Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford E450 Van
Engine: 7.3L V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 5 window / 29 person / WC
Why is my bus leaning?

I need help brainstorming/troubleshooting...

My short bus (2001 Ford E450 7.3L) leans to the passenger side. Has for at least 3-4 months now (that's when I noticed the leaning).

A couple mechanics looked at it, both thought the lean was due to a failing leaf spring on that side.

So, I replaced the rear leaf springs on both sides. Sadly, no luck fixing the lean.

I've also tried taking all my stuff out from the interior and rearranging, just in case there was a weight discrepancy side to side. Even though the bus used to carry a 400lb WC lift on the passenger side, so you'd think it could handle a heavy load. But, still no fix to the lean.

Any ideas what else it could be?

The lean is 1-1.5 inches lower on the passenger side. Not terrible, but noticeable at times. And perhaps detrimental to the frame in the long run?

I've also taken measurements from the underside of the school bus floor to the frame, leaf springs, axel, etc. Measurements seem equal side to side.

I'm stumped.

Chad1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Frame to axle measurement is equal on both sides? Not trying to be stupid, just process of elimination and suspension is the first most likely suspect which is why you started there. Otherwise, just curious about the build, if more heavy stuff was unintentionally installed on one side including holding tanks.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
This might sound silly but what about the air pressure in the tires?
Are the tires old and maybe the sidewalls are not as strong as they used to be?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Try this: After parking on a flat surface measure the distance from the frame to the ground behind the rear axle using a mirror image approach on both sides. Next measure the distance between the outer lower rear body panel behind the rear wheels once again using the mirror image approach. Add the left hand measurements together. Add the right hand measurements together. These values should be the same. If they are not, try to determine where the difference is. It is possible that the floor of the bus is damaged and causing the bus to lean to the right and these measurements will help you rule out body damage.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
I have the exact same problem - leaning to the passenger side! Mine is a 4 window E-350 cutaway. I'm 100% sure the driver's side carries more weight - the back, where the lift would have been had one ever been installed, is empty on the passenger side, while the driver's side has the bed and bookshelf. I have also measured to verify the lean is real. I thought it might be logical that shocks and springs on the passenger side would take more of a beating, because the shoulder of the road (the right side) typically has more wear (at least here in MA), and also from years of kids entering on that side, jumping up and down the stairs. But I have replaced both springs and shocks, and the tires are properly inflated.

I can't see any floor damage, and neither have either of the two body shops I've taken it to. I'm following this thread for sure.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
why does it lean

step one measure ground to body at four points... pick a point like.... um right above the tire. write down the numbers to the nearest 1/4 inch.

measure frame to ground at four points.... I would pick where the bumper bolts to the frame......... measure the frame! not bumper brackets, not bumper bolts the frame. write it down...

now sit back an look at the numbers... do the numbers indicate what your eyes and brain tell you?

If yes, then when a body corner is low the frame on that corner should also be low.

If no, figure out why.

The next step is to find the amount of weight on each wheel corner left front, right front left rear right rear.

is the saggy side the heavy side? if weights are near equal, and frame body measurements are askew in a manner that agrees with body lean, then something is bent, mismatched parts, or bad springs. To a point, shock absorbers should not be a part of this problem... even high pressure gas charged shock absorbers should not amount to much.

It is possible the whole body is askew and not sitting on the frame evenly. It is possible the body is not "square" It is possible the two corners of the bus are carrying more of the load and causing a twist that is seen more from the rear than the front.

numbers first... evaluate 2nd decide 3rd

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Lots of buses list to one side. The Vista is sorta famous for it.
These buses aren't the precision machines some folks think they are.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
s

The next step is to find the amount of weight on each wheel corner left front, right front left rear right rear

william
Any ideas how to get this weight? I've been to 3 scales and have been told by all 3 they only do total weight, not side to side or front to back.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Many truck scales can do front/back weights, they have separate "plates" for each (set of) axles. Otherwise you'd pull one axle on, get the weight, then pull the next axle on, get that weight, etc until you get the whole rig, then subtract to get individual axles weights.

Example, weighing a tractor-trailer. Pull the steer axle on, and get that weight. Pull up to get the tractor on and get that weight. Pull forward and get the whole rig.
Weight 1- Steer axle - 12000
Weight 2- Tractor - 46000
Weight 3- Whole rig - 80000

Trailer axles weight - 80000 - 46000 = 34000 (legal limit in U.S.)
Drive axles weight - 46000 - 12000 = 34000 (Legal U.S. limit)
Steer axle weight - 12000 (no math needed since you got this 1st)

The easiest way to get side/side weights is to find a scale you can pull off center to get the one side, then off center for the other side - if you can find one willing and able to do it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
There are small portable scales the cops use that do each wheel, also race cars are weighed each wheel to check weight balance with small portable scales. Check with local racers and see who has some.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:28 AM   #11
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I'm thinking tire pressure, bad shock / spring or mounts. But, these are taller vehicles that are somewhat top-heavy, which will exacerbate any tendency to lean.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1865 View Post
I need help brainstorming/troubleshooting...

My short bus (2001 Ford E450 7.3L) leans to the passenger side. Has for at least 3-4 months now (that's when I noticed the leaning).

A couple mechanics looked at it, both thought the lean was due to a failing leaf spring on that side.

So, I replaced the rear leaf springs on both sides. Sadly, no luck fixing the lean.

I've also tried taking all my stuff out from the interior and rearranging, just in case there was a weight discrepancy side to side. Even though the bus used to carry a 400lb WC lift on the passenger side, so you'd think it could handle a heavy load. But, still no fix to the lean.

Any ideas what else it could be?

The lean is 1-1.5 inches lower on the passenger side. Not terrible, but noticeable at times. And perhaps detrimental to the frame in the long run?

I've also taken measurements from the underside of the school bus floor to the frame, leaf springs, axel, etc. Measurements seem equal side to side.

I'm stumped.
I would also check the measurement from frame to top of the spring while you are under the bus anyway
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
The shocks (unless with "overload" coils) don't carry any weight and serve only to dampen spring compression and spring rebound.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #14
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
One other thought... Have you checked to make sure that all tire and wheel sizes match? Wheels and tires of significantly shorter height would cause a vehicle to lean. Say, if your wheels and tires stood 26" tall on one side, but 29" on the other.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Don't know what type of suspension but if it's your frame that is leaning check all suspension bushing on the low side. If its the body check body bushings/ mounts etc. The hat channel also bows significantly if that is what your subfloor is constructed from. Another idea is a bad shock can cause the suspension to compress more than the other side if say the shaft is bent, corded and blown out. Determining if its the frame or body is key.
davisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:56 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=37788
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:07 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

You would think that the manufacturers would make a line change and stop it at the source. Then again, what's the profit in it?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Mine was caused by bad front springs. The springs had been replaced with cheap heavy duty springs. The right spring had collapsed. I replaced the springs with ones from the dealership and most of the lean went away.
Lkn4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: GILLIG
Chassis: G18E102R2
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3
Rated Cap: 23 sits 33 stand
Almost all truck stops have a truck scale. Since trucks are weight charged by the axle their scales are set up to weigh by the axle. BUT NOT LEFT TO RIGHT. We had to have our utility trailer have a certified empty weight. I pulled it to the local truck stop with our Suburban and they first weighed the the truck and trailer, then they weighed the truck without the trailer on the scales. The trailer by its self at 1950# was not heavy enough to be weighed by their scales. By the way the certification weight check was $12.50.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Bus leaning passenger side air ride.

Bus is leaning to passenger side and when I hit a bump in the road the right rear tires bottom out hard. Been like this since I purchased the bus. I noticed the rear axle was out of alignment. So I adjusted the axle. The bus still leans. There is about 3-1/2 inches space between the drivers side top of rear tire and outside of the wheel well and about and 1-1/2 on the passenger side top of tire to outside wheel well?
Any Clues?
Thank you
Walter62 is offline   Reply With Quote