Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Build
Chassis: International
Engine: 466E
Rated Cap: 66
Wi-Fi For Work

Hey there,

So both my bf and I work from home and use a pretty decent amount of Wi-Fi/data to run our systems. I need some ideas of how we can make it work on the bus. What would be the best option? What option has the most or unlimited data? Any advice on what experience any of you may have or what direction to look would be awesome.

WanderlustExistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I am still in the building phase and i also work from home and need a stable connection to work. I plan on using my current AT&T unlimited tethering plan to work off a hotspot. I also plan on adding a cell booster to help in some poor signal areas, not sure if that will be enough until i really test it out. My job does not require very much bandwidth but it needs to be stable for VOIP calls over a VPN connection to my office in Atlanta.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Specifically Wi-Fi?? Nearly none - at least out in the west.

Of course, it depends on where you are, where you plan to stay, how much data/bandwidth you need.

Many/Most RV parks have Wi-Fi. It is often not very good - or even usable. That said, I have been at a few where it was pretty good. Other than that, cellular data is about the only option. An external antenna/booster/amplifier may be essential - again, depends on where you are.

I'm a full-time employed full-timer and being connected is a requirement. I use all Verizon and two amplifiers. My primary amplifier is a weBoost Connect 4G-X. Here is an old post when I used a Wilson Sleek and external antenna (I still use this occasionally). Oh, another about working on the road.

Of course, there is always McDonalds, Starbucks, etc... - at least for big transfers.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryonis View Post
I am still in the building phase and i also work from home and need a stable connection to work. I plan on using my current AT&T unlimited tethering plan to work off a hotspot. I also plan on adding a cell booster to help in some poor signal areas, not sure if that will be enough until i really test it out. My job does not require very much bandwidth but it needs to be stable for VOIP calls over a VPN connection to my office in Atlanta.
Same here! Need it for my VPN and for Adobe connect, plus whatever online sites we use. I was thinking of using a hot spot as well. I am going to give it a try and see if it works, I just wasn't sure if there was another better option out there. Let me know how it works for you! We get our bus on Friday, so we are still early in the game but it's something important I have been thinking about.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Specifically Wi-Fi?? Nearly none - at least out in the west.

Of course, it depends on where you are, where you plan to stay, how much data/bandwidth you need.

Many/Most RV parks have Wi-Fi. It is often not very good - or even usable. That said, I have been at a few where it was pretty good. Other than that, cellular data is about the only option. An external antenna/booster/amplifier may be essential - again, depends on where you are.

I'm a full-time employed full-timer and being connected is a requirement. I use all Verizon and two amplifiers. My primary amplifier is a weBoost Connect 4G-X. Here is an old post when I used a Wilson Sleek and external antenna (I still use this occasionally). Oh, another about working on the road.

Of course, there is always McDonalds, Starbucks, etc... - at least for big transfers.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for the information, that helps a bunch!
Old 07-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
A couple of members here have mentioned similar work needs for reliable Internet. It I recall, at least two of them have indicated that they had to have data plans from more than on carrier in order to get the coverage that they need.

Brokedown or Caddilac would be good folks to talk to.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
A couple of members here have mentioned similar work needs for reliable Internet. It I recall, at least two of them have indicated that they had to have data plans from more than on carrier in order to get the coverage that they need.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I was about to mention the same thing. For me, I like redundancy. So if it is for legit work connection, I would invest in 2 different carriers, probably Verizon and ATT since those two seem to have the best coverage and at one time used competing technologies for their network.

I'd be curious if anyone has a router configuration that would be smart enough to distribute load between multiple gateways based on performance, because you might be able to make it seamless redundant that way.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post
I was about to mention the same thing. For me, I like redundancy. So if it is for legit work connection, I would invest in 2 different carriers, probably Verizon and ATT since those two seem to have the best coverage and at one time used competing technologies for their network.

I'd be curious if anyone has a router configuration that would be smart enough to distribute load between multiple gateways based on performance, because you might be able to make it seamless redundant that way.
Take a look at the Peplink routers.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skoolie, traveling, wfh, wifi, work from home