Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
Wont start. Stuck

1998 Dt 466 international. Ran out of fuel headed to the pump. It ran while i fueled. It stalled as i tried to drive away. Its done this before, but not like this. It usually starts back up with a jump. I've had the battery charger on it powered by my generatorfor plenty of time.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

It tries to start and then turns over too slow to catch

Old 01-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
if your fuel lines started sucking air its can be a tough road to fill them back up. Don't spin the starter for too long each time though, don't want to cook the starter in the process.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
if your fuel lines started sucking air its can be a tough road to fill them back up. Don't spin the starter for too long each time though, don't want to cook the starter in the process.
I'm thinking that's the problem. I'm going to try and plug in at this has station. Maybe my little generator can't give me enough juice. It trips the breaker on the 200 amp setting.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead pirate View Post
1998 Dt 466 international. Ran out of fuel headed to the pump. It ran while i fueled. It stalled as i tried to drive away. Its done this before, but not like this. It usually starts back up with a jump. I've had the battery charger on it powered by my generatorfor plenty of time.

Sounds like you got air in the fuel rail/injectors...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what he brokedown says.. when you run it till it stops then you empty the water separator, and fuel filter along with the rail.. it can take a lot of cranking to get it primed up,, some people install primer pumps on their 466E's for this very issue. the 444E has the same deal, except on the 444E you can unscrew the cap on the fuel filter and fill it back up with fuel.

if your 466 is like my 360, the fuel filters are standard spin ons but are a bit of a pain to get to.. if you can unscrew bot hthe water separator and fuel filter and pour-fill them full that should greatly reduce the amount of cranking you need to get it started.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
what he brokedown says.. when you run it till it stops then you empty the water separator, and fuel filter along with the rail.. it can take a lot of cranking to get it primed up,, some people install primer pumps on their 466E's for this very issue. the 444E has the same deal, except on the 444E you can unscrew the cap on the fuel filter and fill it back up with fuel.

if your 466 is like my 360, the fuel filters are standard spin ons but are a bit of a pain to get to.. if you can unscrew bot hthe water separator and fuel filter and pour-fill them full that should greatly reduce the amount of cranking you need to get it started.
-Christopher
Thank you again. Im gonna try it.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im assuming your WARN light only comes on for a few secon ds and doesnt stay on? lets make sure the computer wants to start it...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Yes. Only for a second.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Success! Damn. Took forever. I even wire brushed the battery terminals.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Success! Damn. Took forever. I even wire brushed the battery terminals.

Awesome...on till the next issue...the adventure continues[emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

Old 01-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #12
Bus Nut

I'm going to look at quite a few things in the morning. That shouldn't have taken that long. Over an hour of cranking. But she's purring now. Thanks everyone.
The Adventure does indeed continue.....

Old 01-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm going to look at quite a few things in the morning. That shouldn't have taken that long. Over an hour of cranking. But she's purring now. Thanks everyone.
The Adventure does indeed continue.....

Maybe there's a way to install a priming circuit?...seems simple...Idk...safe trips

Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Maybe there's a way to install a priming circuit?...seems simple...Idk...safe trips

Christopher said something about that. Definitely worth looking into. This is a full time on the road 365 day bus

Old 01-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Christopher said something about that. Definitely worth looking into. This is a full time on the road 365 day bus

Maybe a tee in the line near the rail? Idk...

Old 01-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Keep that pirate ship filled up and don't trust your fuel guage below 1/4, if that.
Dump the water separator once a week if you aren't keeping the tank full, condensation builds and no starts happen.

John
Old 01-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
My old M1009 would start sucking air up hill if I got below 1/4 tank on the gauge.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
After I inadvertently introduced air into my fuel system a few years, causing the engine to slowly die twenty seconds after starting, I installed an electric priming pump to prevent this from ever happening again. I bought a Facet-Purolator Posi-Flo 60104 electronic fuel pump and plumbed it in parallel to the main fuel line between the Racor primary filter and the engine's fuel pump, put a diesel-rated ball valve in the main fuel line (to force all fuel through the priming pump), and a switch and warning light on the rear start panel. Now, to prime the engine (Detroits do not self-prime!) all I do is close the ball valve, switch on the primer pump for a minute or so, and crank the engine - it will always start after a few moments' hesitation. Once the engine is purring I switch off the pump and close the ball valve. Easy! I was told that it wasn't a good idea to use a high-pressure priming pump, such as for EFI engines, otherwise it could blow out the seal on the Detroit's pump, but I now think that info is wrong - that's why I have a low-pressure priming pump intended for carbureted engines. And the warning light is to remind me the priming pump's still running after the big noise-maker starts - when it's running I can't hear the pump, or anything else for that matter!

As my bus projects go, this one is probably the easiest way to get a very worthwhile benefit - lots of bang for the buck. Well worth it. Now that I have it I may not ever need it again, but if I didn't have it . . .

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:04 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
After I inadvertently introduced air into my fuel system a few years, causing the engine to slowly die twenty seconds after starting, I installed an electric priming pump to prevent this from ever happening again. I bought a Facet-Purolator Posi-Flo 60104 electronic fuel pump and plumbed it in parallel to the main fuel line between the Racor primary filter and the engine's fuel pump, put a diesel-rated ball valve in the main fuel line (to force all fuel through the priming pump), and a switch and warning light on the rear start panel. Now, to prime the engine (Detroits do not self-prime!) all I do is close the ball valve, switch on the primer pump for a minute or so, and crank the engine - it will always start after a few moments' hesitation. Once the engine is purring I switch off the pump and close the ball valve. Easy! I was told that it wasn't a good idea to use a high-pressure priming pump, such as for EFI engines, otherwise it could blow out the seal on the Detroit's pump, but I now think that info is wrong - that's why I have a low-pressure priming pump intended for carbureted engines. And the warning light is to remind me the priming pump's still running after the big noise-maker starts - when it's running I can't hear the pump, or anything else for that matter!

As my bus projects go, this one is probably the easiest way to get a very worthwhile benefit - lots of bang for the buck. Well worth it. Now that I have it I may not ever need it again, but if I didn't have it . . .

John
Sounds very practical

Old 01-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #20
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
You all may have a primer on your bus and not even know it.

Cummins 6CTA mechanical lift pump has a rubber knob you push to manually prime- keep going until it fims-up and you hear the 'squish'.

My bus had this type of water separator on it- it has a manual primer built-in. Same deal, pump it until you hear it squirt- it may take 100 pumps, but it will firm-up when air is gone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	primer.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	18514

Diesel engines circulate the fuel- it doesn't just go straight into the engine and get burned, there is a flow that is used to cool the pump and the pressure performs some work. The remaining fuel gets circulated back into the tank- in a loop.The injection pump will usually get burped of most air if you can get the fuel to flow through it.

I have 24V 5.9L Cummins and it is fussy about fuel pressure; too little and it kills $$ injection pump. I put a Air Dog Raptor electric fuel pump and all new (empty) fuel lines.

I bumped the key 3x, waiting 20 sec between, and it filled and primed 30' 3/8 line w/ just 3 bumps. A bump on the starter activates the electric lift pump for 15 seconds, hence the bump.

Loosing prime on a diesel engine is no joke and even prof truckers have trouble getting re-primed at times.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote