Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Yamaha TW200

I didn't want to clog another thread about motorcycles so I started one regarding this bike I may be interested in.

The other day my wife and I went to look at bikes. I settled on the Yamaha TW200 for its lightweight rating and ability to do two up as well as dual purpose.
The problem is no one has them since each dealer I called says they sell them like hot cakes.
We looked at the Honda Grom, but it seems really heavy for a 125cc bike and supposedly the TW200 can do up to 65 on stock gearing. So anyway one major dealer here after telling the sales guy I would come over and pick one up when he got it in stock gave me a ridiculous out the door number of $7100 for an advertised $4699 bike. Another came in at $6k after assembly, tags, docs, delivery, destination, etc.

Is it worth it?? I am looking for a light weight bike to put on a rack on the back or front of the bus. Arizona is a year round motorcycle state with no helmet laws so it doesn't seem like they give any discounts.
Attached Thumbnails
0dbda67e-931a-4b72-9c8e-b944c06c9c6e.png  

Old 01-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
They're fun get-around bikes, and great for inexperienced riders. Very easy to ride. Low on power. Easy to work on. Not good ground clearance & the suspension isn't the best, so don't expect to do any serious off-road riding. But having fun on trails for sure. $6K+ though... I dunno about that. You should be able to find them used for way, way less, and since their target audience isn't the people that normally ride them into the ground, they're usually in pretty good shape. Usually throw in a battery, clean the carb, and off ya go.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

This would be more of a toy for now and backup transportation when on the bus. I used to have a Morphous 250 and with my wife aboard it was decent for what it was. This was when we were both morbidly obese! We lost a combined 130lbs.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
This would be more of a toy for now and backup transportation when on the bus. I used to have a Morphous 250 and with my wife aboard it was decent for what it was. This was when we were both morbidly obese! We lost a combined 130lbs.
This is one of the bikes I'm also considering but yes the price in my opinion is extremely over inflated. My requirements are that its powerful enough to double the wife around for exploring after we set up camp but also light and small enough to fit in the garage thru the back door of the bus(must use ramp) no wheelchair lift. I have had the opportunity to test ride the Grom and thought with decent tires it could work. Was checking out the YouTube videos of the Thai CT125's that someone else referenced(DeMac?) they also seem very up to the task with a little tweeking.
Congrats on that awesome weight loss, must feel great. Something that only gets more difficult each year!
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
FAC
Almost There

Engine: Cummins 24valve 5.9
Rated Cap: 84
Used I s for sure the way to go. Here’s one in my area for $2400 as long as you don’t mind the 90’s color scheme

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined
FAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
They're great bikes, but they're ones you can find CHEAP used as they're "beginner" models.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Aside from the FB blue one the next used one I found they're asking nearly 4k. For that I might as well just give up and pay the piper. In my life I have always found it just better to buy new since we keep what we buy. The other issue is that the ones that are decently priced are in "winter" states where they don't sell bikes easily this time of year. I really don't feel like driving 1500 miles to get one. (We did this one time going to Dallas on an overnight drive from Phoenix to pick up another bike)

Arizona is what it is. People buy toys at full MSRP which is crazy. Dealers may negotiate on their assembly and delivery fees but that's about it.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They're great bikes, but they're ones you can find CHEAP used as they're "beginner" models.
Disagree with finding them cheap. Because of demand and limited stock It seems the used sellers all seem to think they're going to get their retail money back based on popularity. Local guy around here asking almost $1000 over retail for a two year old Grom with 7000km because he wants to recoup his taxes and dealer prep fee's. But he calls it (like new).
Might need Charlie to crate me up one of them little 2 stroke scooters!
Oh well, keep searching.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Too bad you can't find a new 2 stroke scooter or dual purpose bike! I saw a banshee on a trailer the other day. That thing will end your life if you're not careful! Was in showroom condition too.

Very true Oscar. I can't find a single new one here as I am told they sell them immediately when they come in. There seems to be a cult following for any small displacement bike these days. The used one I found about 40 minutes from my house, that dealer is asking $400 less than new. He wouldn't budge on the price either.

Regarding the new Honda 125 trail, one guy says they will be lucky to keep what they have in stock longer than a few hours. Says if I wanted one, to order it. (again at full MSRP) None of the dealers I called had any in stock and chuckled when I asked about it. All dealers had the same consensus that the demand for bikes currently was the reason for the lack of negotiating. I guess with Covid and loss of employment really just separated those that could buy stuff from those that could not. Seems as if the economy is unaffected around me.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Heres a 2020 used on FB for $4500
Beginner bikes are a bargain for the subsequent buyers.

I like this blue one for $3500
Old 01-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Both nice bikes with the blue one having more money spent on it. Its too far from me though. I appreciate the link though. I know they're beginner bikes but that doesn't matter for me. We are looking for an "RV" bike that is as light as possible to load. Basic transportation for getting into small towns. Other considerations was for us to get an eBike but they are speed limited along with range.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Both nice bikes with the blue one having more money spent on it. Its too far from me though. I appreciate the link though. I know they're beginner bikes but that doesn't matter for me. We are looking for an "RV" bike that is as light as possible to load. Basic transportation for getting into small towns. Other considerations was for us to get an eBike but they are speed limited along with range.
I relish in the "beginner' part. That means "bargain" for me when someone decides they need to "up their racerboy game".

A good example- the Ninja 250's. I love em and they're DIRT cheap cause they're "beginner" bikes.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:27 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Aside from the FB blue one the next used one I found they're asking nearly 4k. For that I might as well just give up and pay the piper. In my life I have always found it just better to buy new since we keep what we buy. .

If you gotta buy new, try to buy it from anywhere but a "Ride Now Powersports" dealership, if that's even possible these days. Back when I was active, they were gobbling up all the smaller shops. From what I hear now they've pretty much succeeded. They were unethical money grubbing thieves back when they were "Metro motorsports", and AFAIK that has not changed. Their reputation was so bad it was a running joke in the motorcycle community. Apparently screwing people over is a good business model, however. They make $ hand over fist.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I know they're beginner bikes but that doesn't matter for me.

That's a good thing all the way around.
Anyone who doesn't have fun on 'beginner bikes' probably hasn't been around bikes all that long ;)

Old 01-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Yes, the highest price I got despite telling them I was ready to come pick it up was from Ride now motorsports. I believe its a Coulter Cadillac owned business. Yep, they gobbled up so many small businesses. I am working with one up in Anthem which is a different dealer. They were the one at about 6k out the door. Still alot of money but at the end of the day its $1500 more over a used one. Now, that blue one in FL is well cared for and upgraded but it still has 8500 miles and its already 7 years old. If it were close to me I would consider it before going new.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Just texted my local Yamaha dealer that you were looking for TW200's... he said "Good Luck finding one, Yamaha sold more than they had, Mid-February for re-stock"
That'd be perfect timing for Spring riding
Old 01-02-2021, 06:07 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Lots of "beginners" this year? lol
Old 01-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #18
Bus Geek

My VERY first taste of 2 wheels with an engine was a BW80-

a TW200 is on my short list of "beginner" bikes to own. I'd like one of those and another ninja 250. And now that they're far less hip i think eventually I could own an older Harley. Like from the chain drive era.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

That is too cool!
Is that yours?

I always loved those for their aesthetics. Never rode one but I bet they were a hoot!

Quote:

a TW200 is on my short list of "beginner" bikes to own. I'd like one of those and another ninja 250. And now that they're far less hip i think eventually I could own an older Harley. Like from the chain drive era.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:

That's awesome ECCB
I had the 350 version of that thing and man was it a bear to stay on sometimes!
Lots of band aids in the backpack for sure.