Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2024, 11:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Why does everyone sell their Skoolie?

I see lots of posts (usually not here), Reddit / YouTube / Social Media where people will buy / then build a skoolie. Then a year later sell it.

I personally do not own a bus. I have been on this forum for years. The main reason I never got one is because I didnít have a place to keep one.

I have a small box truck:

What I am looking for is a 6-7 window full frame bus. No, this will not be a full time rig. Just a weekender.

Most of the people I see selling them are living full time, and then shortly after doing something else. Probably just using it for social media revenue.

CaptainBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 12:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBuilt View Post
I see lots of posts (usually not here), Reddit / YouTube / Social Media where people will buy / then build a skoolie. Then a year later sell it.

I personally do not own a bus. I have been on this forum for years. The main reason I never got one is because I didnít have a place to keep one.

I have a small box truck:

What I am looking for is a 6-7 window full frame bus. No, this will not be a full time rig. Just a weekender.

Most of the people I see selling them are living full time, and then shortly after doing something else. Probably just using it for social media revenue.

peoples lives change.. or the bus was designed so they could live and travel the country for a few years.. a couple different members on here travelled and through their travels found someplace they decided they wanted to live fully and sold their rig..

others get a new job where they can no longer work remote, or suffer health issues where living in a bus isnt viable.. otehrs want a bigger rig or a smaller one...

id say the minority are the ones doing it just for social media views
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 12:21 AM   #3

If half of the Facebook Marketplace listings are to be believed, then it's almost always:
1) Had big plans on building, but life took a turn
2) Need money
3) Need a bigger/smaller rig
4) Was only using for camping/hunting/hauling and no longer needed

The following reasons are other likely scenarios, that aren't admitted in the listings:
5) Project was bigger than they bargained for
6) Build quality was shoddy, or there are fundamental maintenance issues, and they're too far into it, so they're looking to be rid of it
6) Possible issues obtaining insurance, or issues with registering/titling, because they either didn't do their homework, made modifications that nullified/reclassified the vehicle's type or insurability, or got stuck purchasing a vehicle with no title. (Depending on your state, if you see: "Bill of Sale, No Title," in most cases, it's safer to run away.)
HiPPy_SandWiTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:21 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Life and needs change. We have been thinking about selling our bus. We loved the 2 years we spent living and traveling in it but we haven't used it since we settled back down. It's bigger than we need for camping so it's just sitting by the barn looking sad that it's not being used. If we weren't emotionally attached to it we'd have listed it for sale.
Old 05-28-2024, 06:25 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiPPy_SandWiTCH View Post
If half of the Facebook Marketplace listings are to be believed, then it's almost always:
1) Had big plans on building, but life took a turn
2) Need money
3) Need a bigger/smaller rig
4) Was only using for camping/hunting/hauling and no longer needed

The following reasons are other likely scenarios, that aren't admitted in the listings:
5) Project was bigger than they bargained for
6) Build quality was shoddy, or there are fundamental maintenance issues, and they're too far into it, so they're looking to be rid of it
6) Possible issues obtaining insurance, or issues with registering/titling, because they either didn't do their homework, made modifications that nullified/reclassified the vehicle's type or insurability, or got stuck purchasing a vehicle with no title. (Depending on your state, if you see: "Bill of Sale, No Title," in most cases, it's safer to run away.)

in ohio its almost impossible to get a title as an individual... easy for tow companies and mechanics shops.. so you almost have to now Pay someone to "find" your "abandoned" vehicle, tow it to their yard, let it sit 60 days paying storage, at which time you can Trust them to file for an ohio title .. ohio will take a few months to search for the rightful owner.. who if comes forward your vehicle and whatever $$ you paid are gone.. it couldve been a long forgotten vehicle which when the last known owner is contacted responds with paperwork or original title that iits theirs.. the tow company can collect monies due and it goes back to them. ajything you paid is gone. ig they dont respond or refuse to pay, then a title will be issued to the tow company.. which will be a salvage non driveable title, in their name.. (they legally own the vehicle now).. they can sell you the vehicle.. (for usually the bill you have run up at the tow company for storage and towing)... then you now own it.. and must tow it to an ohio state patrol facility for inspection where you can apply for rebuilt salvage so it can be registered... one thing wrong.. (broken tail light.. missing defroster, inop wipers, etc) means you tow it home fix it and tow it back..

there are a lot of people in a world of hurt now that vermont no longer allows the registration loophole.. there are a lot of really nice old farm trucks and what not up for sale in ohio with bill of sale only...
Old 05-28-2024, 09:23 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Life plans change, situations change, and many people sell when they find out buses don't really come with "million mile motors".
I just recently got a 2012 Ford Transit. No intentions of camping in it or converting it. I have a son and its got a backseat and lots of room.
Before my son was born all I wanted to do was sell my house and live in a bus. Now I probably need to sell my collection of vehicles and put a new roof on the house.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:25 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Life and needs change. We have been thinking about selling our bus. We loved the 2 years we spent living and traveling in it but we haven't used it since we settled back down. It's bigger than we need for camping so it's just sitting by the barn looking sad that it's not being used. If we weren't emotionally attached to it we'd have listed it for sale.
As much as I don't need a bus- I'd sure love to have yours.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:16 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I sold mine because the conversion I did to it no longer suited my life.

It had 8 twin beds and a pull out couch so my friends and I could crash at music festivals.

Now I have a wife and kids and sleeping 8+ people isn't a priority. I wasn't desperate for the money, but the bus hadn't been used since 2019 or so, and it made no sense for me to continue paying for it and maintaining it when it was no longer being used.

It was about like a boat, the 2 greatest days of owning it was the first and last.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:08 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I don't know, I've had mine since 06 and am still using it but have been so busy we haven't used it since last fall, but I am getting anxious to go camping and smell a campfire, dinner cooking on some coals with plenty of time to kill! We have cleaned it up inside, washed it and charged up the water system, ready to go. Don't know which child will end up with it but it will be a real learning curve for one of them figuring out what does this or that do, or how the old man made it all work all the while trying to learn to drive it.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 10:13 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward - Volunteer
Engine: DT466, Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 8 Window
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post
Don't know which child will end up with it but it will be a real learning curve for one of them figuring out what does this or that do, or how the old man made it all work all the while trying to learn to drive it.
I'm laughing on the inside, trust me. I recently inherited my dads lot. I kept 4 of the 14 cars and not a one runs in a normal fashion. A hidden kill switch, or a "temporary fuel system". I got them and am working on them but a build sheet or even a sticky note on the steering wheel would have been nice.

Make a folder and just write notes in it with pictures. Your kids will thank you every time they open it.
Miloshk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 04:18 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Captain Built,

I am impressed with your rig. I am looking to do a box truck rig. I like the inside height, the longevity of the motors and box. I also like the clearance for boon docking. I would like to know more about your rig and how you made it livable. I am disabled and want to full time travel around America. But, I need to find work I can do and travel with. I am dreaming and planning for now. Unless I can win the lottery without playing. Sandy
nailtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 12:52 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Iíd imagine life changes for a lot of people. They have one for sale locally, they they gutted it, and then put in a sub floor and now itís for sale. They want too much for it. Itís a BB flat nose 8.3 Cummins pusher. They want $15k for it.

Like I said before, I am not a full timer. We will use ours for 1-4 week getaways like we do now with our rig.

I know an elderly couple when I lived in NC that has a 1960ís bus that they converted in the 70ís and still own it. Has over a million miles on it. Thatís my plan. Get a bus and keep it past retirement. Iím 45 now.

The box truck wonít hold up that long.

I am torn between a mid size and a RE 40ft bus. The only thing stopping me from buying a 40ft bus is having to drive it in cities.
Old 06-02-2024, 03:42 AM   #13
Almost There

So are you going to keep it or take the leap and sell it? We could give it a good home and we really need a bus home sooner than later. Tell me where I could find more info about it, the conversion, etc. Thanks.
tguy1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 08:18 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBuilt View Post
Iíd imagine life changes for a lot of people. They have one for sale locally, they they gutted it, and then put in a sub floor and now itís for sale. They want too much for it. Itís a BB flat nose 8.3 Cummins pusher. They want $15k for it.

Like I said before, I am not a full timer. We will use ours for 1-4 week getaways like we do now with our rig.

I know an elderly couple when I lived in NC that has a 1960ís bus that they converted in the 70ís and still own it. Has over a million miles on it. Thatís my plan. Get a bus and keep it past retirement. Iím 45 now.

The box truck wonít hold up that long.

I am torn between a mid size and a RE 40ft bus. The only thing stopping me from buying a 40ft bus is having to drive it in cities.

I drive my classic Superior all over the cities and tight small towns all summer long its a 37 ft conventional flat nose transits are actually easier to drive in cities than the conventionals.. you have great view of the front corners... and yes every now and then you have to curb the right rear wheel or make the traffic in the turn lane backl up.. the other day i made a turn where i cleared a sign post by 6" on one side and a ford range on the left by proibably 3". the ranger driver had big eyes but really it wasnt that hard to place the bus right where it needed to be..

if you ever get a chance to go and watch a achool bus safety Roadeo you can learn by watching the drivers whats possible to do with school busses.. and its more than you think..
Old 06-02-2024, 12:49 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguy1241 View Post
So are you going to keep it or take the leap and sell it? We could give it a good home and we really need a bus home sooner than later. Tell me where I could find more info about it, the conversion, etc. Thanks.
Selling my box truck?

It would be a few years before it would be sold. I would buy a bus, completely finish it, then sell my box truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I drive my classic Superior all over the cities and tight small towns all summer long its a 37 ft conventional flat nose transits are actually easier to drive in cities than the conventionals.. you have great view of the front corners... and yes every now and then you have to curb the right rear wheel or make the traffic in the turn lane backl up.. the other day i made a turn where i cleared a sign post by 6" on one side and a ford range on the left by proibably 3". the ranger driver had big eyes but really it wasnt that hard to place the bus right where it needed to be..

if you ever get a chance to go and watch a achool bus safety Roadeo you can learn by watching the drivers whats possible to do with school busses.. and its more than you think..
Thanks, Iíll look for that video. Old ladies been driving school busses in towns for years. Iím sure I could. I would love a 40 footer.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:48 AM   #16

Buses For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguy1241 View Post
Hi there tguy1241! I see you're interested in a bus home. I just converted two 40-foot buses, each complete with a king size bed, washer & dryer, full solar, a kitchen and bathroom, roof deck, an awning and projector on the side, and other features. I'd love to chat with you further and send over some photos/videos of the conversion if you're interested! Message me.
MelodiousDolphin21 is offline   Reply With Quote