Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #1

Why doesn't anyone use a hydraulic bed lift system?

Obviously, there are some major differences between a converted bus and a van, but I've seen many vans with beds that lift up, and below the bed is a dinette or living room space. I've been looking everywhere for a skoolie that had the same situation so I can get more of an idea of what it looks like, but I haven't seen it in a bus.

I imagine that in order to make that work, the ceiling would need to be lifted. Has anyone here ever seen anything like that?

Planet.Slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I have seen a few on YouTube. One guy had his King bed on a lift system so he could still use the back door. It was some kind of a winch system. I have a 40' so I don't think I need to save that much space to even worry about it.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I have seen a few on YouTube. One guy had his King bed on a lift system so he could still use the back door. It was some kind of a winch system. I have a 40' so I don't think I need to save that much space to even worry about it.
Dang, I guess I haven't looked far enough. Thank you for the reassurance, though. Its very helpful.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Are you thinking lift all four corners like straight up to the ceiling or just lift two corners but straight up 90 degrees for stowage like a Murphy bed? I've seen beds on lifts up to 45 for access to storage but I want to do the latter which is Murphy bed style which as mentioned probably requires a roof raise for clearance.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Are you thinking lift all four corners like straight up to the ceiling or just lift two corners but straight up 90 degrees for stowage like a Murphy bed? I've seen beds on lifts up to 45 for access to storage but I want to do the latter which is Murphy bed style which as mentioned probably requires a roof raise for clearance.
Yeah I was thinking all four corners, raise the bed
up completely(I think the idea requires a roof raise), below is couch/living room and/or dinette which can convert into a secondary bed. Many different ways you can utilize the space below the bed; some people prefer to keep their garage below the bed, I saw one couple kept it open as a space for their kids to play in.

I also saw a video of a guy who used a crank system, but he had to rebuild it because as he was driving, he drove over something that shook the bus, and the wood of the bed broke. It seems to me that the system someone builds for this specific idea has to be VERY carefully planned out.

Below the bed, I personally would use it as a U-shaped couch area with a table that can be stored on the ceiling of the bed, and converted into a guest bed using the back cushions.

Tags
bedroom, ceiling, hydraulic, living room, skoolie build