Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
WOO HOO!! Tax season and new tools!

Got my tax return today! One good thing about having two kids is a big fat tax return! Aside from buying my school bus, I went to the Home Depot today to get some goodies for working on my bus that I didn't have yet! WOO HOO! A buddy who works at Home Depot gave me a 20% off a one time purchaes coupon so I made it count! Here's what I got.
Lincoln 175HD Welder
Lincoln Oxy/Acetylene port-a-torch
Welding mask, gloves and handbook
Assorted welding accessories. (I sure hope I like welding)
Rigid metal cutoff saw
Dewalt 4.5" angle grinder
Milwaukee Sawzall (I can't wait to play with this bad boy!)
100' extension cord for my welder
I already had a lot of wood working tools, but nothing for working metal! I should be set now!

Also, for good measure, I picked up a new hunting rifle for those pesky wild hogs! It's a Remington 700BDL 30-06 with a Leupold 3-9x40 Rifleman scope! WOO HOO! Tax return day is like Christmas! My wife got some new couches, a fish tank and a new camera. Anyways, we're broke again! HA!

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Just wait until your kids get to be my age and realize that being claimed as a dependent hurts. I have enough deductions that I wouldn't owe any tax, even if I had grossed substantially more this year, but I don't get to use them...yet....

100 feet of 10 gauge....youch! It looks like you got the set up that I still dream of. All I have is my el-cheapo angle grinder and a 130 amp Crapsman stick welder. I don't even have a sawzall....yet.

That's a really nice looking rifle. I have an m700 ADL also chambered in 30-06 and absolutely love the thing. There is absolutely nothing special about the gun except that it is basic and rugged and surprisingly accurate given the price and the fact that it's chambered in a 100 year old caliber. I still haven't been sold on the various new calibers like the WSM series. I load up a 220 grain soft point Remington Core-Lokt (my favorite ammo is also the cheapest...score!) and I know that anything in front of me is going down immediately and humanely.

What REALLY makes me jealous is that scope....
Old 02-03-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
Bus Nut

The Remington 700 model guns have been around since the 60's. They're nice, simple, durable and accurate! The 30-06 cartridge has been around for over 100 years. It's like an American Classic! A good inexpensive rifle is the Stevens rifles. They have an all synthetic stock and you can get one around here for $299. Wal-Mart also sells the Remington 700 ADL which is all synthetic and has a scope for around $350. I don't know how long that scope will hold up though. But for $350, you can't beat it! I am shooting 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt bullets. That should be plenty for any wild hog I run across! Those things are MEAN. A few months back, a couple buddies and I were out hunting with out 12 ga shotguns and a 44 mag. We had a big 200 pound boar charge us. We shot him once with the 44 mag, and six times with 12 ga slugs before he stopped! Then I had to go change my shorts!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Nice selection of toys. I have the same sawzall that you just got and so far I used it once. I bought it cause I got tired of trying to find the one the uncle has.

Now if you didn't get one yet you may want to. Get a cylinder of the shielding gas even though you don't need it you will find that without it your welds will more likley leave splatter. Myself I spent more money on my millermatic 210 and when I bought it I bought the largest cylinder they had and I have yet to run out and it has been 2 years now since I got it. But I do have a roll of the gasless wire just in case I'm in the middle of a project. Also I can't forget to mention that using the gas the welding is just easier in my opinion. Either way you will find stuff that you will use it on.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Nice selection of toys,oops tools, I agree with wmah, get the gas cylinder, talk to your welding supply house their are several mixed gases that work for different applications pure Argon is expensive,pure CO2 cools the weld excessivly unless your'e doing thin sheetmetal exclusively, I use a mix of 75%CO@,24%Argon and 1% Helium, it's a little more expensive than 75/25 but it gives me stainless capability with just a wire change. You can also weld aluminum with minor modifications, change the wire liner in the feed cable and use either pure Argon or Helium.
I have a spare gas cylinder and my welding supplier will exchange it back and forth for whatever gas I want for the refill cost. My preference is to have 2 smaller cyl's to exchange instead of 1 larger cyl,since I always seem to run out of supplies when everyone is closed. I have also found that in my case it is more cost effective to own my cylinders instead of renting.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
No drill press or even hand drill? Oh wait, there it is. Remington 30-06. Check.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess
No drill press or even hand drill? Oh wait, there it is. Remington 30-06. Check.
HA! I already had several drills. I could use a drill press. I see them in pawn shops all the time. I may pick one up sometime.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Oh, another thing.

Hey Everybody! We need to all pull together and try to boost Matt's spirits.
If this is all the enthusiasm he can muster for his project....

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote