Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2021, 09:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Yay or Nay? 2009 BB with 5.9 cummins

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2009 Blue Bird (mid-size, 9 window) bus from a dealer for $7,500 (they will take out the seats for me). It has a 5.9cummins with 159K miles.
I have heard that the Cummins 6.7 is the post 2004 dpt/def engine to look for but I'm wondering if ,in this crazy market, is this an ok deal or should I just run the other way.
I appreciate any advice!

mustangbebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:10 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I would have paid 7500 just to have the darn seats removed.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:11 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
The price is on the high end but A) it's dealer markup and B) shorter buses are less common so have always commanded somewhat of a premium. The mileage isn't bad. The seat removal isn't (or shouldn't be) a great value added service but unless they give you a breakdown with or without it you won't know what they're charging for their time and labor. It seems that you're already aware the low desirability of emissions era engines within this community but eventually we will have to move past it as time makes pre-2004 buses more scarce.

Something you didn't mention is the overall condition... Is there any rust? Visible or lurking under the surface, rust becomes the endless scourge that devours your budget and your time. I've always looked at the corners of the entry steps for signs of rust, these are early tell-tale signs especially in snowy states as kids board with snow-covered boots and it gets knocked off here to melt and accumulate. Also check around the wheel wells, the door frames, both inside and out.

Ultimately price is determined by your budget and market value. If this bus checks all your boxes and you're unlikely to find another one like it anytime soon and you have the funds to purchase it now without negatively delaying your build plans, then it's your call. I and others here though will encourage aggressive negotiation on that price because you're paying more than necessary and I'm a lot less sympathetic dealing with a dealer than a private seller.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:27 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbebo View Post
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2009 Blue Bird (mid-size, 9 window) bus from a dealer for $7,500 (they will take out the seats for me). It has a 5.9cummins with 159K miles.
Ok, I'll be the one to say it... Perhaps my sources are wrong, but wasn't the 5.9 out of production by then? 2007-ish, due to emissions requirements?
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:20 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Cheese Wagon is correct. Engines are called by so many different names, I have started collecting data. The 5.9-liter ISB Cummins was produced: 1998.5–2007 (aka I6 or L6 or 24valve ?). Could it have been an old chassis, or does the seller just have it wrong? Peace, Kev
Kevmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:47 AM   #6
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevmiami View Post
Cheese Wagon is correct. Engines are called by so many different names, I have started collecting data. The 5.9-liter ISB Cummins was produced: 1998.5–2007 (aka I6 or L6 or 24valve ?).
The 5.9 is the ISB series, I6/L6. 98-older 12-valve, 98.5 - 07 24-valve. I suspect the seller doesn't know much about what they are selling. Either it's a different year model, or it's not a 5.9. Not factory anyway.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I would have paid 7500 just to have the darn seats removed.
Ha! Yes, that is exactly my line of thinking!
Old 03-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
The price is on the high end but A) it's dealer markup and B) shorter buses are less common so have always commanded somewhat of a premium. The mileage isn't bad. The seat removal isn't (or shouldn't be) a great value added service but unless they give you a breakdown with or without it you won't know what they're charging for their time and labor. It seems that you're already aware the low desirability of emissions era engines within this community but eventually we will have to move past it as time makes pre-2004 buses more scarce.

Something you didn't mention is the overall condition... Is there any rust? Visible or lurking under the surface, rust becomes the endless scourge that devours your budget and your time. I've always looked at the corners of the entry steps for signs of rust, these are early tell-tale signs especially in snowy states as kids board with snow-covered boots and it gets knocked off here to melt and accumulate. Also check around the wheel wells, the door frames, both inside and out.

Ultimately price is determined by your budget and market value. If this bus checks all your boxes and you're unlikely to find another one like it anytime soon and you have the funds to purchase it now without negatively delaying your build plans, then it's your call. I and others here though will encourage aggressive negotiation on that price because you're paying more than necessary and I'm a lot less sympathetic dealing with a dealer than a private seller.
There was no visible rust on the outside - it actually looked great. Steps looked good. Inside however I noticed some around the wheel well behind the driver seat and the bolts holding the seats down had some corrotion - so them removing the seats was a VERY big deal!

It is more than I wanted to pay but this market just seems to be grab what you can while it's available. I'm mulling it over - and still looking at the same time. Thanks for your reply!
Old 03-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I was thinking that maybe it wasn't original because when they opened up the engine cover, the engine was all one color (orange-red color?) and wasn't sure if it was a protective coating, or meant something else?
Old 03-30-2021, 10:40 PM   #10
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbebo View Post
Thanks! I was thinking that maybe it wasn't original because when they opened up the engine cover, the engine was all one color (orange-red color?) and wasn't sure if it was a protective coating, or meant something else?
Steam Jennys and powerwashers have been dubbed "the 30-minute overhaul" by flippers, and rattle-can spraypaint comes in so many colors the color really doesn't tell you anything other than it may have been repainted. It's simple enough to powerwash and repaint an engine to clean it up. And most people gussying up a vehicle in such fashion don't generally concern themselves with matching paint colors.

Just because the paint used is Mopar orange, Cummins red / beige, Caterpillar yellow or something close to it doesn't turn a MaxxForce into a Cummins, or Cummins into a Caterpillar. And getting the year wrong doesn't turn a 6.7 into a 5.9, or vice versa.

The only way to truly identify the engine and to know if it is correct and original to this vehicle is to get PICTURES of THE ENGINE. Cummins offerings generally give themselves away from the rocker cover design, others generally have little differences that readily identify them if you know what to look for.

A true 2009 model would have a DPF in the exhaust system, POSSIBLY a Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) aftertreatment fluid fill tank. The other possibility is that the bus in question really does have a factory 5.9, but someone got the year wrong. When dealing with flippers selling multiple vehicles, it is very common to get one vehicle's info mixed up with another. A member here was hoodwinked on Public Surplus because some moron got the info for a Gillig of unknown year mixed up with the info for the 1995 Blue Bird they were interested in.

Pics showed a Gillig, but the VIN decoded right. And the VIN is what the member bid on. Of course, the selling agency cried foul when they realized their own mistake had cheated them out of their desired reserve, and the sale was cancelled for relisting, but I have seen this work the other way around when I bought a vehicle based on incorrect information.

Point is, if there's one thing I've found, is that people do not pay attention, and this means that most get model years and engine displacement wrong all the time, simply because they can't be bothered to take the time to think long enough to get things right... often with "Beavis And Butt-Head"-like results, as shown here:

Attention to detail. It can mean the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse, and helping your uncle Jack, off a horse. See what I mean? However, such half-*ssed, "close-enough", "whatever" thinking is encouraged by most in today's society, until it personally inconveniences them or hurts / kills someone, ONLY THEN do they want to know why.

Perfect example (and this got a bit longer than I planned, but to prove my point). I once worked at an Auto Zone. Store was open from 7 or 8 am to 10 pm. We generally had a stack of returned parts taller than any of the employees by about 6 pm. This was because most parts store counter monkeys know nothing about vehicles and don't really care whether the customer gets what they need. if the computer can't pull it up, it isn't worth knowing and 99.9% will argue with the customer, who quite often knows their vehicle better than they do.

A fellow came in looking for a water pump for his 1990 Caprice. GM was known for sticking whatever engine in whatever car back then. For example, Chevrolets with Olds engines, Oldsmobiles with Chevrolet engines, Cadillacs with Olds and Chevrolet engines. In short, just because you bought a particular division's offering of a vehicle didn't mean the engine was a product of that division.

Most anyone there would have simply given them a water pump for a Chevrolet engine, rushed him out of there, and on to the next customer. I asked which engine he had, (four options, one V6, three V8s), and he only knew it was a V8. Knowing certain details of GM manufacture as I do, I asked questions to narrow down which one he had, and it turned out he had the 5.0L Oldsmobile, also known as the gutless wonder 307 -- NOT a Chevrolet engine, which shared ZERO common parts -- even the carburetors were different because the fuel line feed was angled differently on the Chevy vs the Olds.

So, if I had done like the others, this man would have returned that day or the next, angry he had not been given the right part(s). Are we seeing yet why our return stack was so massive so early in the day? The man was so impressed that I knew what I knew, that I wound up turning a $30 water pump sale into about $85-$95 worth of extra stuff by simply recommending it since the coolant would be drained anyway. And none of it was unnecessary, just little things that made sense for a then-10-year-old car with unknown history.

Here's the kicker. I was pulled aside later and chewed out for taking too long with customers. Guess what happened two weeks later? A rather interesting letter from corporate, and a customer, arrived within four days of each other.

A few weeks earlier, I had noticed a gentleman hanging around the counter that everyone else seemed to be avoiding, so I asked if I could help him. He said he wasn't sure, so I asked why. He was stuck in our parking lot with a seized wheel bearing on a trailer, bringing his vacation to a halt on a 95-degree day with three children, the dog, and the wife in the SUV the trailer was attached to. Textbook definition of anywhere from hell to purgatory.

Unfortunately, the trailer was not a 'plug-and-play' application that could be looked up in the computer, so the other idiots there were useless to him. We had a rather large selection of bearings and seals that rarely sold, but the failed bearing he had removed was chewed so badly the part number was obliterated. Even though it was more of a pain in the *ss to him, I suggested he remove the good bearing from the other side, which would still have a legible part number, as it was highly likely we had what he needed, we just needed to identify which bearing set he needed. Even lent him the jack from my car to raise the other side, as the only one he had was already supporting the trailer on one side.

Boom. We had six sets, and he was back on the road in 45 minutes. He was so impressed I actually took the time to use my head for something besides a hat rack, and so happy that I helped him save his vacation from ruin, that he wrote the store manager, and corporate, who had forwarded a copy of his letter and their subsequent commendation of my customer service efforts.

However, I was fired and flagged as no-rehire within a month because the manager still felt I was taking too long with customers, when I was obviously the only one there who got things right the first time. I actually had people asking for me by name because they didn't trust anyone else to get them the right parts. I don't know about you, but if I need parts for my vehicle and someone gives me the wrong parts because management won't let them take the time to get it right, I'm not going to waste my time going back to that store after I return the parts that weren't right.

I was actually chewed out (at length) by one man who'd driven four hours from the other end of the state because he'd been told we had a part that we didn't have, because someone did not pay attention to which engine he had. Fortunately, another place nearby had what he needed. I have to wonder if the customer hadn't simply gotten confused about which store told him they had it -- though I certainly wasn't going to tell him that. Ever try to baptize a cat? Similar results.

But I digress. Point is, never assume anyone knows what they are talking about until they prove it. If my experiences in life have taught me anything, it's that 99% of the time, 99% of people are full of s--t and don't know their *ss from a hole in the ground. And what's worse, they actually believe they know everything and will never admit they might be / are wrong, even when they admit they themselves do not know, but their Johhny Jack*ss buddy around the way told them so, or made a lucky guess last week, so, hey, it must be gospel, right?
Old 03-30-2021, 10:50 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
If it is a 2009 engine with DPF I say Nay.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote