Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
WTF is going on?

Another school shooting this morning. Latest count is 26 dead. What kind of garbage is this?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: WTF is going on?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12 ... -says?lite

Some frigging idiot..... I guess we need to teach our children how to shoot, move and not panic in this crazy world!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Very sad... My heart goes out to the families...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Another school shooting this morning. Latest count is 26 dead. What kind of garbage is this?
I can't do much if any better than Crazycal...just different words meaning the same thing. Feel kind of numb. How to stop these deranged folks? Probably more the realm of psychologists than politicians or pundits.

Off and on I have considered trying for a job as a school bus driver. If I had been the fellow bidding best wishes to the little people getting off the bus into that school I'd feel...well, don't know how to express that. I've never been a parent, but don't know how I'd survive what they're going through right now.

Bless those little souls.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/14/15907407-26-dead-after-gunman-assaults-connecticut-elementary-school-official-says?lite

Some frigging idiot..... I guess we need to teach our children how to shoot, move and not panic in this crazy world!!!
Dumbest thing I have EVER read on the internet!!!!

What kind of stupid sh*t is this to say?!?! Arm KINDERGARDNERS?!?!?!?! Theres 20 dead ones still sitting in their own blood right now 12 miles from my job. Maybe you can tell their parents about how "guns don't kill people"-that should reasure them. Or that the guns were registered-that should make them feel better.

So if you can sleep good tonite by thinking if these 5-6-7 year olds would listen to Ted Nugent-and should have a Glock in their backpack -do so. I can only picture the workers at Danbury hospital having lay 20 kids in the morgue.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Our prayers go out...
I see a lot more stupid shiat going on in the next week...you'd be surprised how many college kids "really" think 12-21-12 is the end and want to make a statement.
Ijust moved our son out today for christmas break/semester end...he says there are some dumb and ignorant *********'s his age...I'm glad he realises that.
And 2 weeks ago they locked down his dorm due to "a man with a weapon" I waited for over an hour in the parking lot (in the bus) and didn't have a clue what was going on,just figured last claas before turkey day was running late
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/14/15907407-26-dead-after-gunman-assaults-connecticut-elementary-school-official-says?lite

Dumbest thing I have EVER read on the internet!!!!

What kind of stupid sh*t is this to say?!?! Arm KINDERGARDNERS?!?!?!?! Theres 20 dead ones still sitting in their own blood right now 12 miles from my job. Maybe you can tell their parents about how "guns don't kill people"-that should reasure them. Or that the guns were registered-that should make them feel better.

So if you can sleep good tonite by thinking if these 5-6-7 year olds would listen to Ted Nugent-and should have a Glock in their backpack -do so. I can only picture the workers at Danbury hospital having lay 20 kids in the morgue.
I was not referring to the children, I was referring to the teachers having guns.... or at least someone in the school..... The teaching of our children is to prepare them to defend themselves when they get older.....
I am truly sorry for the kids and their families but gun control will only make it worse. The idiots that do this kind of crap will find or steal one should they want one.....

Guns don't kill people ....... people kill people......
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

im with greyeagle. u gotta have weapons that are available in the school, and also places like churches.
and some of us have had real guns since age 6, and somehow my brothers and sisters survived.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466/AT545

I don't think the gun control issue is the real issue in this situation. Suicidal/homicidal freaks will find some way to carry out their deranged impulses whether or not they have easy access to guns. Gun control may or may not reduce the number and severity of these incidents, but I think the more relevant issue is how can we identify which people are deranged in this way and neutralize the threat. Having more or less armed people will not stop these things from happening. Even if there were guns available to teachers in the school, a certain number of people would die before anyone could react. And if we were to arm everyone I still don't think it would discourage these types of situations; most perpetrators intend to commit suicide anyway - they don't care who has a gun or not. The perpetrator in the Newton incident was wearing a bullet-proof vest; he knew he would be shot, and that didn't stop him. The more effective strategy in my opinion is to identify homicidal tendencies in people and neutralize them before they get expressed. How to do that I don't know, I'm not a psychologist. But I do believe that is the answer to this phenomenon. Of course gun control advocates and gun proliferation advocates alike will see the situation through their own colored lenses.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

My city posts a school resource officer full time at each H.S.(special training) and several roving RO with 3 elementary/.jr high schools each. They are our communities eyes and ears to the crackpots we all must live with. This was a result of a HS shooting some years ago. It seems to be working and I hope it keeps working. You may want to consider such a program for your city--the nuts are out there, just saying.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
My city posts a school resource officer full time at each H.S.
But, are they armed? Or, just trained to spot the "nut" ,then make a call?

I really don't think that someone who uses a gun to commit a crime, or a nut, is worried about
whether it's illegal to have a gun.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We have plenty of gun laws. Passing more laws won't stop this kind of thing. If they don't use guns, they will simply make bombs. Instructions are all over the internet nowadays and Even I know how to make a bomb using fertilizer and diesel. I even know how to make a simple timer detonator. Thanks to murder mystery books. The guns used in the shooting were legal guns. They belonged to the shooters mother... the one he shot first. Until the motive is known for the shooting, crying out for more "safeguards" is a waste of time. Short of turning all schools into prisons with fences & armed guards, this will continue to happen. And even with a prison for a school, I'm not so sure that will stop it. Killers will simply find a way past that. From what I have read (not that you can trust any of it yet) the story is the mother didn't work at the school at all. The shooter had no ties to the school nor the people who worked there. At this point (7AM MST), it is assumed that there is no apparent motive. No real facts to go on yet, just guesses. Seems the shooter also did not have a history of mental instability or a criminal record. Two things that would have prevented him for buying a gun. But they weren't his guns to start with.

As for locking up the guns... I've watched the "storage wars" type reality shows and they bust open those little safes with a sledge hammer. Not too secure if a person is determined. So is a "gun safe" really as secure as we think it is? Personally I adhere to the old saying... "I don't trust a government who doesn't trust me to own a gun". And I certainly wouldn't tell the government that I actually own a gun by registering it. But I'm also from the South where having an unlicensed gun is pretty common. We have bought & sold many guns in parking lot with no licensing involved. BTW. I don't like hand guns. They are for one thing only... killing a 2 legged animal. On the other hand... I really did like David's little 3 shot 410. But he sold it to our former next door neighbour. Apparently 3 shot 410s are unique. I wouldn't mind David picking back up another 410. It was easy to shoot, didn't kick and leave a bruise on me, plus it used both shot & bullets. Neat. I think shot is best for "self-protection".
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Lorna we used to squirel hunt with 22 pistols ("short ammo") all the time,more sporting for getting dinner.
And as always if someone wants to kill something they will use what they have access to,be it a rock,bow,pointy stick water ...etc....
The mindset for "wanting to kill something" is different than "human survial if "hunted""...so until the "race" can identify and contain those that "someone" deems "unfit"....we as a human race will always be at their mercy....or thought at the time
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Somewhereinusa, Each of our School Resources Officers are fully trained sworn police officers who are armed at all times and are in direct contact with SWAT and each other. Each school has a "Resource" office housing the appropriate equipment that might be needed by a SRO and each SRO has a take home car that is also properly outfitted. The only concession to the "we don't want cops on our campus" crowd is that the SRO's wear kaki pants and black polo shirts with their badge on the belt rather than the LAPD Blues worn by the rank and file. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #15

The thought of cops at school is alien to me. All the way through high school, we didn't have any. This whole thing sucks and really has me bummed out. I feel really bad for the families that lost loved ones.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 12-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
We have plenty of gun laws. Passing more laws won't stop this kind of thing. If they don't use guns, they will simply make bombs. Instructions are all over the internet nowadays and Even I know how to make a bomb using fertilizer and diesel. I even know how to make a simple timer detonator...
In my previous post here I was going to mention alternative methods that the killer might have used, but my mind refused to go there. Besides, who among us would really have wanted to read it?

That woman in Arizona who was mad at her husband because he didn't vote in the presidential election certainly didn't need a gun - she just used her motor vehicle.
Quote:
And even with a prison for a school, I'm not so sure that will stop it. Killers will simply find a way past that...
Considering how dangerous prisons are, I couldn't agree more. The psychological environment of a prison-like school might only serve to destabilize even more people therein. Or so my imperfect knowledge of psychology suggests.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I was a sophomore in HS during the Columbine shooting. The day after that shooting, we had a city police officer on campus with his marked police car parked right at the front gate. 13 years later and the city still has an officer at the high school everyday. Besides the cost factor, I do not see a drawback to having armed personnel on campus.

But at the end of the day, nothing is going to stop humans from killing each other. We've had a real problem with it since the beginning of time.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by syke
...But at the end of the day, nothing is going to stop humans from killing each other. We've had a real problem with it since the beginning of time.
Agreed
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I agree with lots of what has been posted on here but few things I would like to bring up for food for thought.....

What did the airlines do after 911 for people who fly planes? They armed airline pilots. Doesnt it make sense to level the playing field with people instead of them being victims and cant defend themselves?

Those who brought up that we dont need any more gun control are 100% correct. The processes are as good as they can be with out infrenging on peoples personal rights. There is no way to pick out the psychos just by looks.

Being a father of a 5 and 7 year old kids this hits me to the core.

I saw this posting on Facebook and it real eye opener to me. I am a licensed conceal hand gun holder. I really wish Texas would go open carry. I personally think if ALL states did the same this BS would not be happening.

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #20

I guess they will need to take away the knives too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1220230

You Gotta Let Me Fly