School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   better states for buses (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/better-states-for-buses-11030.html)

Dave588 05-22-2015 07:28 PM

better states for buses
 
I am seeing buses for sale in ma, NY and fl. I am thinking bad for corrosion.
anyone have preferences for less rust?

EastCoastCB 05-22-2015 08:43 PM

Kentucky
Georgia

milkmania 05-22-2015 11:20 PM

Oklahoma sucks for availability.... seems like they all end up in Texas... Either that, or they drive them into the dirt, I guess:sad:

The-Breeze 05-22-2015 11:51 PM

Where you at or how far do you want to travel for one?

EastCoastCB 05-23-2015 08:01 AM

One thing I have to say- Florida buses are SOOOOOO overrated.
Both of my buses came from Todd County Ky.

Dave588 05-23-2015 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Breeze (Post 110655)
Where you at or how far do you want to travel for one?

In ma. I am looking towards southeast. Probably nc, SC or ga.

EastCoastCB 05-23-2015 09:12 AM

I've had my eye on this one but no money...
Public Surplus: Auction #1372671

https://cdn.publicsurplus.com/sms/doc...72671/13171247

Scooternj 05-23-2015 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave588 (Post 110678)
In ma. I am looking towards southeast. Probably nc, SC or ga.

Just a word of advise, that East Coast will probably endorse- look for auctions in the interior of the coastal states, as opposed to closer to the water. Sea air is as corrosive as winter road salt, and even more so since it surrounds the bus.

EastCoastCB 05-23-2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooternj (Post 110686)
Just a word of advise, that East Coast will probably endorse- look for auctions in the interior of the coastal states, as opposed to closer to the water. Sea air is as corrosive as winter road salt, and even more so since it surrounds the bus.

YES!
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/31560610.jpg
Thats why I LOVE KY buses. And Ga. Good as it gets in the East, in my opinion.

Here are some buses in OK, by the way.
Public Surplus: Auction #1373641

milkmania 05-23-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 110687)
YES!
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/31560610.jpg
Thats why I LOVE KY buses. And Ga. Good as it gets in the East, in my opinion.

Here are some buses in OK, by the way.
Public Surplus: Auction #1373641

yes, I agree with salty air.

Also, I'm watching every Oklahoma and Arkansas auction I can find....
I live 20 miles from ARK/OK border, near Fort Smith AR.

crazycal 05-23-2015 03:23 PM

I have purchased from CA, OR, TN, TX, AZ and NY. NY was the worst. Mucho rust.

timbrass 05-23-2015 06:00 PM

I thought the best bet was a Democratic state because they have to sell them earlier. My NY bus had quite a bit of rust (which I'm fixing) but the engine is great

crazycal 05-23-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbrass (Post 110757)
I thought the best bet was a Democratic state because they have to sell them earlier. My NY bus had quite a bit of rust (which I'm fixing) but the engine is great


That's funny. Every time I parked my bus from NY, I came back to 5# of my bus laying on the ground because of rust. Are you saying I can thank a Democrat for that?

Dave588 05-23-2015 07:07 PM

Thats a nice bus. Only drawback is wheelchair lift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 110684)


Dave588 05-23-2015 07:09 PM

Yes, I'm looking for inland areas.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooternj (Post 110686)
Just a word of advise, look for auctions in the interior of the coastal states, as opposed to closer to the water. Sea air is as corrosive as winter road salt, and even more so since it surrounds the bus.


timbrass 05-23-2015 07:30 PM

I'm not sure you can blame politicians for the weather, but I suppose they could ban using salt on the roads!

EastCoastCB 05-24-2015 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbrass (Post 110772)
I'm not sure you can blame politicians for the weather, but I suppose they could ban using salt on the roads!

We recently looked at a Michigan bus with some friends.
Typical RUST BUCKET. I think the wheels were almost rusted through, even.
Too far gone to save. Made my AmTran look like bus porn.

Dave588 05-25-2015 03:54 PM

I usually stop on Fort Smith on my way into Oklahoma City.
I think Oklahoma would be good on rust but i'm not sure they replace buses very often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmania (Post 110731)
yes, I agree with salty air.

Also, I'm watching every Oklahoma and Arkansas auction I can find....
I live 20 miles from ARK/OK border, near Fort Smith AR.


Dave588 05-25-2015 03:57 PM

wheelchair lift should be behind rear axle but it's not that bad.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave588 (Post 110770)
Thats a nice bus. Only drawback is wheelchair lift.


milkmania 05-25-2015 04:04 PM

I substitute teach at a local technology center, I've looked their buses over and don't see exterior rust... Under the seats and liner, I have no idea.

I'm involved with my son's school athletics and can say the same about our public school buses.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.