Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
Bus Geek

windows VISTA Uggggggggggg!!!

anyone here running vista? I just bought a new laptop yesterday and it came loaded with vista. It's terrible. if all goes as planned i'll be running xp by the end of the day. This computer is slower running vista than my old laptop was running win 98 with a intel celeron 333 mhz processor.
\

anybody else have problems with vista bogging things down?

it's not that it's marginally slower...........it's painfully slow!

Old 07-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Re: windows VISTA Uggggggggggg!!!

I set up a new computer for a friend that came w/Vista, it was my first (and hopefully my last) experience with Vista. From what I experienced with that, I'd say Vista would have to get a whole lot better just to SUCK!

I'm starting to brush up on Linux so when MicroShaft stops supporting XP Pro, I'll have something to go to.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Riddle my this, Batman....is there any REASON to upgrade to Vista? I upgraded to XP when I finally got fed up with ME and wouldn't go back for anything. Sure it has its flaws, but I'm very comfortable with it. I just don't see any reason to upgrade to Vista right now. If there is a reason might someone enlighten me?

As a side note...my roomie got a copy of Vista Home Premium for $5 from the university. He loves it and swears by it, but he also has a healthy computer that is well capable of handling it. My sister just bought a new computer just for doing her books for their business and had to return it because it was such a puke on Vista Home Basic. I guess a lot of it comes down to whether or not your computer can handle it. Minimum system requirements mean that it will run it...not that it will necessarily be a pleasurable experience. I know this well since I ran XP Pro on a Pentium 3 running 450mhz with 320mb of PC100 RAM up until about Christmas of this last year. Still...I have to wonder...why go with Vista?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

I was lucky enough to have bought my newest notebook last year in August before the months before vista came in. I just hope I'll get another year on this one before it starts to fail on me.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
Almost There

I just built a new computer and Vista did suck at first until I figured out all the little tweaks, tricks and which testicle to hold onto while installing it. It took me 6 hours just to get it to do a fresh install on a newly built machine the first time playing with it though.

It does hum right along though, faster than XP does on the same machine (we went back to XP for a while just to check it out using swappable HDs). Though this PC is definitely specked for Vista...
Dual Core 2.3 Ghz with 4 Gig RAM and 300 GIG of RAID HD space.

Running on the slower machines and Vista would definitely bog down to uselessness.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I run Vista on two machines and I like it very much (not as much as Mac OS X) but on each machine I had to reboot it a few times to turn off all of those annoying messages that pop up, I also had to do a registry hack to let the machine automatically log me in when I start it up.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Ok, Steve...you have experience with Vista and you are a computer guy. Can you tell me why a person would want to upgrade to Vista for every day stuff? I download, I go all over on the internet, I watch movies, etc and I fail to see why a person would want it other than for bragging rights and security...and I'm not sure just how secure it really is.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Yes! And I thought this thread was about bus windows.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #9
Skoolie

Check whats loading, the daughter bought a new laptop and it booted slow as hell too come to find out it had 2 virus programs and 2 anti spyware programs loading on top of the windows stuff along with all kinds of other crapola like instant message stuff and AOL something.

Try to uninstall everything you dont need, hers came with one gig of ram and was paging to the hard drive haha

Vista is a PIG ...
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:03 AM   #10
Almost There

I think everytime a new Win-Crap OS comes out these same comments are made, it is a pig, it is slower than heck. Then slowly the PC's are forced to add more and more upgrades to satisfy the horrendous requirements imposed by Micro-Suck and the grumbling dies away slowly. Just my observations after dealing with Micro-Suck for the past 20 years or so, gosh has it been that long?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver
Yeah, it's been that long... Sad isn't it?

My first experience with Micro$haft was with DOS 2.0 I think... Remember that horrendous steaming pile of crap Windows 2.0? Wow was that bad....

My first experience with Linux was Slackware... couldn't tell you what version, it was the first one available. I loved it!

-Mac
If Linux had a file manager exactly like windows I would be running some form of linux right now but they have some sort of file manager that will not let me locate files I just downloaded LMAO SO until the the linux geeks wake up and make something user FRIENDLY or at least something I can figure out like bill gates did with windows in the 80's ole bill gates will continue to get my money and my attention...
Old 09-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvodriver944ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
If Linux had a file manager exactly like windows I would be running some form of linux right now but they have some sort of file manager that will not let me locate files I just downloaded LMAO SO until the the linux geeks wake up and make something user FRIENDLY or at least something I can figure out like bill gates did with windows in the 80's ole bill gates will continue to get my money and my attention...
First off, what distro are you using?

Is the desktop GNOME, KDE or XFCE based?

I'm using Ubuntu w/ GNOME and I love it.

Windows' file manager is, of course, patented by Micro$oft, so no other OS will get a file manager exactly like Windows Explorer.

What distro, pick one I have tried dozens http://distrowatch.com/

Nobody else has a problem copying the file manager concept I see no need to make excuses.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?n=10&ei= ... or+windows

Again its hard for me to take the linux thing seriously when I cant figure out where I just saved a file on my computer, what made windows the number one used OS was how EASY it was to use, I have used EVERY release of windows ever made and NEVER had ANY problems finding files on my computer.

I have addressed this problem before in the linux community and the mentality I seen was they DONT want it easy like "windows"..... their fore its not easy and they will never be the number one used OS, another thing I noticed is their is hundreds available to make excuses for shot comings but year after year the problems are never fixed I am sure some day someone high up the linux guru ladder will swallow his pride and admit things need changed to make it user friendly for the new users then I can find my downloaded files.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
Skoolie

The post since my last post makes my case for me, please reread those comments, the mindset they have is the biggest stumbling block they cant get past and is whats holding the linux OS back, once they get past the mind set of having something unique and that only a geek can figure out they might catch up with windows.

I keep hearing how good linux is but still cant cant navigate my file system and find files I have downloaded, without being able to navigate to the files I just downloaded the whole thing is just totally useless to me.

I read the OS manuals for MS operating systems years after installing the new OS, I was able to play around and figure everything out this is where the linux system needs to be, a person learns by DOING not by READING this is one of the things that makes MS so successful and bill gates so stinking rich

I remember the first time I used windows and seen the "File Manager" icon on the desktop, SECONDS after double clicking it I had a full understanding and ACCESS to ALL my files, its funny I cant claim the same thing about the dozens of "better" linux based OS's I installed.

All is good here running win2k I hope they work out the problems built into VISTA so when they stop supporting win2k I can move up to something stable...
Old 09-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #14
Skoolie

macgyver, nice write up its the longest excuse I have read so far but it still does not get me any closer to finding files in any of the top 10 distros.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
Almost There

I say use what you know. To me, Windows is more user friendly but thats biased because all I've known is windows. I tried ubuntu before, Couldn't get the wireless driver in because the driver i had was only windows. ubuntu had built in drivers but you had to be on the internet to install them. I'm sure if I had tried harder then I would've got it up and working but I decided to slap XP back on the system.

I may try linux again, maybe not.
behappystupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #16
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvodriver944ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by behappystupi
I say use what you know. To me, Windows is more user friendly but thats biased because all I've known is windows. I tried ubuntu before, Couldn't get the wireless driver in because the driver i had was only windows. ubuntu had built in drivers but you had to be on the internet to install them. I'm sure if I had tried harder then I would've got it up and working but I decided to slap XP back on the system.

I may try linux again, maybe not.
which version of ubuntu are you running? I am running Feisty (7.04) and everything worked like a charm including wireless with no additional configuration or installs needed.

I'm not running ubuntu anymore but I do have the disk that I had used, let me see if I can dig it out.

It was..

'Version 6.06 LTS for your PC'
behappystupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #17
Bus Geek

the other day i ran across a post that claimed that all of the xp drivers for my laptop hp dv6305 have now been found. this is good, since previously the audio drivers could not be located. I formatted my hdd and installed xp. WOW! i would guess it's literally 10 times faster when it comes to rebooting. It took me several hours to get my audio working, but now everything is perfect.

i'm very happy now that i've upgraded to xp! After at 8 months of crappy bloated vista.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

I almost bought a new laptop a little more than a month ago and yes it would have had vista. The thing that turned me away was it had the new express slot instead of the old fashion pc card slot, so I would have had to buy a new sprint air card and if I did I wouldn't have been able to use it in the small gateway I have for travel use. I wanted the laptop so I could do some gaming when I have a trip to where ever the bosses send me with the school bus on the weekends. I ended up getting a Dell Inspiron XPS 3.4ghz on ebay. I did have to upgrade the memory to 2 gig and I changed the hard drive from 60 to 160 gig.

Sure I could have bought a usb aircard but sometimes with my abuse I'm sure I would have snapped the little bugger off many times by now.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Vista SP1 is out today, I don't use Windows but maybe it will have a fix to some of your problems. Or make it more annoying
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote