School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   Escape hatch replacement (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/escape-hatch-replacement-10221.html)

shortbuslew 02-10-2015 02:04 PM

Escape hatch replacement

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

New to this forum/owning a bus.

Long story short; I bought this bus the other day and already in Texas we need A/C.

I want to replace the roof escape hatch with an A/C unit but I'm having a hard time finding information on what I should get.

The hatch measures approximately 22.5" x 22.5".

Please advise,

Thanks

EastCoastCB 02-10-2015 02:09 PM

you need to cover the hole from the hatch with steel and have a 14" hole cut into that for the rooftop ac unit. I'm doing the same with both mine plus I'm adding two powered roof vents. Us southerners NEED AC!

shortbuslew 02-10-2015 11:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about bolting down the hatch and just cutting the 14x14 in the hatch. Then secure the a/c to It. Those roof vents sound like a good idea

EastCoastCB 02-11-2015 12:25 AM

I don't know how strong yours are, but mine both leaked from the ill-fitting plastic framing and the hatches themselves were extremely brittle.
For now I have some patch panels I made from the ceilings i pulled out and they're held on by the screws that held the hatch on there.
There are also RV roof exit hatches that can be bought in various sizes too.

Veganvegabond 02-11-2015 01:31 AM

I've used silicone sealant for years to patch up leaks on RVs and my old van(vent hatchs seem to like to leak regardless of the type of vehicle). It's illegal to buy in California, but should be legal in Texas.(https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-II-Win...vZc5bpZ1z115jp)

Also...can we trade places please? It has yet to get into the 60s here...

cat.bleish@gmail.com 05-12-2016 11:23 AM

Ours are leaking too..... is it better to replace or just remove? What sort of AC are yall installing?

EastCoastCB 05-12-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat.bleish@gmail.com (Post 147607)
Ours are leaking too..... is it better to replace or just remove? What sort of AC are yall installing?

Panel over it and put a vent in its place.

Docsgsxr 05-12-2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat.bleish@gmail.com (Post 147607)

I replied on your other thread.

Robin97396 05-12-2016 03:05 PM

The hatches seem to be designed quite well to keep rain out. You could put all the silicone you want on mine and it would still leak. Putting a rubber gasket under the knob used for opening the hatch from the outside stopped the leaking in my hatch. The hatch wasn't leaking at all. Water pools on the top of the hatch and comes through the knob hole. That caused me a lot of mopping and several months of stepping around a bucket in the center of the isle during the winter. I fixed that knob without realizing that was the source of the leak until later.

GreyCoyote 05-12-2016 03:25 PM

Saw a skoolie on the road once that had a snow saucer inverted over, and bolted to, the escape hatch. Simple and effective, albeit inelegant. It kept the water out and let air in.

I'm seriously thinking about doing this for my bus as an in-storage option.

cat.bleish@gmail.com 05-12-2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 147620)
Panel over it and put a vent in its place.

We have 3 vents, also all leaking...

cat.bleish@gmail.com 05-12-2016 08:28 PM

This is great info... I wonder if that is our issue, too. There is a TON of sealant from the previous owner, and we tried adding more to no avail.

EastCoastCB 05-12-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat.bleish@gmail.com (Post 147680)
We have 3 vents, also all leaking...

Re-install them, or look into higher quality units. Seal them up properly and they don't have much of a way to leak.

RHOMBUS 05-13-2016 08:59 AM

Going to look for snow saucers now. Sounds like a cool option for other things.

Meh, nevermind. Was hoping for the big metal ones. THey just make plastic these days.

slaughridge85 05-13-2016 11:10 AM

Someone on here gave me the genius idea of just siliconing a small pet food dish over the exterior knob on the hatches. Super cheap, effective and it should be pretty much unnoticeable...

Robin97396 05-13-2016 11:40 AM

I'm thinking the roof hatch doesn't need a handle on it. Why not remove the knob and seal that hole shut?

The problem is water pools on top of the hatch. If it's raining you can hear the water running off when you open the hatch. Stop the pooling of water on the top of the hatch lid and you'll likely stop the leak. That's what the snow saucer does. You could always put a garbage can lid on top of the hatch. Anything that will stop water from pooling on top of the hatch seems to work.

EastCoastCB 05-13-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin97396 (Post 147724)
I'm thinking the roof hatch doesn't need a handle on it. Why not remove the knob and seal that hole shut?

The problem is water pools on top of the hatch. If it's raining you can hear the water running off when you open the hatch. Stop the pooling of water on the top of the hatch lid and you'll likely stop the leak. That's what the snow saucer does. You could always put a garbage can lid on top of the hatch. Anything that will stop water from pooling on top of the hatch seems to work.

Mine didn't leak from any knob, they leaked from all around.

Josiahdr 05-13-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 147726)
Mine didn't leak from any knob, they leaked from all around.

Same with mine. I actually just removed the back one the other day and found out it was leaking from a broken screw. Not to mention there was little to no sealant surrounding it.

Put 20ga sheet metal sealant and screwed it down, no leaks after a storm passed through the next day.

Was trying to find a pic of it but not able to see FB @ work.

captblarney 05-13-2016 12:44 PM

Leaking here too. I toyed with the idea of putting boat hatches in in place of existing roof hatches in order to get a skylight + exit. Unfortunately they're a little pricey and need to be installed on a flat surface so i'd need fabricate a platform to mount them. Also, they can't vent when closed i dont think. Replacement emergency hatches are also pretty expensive as well though.

What other types of roof units have people used?
Lewmar Hatch Low Profile-Size 60 - Star Marine Depot

cadillackid 05-13-2016 01:07 PM

in my last bus it leaked from the trim around the hatch.. black silicone around that trim and a little dot on each screw and it never leaked again.. the bus was stored inside but that thing would leak crazy when driving it in the rain...

first step is to determine where its leaking from.. in my case I got out the garden hose and ran water all around that trim without getting any on top of the hatch.. and when it leaked I knew that at least some of the water weas coming from where the hatch met the roof..

its sometimes easier to find where its NOT leaking from to eliminate those as a source.
-Christopher