus back and forth between my house and the apartment as its moy mobile DEV lab that i can work while travelling.. once the house sells I'll have a downtown loft in the cuty of Columbus and still use the bus to go back and forth...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #19
Skoolie

Its different if your a techie or really into whatever it is you put your money on. I know people that buy 550$ Jordans and they are happy. Others drop 1200$ at the strip club and they see nothing wrong with it...and there isn't.

But when you are someone who is struggling and you realize you wouldn't be if you focused on what you wanted/needed instead of what you've been "conditioned" to want/need...Ahaa...Ahaaaaa! (in my Eddie Murphy voice).

BTW my 7-11 run$ are way too much I need to cut it
Old 08-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #20
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Have a dumb phone, a 1990 geo Tracker, 2001 neon, 2000 BB, '04 Scooter. Paid for house with 728 sf. No debt, good life.

Bought one new car in 1964, that's it for new cars.
LOL I'm going dumb next year