Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2021, 11:15 PM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Oh man, this thread is combining two of my favorite machines, the tw200 and skoolies.
Before buying my bus I spend hours every week either riding, working on, or reading about my tw200. They are great bikes and unbeatable in certain situations. The tw200forum.com is a great resource for info or buying connections.
To the opening poster: a stock bike will not go 65 mph unless you are riding downhill with a tail wind.
I bought mine used with 300 miles for $3000 out the door from my local dealer. Good deals pop up, but you better act fast or someone else will. I would never pay over msrp for a toy. Just be patient.
If you are buying new, please consider the xt250. It weighs about the same, costs about the same, has more power, can actually go 65 mph, has more tire options, has been fuel injected for several years, and still has a low seat height like the tw200. I've owned 2 and for some reason have sold both but still kept my tw200.

Mountain Yawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:16 PM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Thats ok Beirdo, I don't even know how to shift bikes. Been riding large displacement scooters for years. Getting used to a clutch on the left instead of a brake might be what takes time to get comfortable with. Gotta start somewhere, right? I know my limitations which is why I chose that bike above. surprising power and acceleration without being able to pop wheelies intentional or accidental is a good thing.
Unfortunately, here... scooters > 50cc are classed the same as motorcycles... so even if I were to go that route, still would need to go get an endorsement. Never did learn to shift a motorbike myself. I've done many years of cycling though, so I do get the balance and braking issues fairly well. I used to take my mountain bike 10km each way to/from work... on one of the busiest streets in the west end of Ottawa up in Canada... Nothing like playing in traffic! I can shift a 21-speed mountain bike pretty well... it would just be learning new mechanics, etc.

I might go do a license course (they even provide the bikes) in the spring/summer... get the permit... then get some time riding about, and actually do the full road test, etc....

Most interested in the smaller bikes anyways, I kinda want to have a grocery-fetcher when I'm out with the bus. I might be OK with using a Mini Cooper (standard transmission only!) as a flat-towed toad, though... of course then I need to buy a car and towing gear anyways. I think the cost will be fairly similar in the end as I'd be towing a relative beater...

Some of these bikes do look really nice though. Ideally, I'd want a CanAm trike, but... that's classed a motorbike too... blast it all. Way pricey too.
Beirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:23 AM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
I sold my BMW GS and bought a tdub specifically cause it fit inside my sprinter van. It was the best all around 2 wheeled way to get around. I used it on road, highway, and off-road. 2up and as a mule for more cargo than I care to admit.

I bought it used on CL for under $3k and after putting in thousands of miles I sold it for more. At one time I had 2 since a woman found out it wasn't for her and hadrly put any miles on it.

The only thing it didn't do was long freeway rides and so I 'downsized' to a 300cc kymco scooter and this thing is a blast! I've gone from socal to vegas on the scooter and the gas savings had me smiling the whole time. I also got a kick when I was able to catch and pass a posse of HD black and chrome on my hog. Now with the bus I can easily carry it on the rear with a hitch rack
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 11.19.29 PM.png   Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 11.18.49 PM.png   Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 11.18.23 PM.png  
Old 01-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I believe its always wise to take a motorcycle course if anything to pick up on the newest tactics on being safe. I think its geared to that more so anyways.

Sepudo, I had a Kymco 500 that would get up and go. I sold that bike due to ongoing renovations on the house. We didn't have a garage and now have a 1088sq foot car park! My tools and toys were constantly in the way. My wife had a Yamaha Morphous. Still regret selling that one. Smoothest and most comfortable scoot we ever owned. The Kymco would numb my hands after about 30 min of freeway riding. It was too big a single for its purpose.

I currently have a Ram Promaster that I use to bring materials to jobs. Comes in handy for other things! I cut and modified the rear axle to tuck higher. Used to have a Sprinter. Loved that van but costly to maintain. Maybe I had a lemon, but every month or two it needed anywhere from $600-$1000 in repairs. ECU, glow plugs, carrier bearing, transmission module, glow plug module, several crank sensors....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2759.jpg   IMG_4364.jpg  
Old 01-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #45
Skoolie

I went from this Honda Helix 250 (65MPG)

To this 2014 Honda CRF250L (75MPG)

Yes the Dual-sport is street legal. Bought it for $2600(@ a Honda dealer) It had 10K miles when i bought it and it Rides run like brand new.

Now IS the Time to buy a Motorcycle at least up here in the cold northern part of the USA. Shop around and don't be afraid to drive to buy and save. I sort of miss my Helix Scooter but i needed to sell to buy my dualsport.
One thing i should say I ride sometimes at high altitude (12K feet) and I weigh close to 300 lbs myself. I had to swap sprockets out to regear this new to me dirt bike so it would climb a bit easier. GOOD NEWS is it is Fuel injected so i didn't need to rejet the carb.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #46
Bus Nut

I picked up the bike today. First thing I did was install a GPS 'cause my brain can't calculate where to go. Its on a switched circuit so it shuts off when I turn off the ignition. My bird Coco christened the seat when she left a poop. Been feeling under the weather again so I didn't have motivation for much else.

Its a 200cc with 26hp. My wife says the pillion is comfortable. She's happy so that's all that matters.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5551.jpg   IMG_5557.jpg  
Old 01-09-2021, 09:02 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
I am a Grom owner since late 2014. I went with a Grom after a Suzuki GN 250, which was after a Honda Hawk 650, which was after a Honda Magna 750.
I had two rules when riding, which was no one in front of me and no one behind. Well, that was a recipe for speeding tickets.

A Grom is a great bike if you don't mind 53 mph on level ground. And any girl friend has to be like 5' 4" and a less than 130 lbs to double up. Your nuts will thank you for that.

I'd look for a 250cc class bike if I needed to drive the highway, but I do love small bikes. Much more of that two-wheel spirit.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:28 AM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
I picked up the bike today. First thing I did was install a GPS 'cause my brain can't calculate where to go. Its on a switched circuit so it shuts off when I turn off the ignition. My bird Coco christened the seat when she left a poop. Been feeling under the weather again so I didn't have motivation for much else.

Its a 200cc with 26hp. My wife says the pillion is comfortable. She's happy so that's all that matters.
Awesome bike Simon!!
I have given up on finding an over priced Grom and waiting for the over priced CT 125 to arrive is not in cards for me so I too have been looking at the 200 Duke. There are lots of them around here, the price is decent and I think with some dual purpose tires and a rack that could fill the bill just nicely. Just need to confirm I can get it thru the rear door of the bus.
Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly again, can't imagine you're layin low and getting much rest.
Stay safe and stay healthy
Cheers

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:30 AM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Lots of "beginners" this year? lol
Hardly
Old 01-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

I love it! Enjoy!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #51
Skoolie

Bus'n it, nice bike. I didn't know about the 200 Duke until your post. Crazy that they are getting 26 horsepower out of a 196 ccs and still meeting emissions and noise standards. That's about twice the power of my tw200, which is still running an engine design from the 1980s.
Have fun with it.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Thanks Mountain! Honestly, I really wanted the TW for its on/off road capability but without spending too much money to get 65 with my wife onboard (combined weight of 264lbs) This bike I found by accident online. I am not much into sport bikes but something about the orange wheels grew on me. More-so it met my criteria of being somewhat lightweight at 308lbs and capable of 80 with just one rider. The cons are that its heavier than the TW or VanVan and not off road capable. In the end my decision was based on the fact we really do not "need" a dirt capable bike since 99% of the time we will be exploring a city area off the bus. If we are boon docking in remote places, there's really nothing a walks distance can't handle. The pros are great mileage, power, fuel capacity and eventually the appearance. Of course, the ability to muscle it onto a ramp at my current stage of life is a pro too! So the dealer priced it out the door for $5299 with everything included. The bike retails for 3999. So for them to get their assembly, fees and such, they lowered the bike to $3400. All in all, I think its an amazing value to buy something new along with a 2 year warranty.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Awesome bike Simon!!
I have given up on finding an over priced Grom and waiting for the over priced CT 125 to arrive is not in cards for me so I too have been looking at the 200 Duke. There are lots of them around here, the price is decent and I think with some dual purpose tires and a rack that could fill the bill just nicely. Just need to confirm I can get it thru the rear door of the bus.
Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly again, can't imagine you're layin low and getting much rest.
Stay safe and stay healthy
Cheers

Oscar
Thanks Oscar!

Honestly, I lost motivation. No desire to do much than type on my laptop in a seated position that helps my lower back pain. My head feels pressure although not sinus related. That said, I do make an occasional trip to the garage to look at the new machine. We looked at the Grom and my fear was lack of speed with 2 up. Nice looking bike though. The trail 125 was first on my list (Thanks to you for showing me the light!) but doubtful even with a second seat would it go faster than 50 with 2 up. Aside from that, you need 175cc or higher to enter the freeway system. Arizona is predominantly a freeway state even though you can get virtually anywhere on side streets. It's just easy to jump on the highway to get home faster rather than hit stop lights every half mile.
Hopefully I will be able to play with this bike when I feel better. Right now its almost 10am and I am trying to muster the energy to have my wife help me raise some sheet steel up to the bus. I would feel better if I at least hung the panels and then I could work alone afterwards to drill and rivet them in place permanently.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #54
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Thanks Mountain! Honestly, I really wanted the TW for its on/off road capability but without spending too much money to get 65 with my wife onboard (combined weight of 264lbs) This bike I found by accident online. I am not much into sport bikes but something about the orange wheels grew on me. More-so it met my criteria of being somewhat lightweight at 308lbs and capable of 80 with just one rider. The cons are that its heavier than the TW or VanVan and not off road capable. In the end my decision was based on the fact we really do not "need" a dirt capable bike since 99% of the time we will be exploring a city area off the bus. If we are boon docking in remote places, there's really nothing a walks distance can't handle. The pros are great mileage, power, fuel capacity and eventually the appearance. Of course, the ability to muscle it onto a ramp at my current stage of life is a pro too! So the dealer priced it out the door for $5299 with everything included. The bike retails for 3999. So for them to get their assembly, fees and such, they lowered the bike to $3400. All in all, I think its an amazing value to buy something new along with a 2 year warranty.
"beginner" sport bikes have long been THE bargain of the two-wheels-and-an-engine world.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #55
Bus Nut

There is nothing bargain about anything on two wheels in AZ. We looked at electric bikes and those too were in the upper 2 k range. Crazy. Maybe if I bought used and out of state would I get a bargain. Almost drove to Dallas last week to pick up a used Suzuki VanVan but after fuel costs I was in the same cost to just buy this KTM.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #56
Skoolie

The Duke should work great for you. If I was closer, I would be a gentleman and offer to ride it for you, test the top speed, braking, and cornering limits, since you aren't feeling well : ).
Years ago I had a ninja 250, which was similar in size and also had about 26 HP. It was a very fun little bike. I could rip through the rpms and shifts like a hooligan, and not be breaking the speed limit very often. It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
I think there might be some good 80% street/20% dirt tires in your size that would make it less scary on mild off pavement stretches.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Thanks Mountain. I did all my test drives and tire kicking through YouTube University. I couldn't find anything negative about it. One guy was against the 200 Duke but he was a Yamaha man. Thats ok. Many shoes, many sizes, many wearers. I normally do not fit the demographic that this bike is intended for. I am changing the rules. Now KTM will get a survey conveying my needs as a RV user who needs a decent power bike at a light weight! LOL