School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   On the Road | Travel, Trips, Camp Sites, Tailgates (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f20/)
-   -   Border crossing. (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f20/border-crossing-11478.html)

Majikfoolbus 07-20-2015 02:17 AM

Border crossing.

I'm new to the Skoolie game and want to take my new bus/old bus up to British columbia canada really soon. Is there and special laws or regulations needed on a converted school bus in canada? Or is it a normal rv check at the border crossing?

slideforlife 07-20-2015 02:51 AM

probably changed since, but i took my skoolie up to whistler from Washington one summer for the glacier (2007). they just checked my papers and gave it the once over on the inside.

gbstewart 07-20-2015 06:55 AM

no rules or reg your welcome to come into Canada, just remember you mite be stereo typed for being in a bus, so you mite get looked at a bit harder.
gbstewart

HolyBus 07-20-2015 01:28 PM

Don't forget your passport. Or has that changed?

Hank's P-O-S 07-20-2015 01:54 PM

If you have air breaks you need an air endorsement, even for an RV.

Scooternj 07-20-2015 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank's P-O-S (Post 117071)
If you have air breaks you need an air endorsement, even for an RV.

That's interesting, because NJ doesn't require it for a "Class A with air," as I asked our (un)friendly DMV...

family wagon 07-20-2015 06:39 PM

It was elsewhere on this forum that somebody mentioned BC requires the air brake endorsement even for RVs because they have so many twisty steep mountain roads and people kept dumping RVs at the bottom of the canyons. I thought they said BC was the only province with this requirement, though..? Not sure.

milkmania 07-20-2015 06:51 PM

oh, this thread is about the "other border":doh:

the friendly one and the one that doesn't get talked about as much:flowers:
it sure looks like beautiful country up there!

REDD 07-20-2015 08:04 PM

Air brake endorsement in Ontario as well.

Leave your fire arms at home as well, I know you US guys like your weapons.

Scooternj 07-20-2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDD (Post 117154)

Only firearms I've got are Nerf™

family wagon 07-20-2015 08:12 PM

In any case, I say: just go get a fully decked-out class A license. Contrary to popular belief, one doesn't actually need a tractor trailer rig to do a class A road test. Any class A vehicle will do... that is, any towing vehicle and trailer with a combined gross rating over 26k pounds and more than 10k of it in the trailer. A skoolie towing a bumper-pull dump trailer for example fits the bill nicely. ;-) A newer pickup truck with a heavy-rated gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer for concrete forms etc does too. Just be sure the trailer is long enough that you can back it easily.

Hank's P-O-S 07-20-2015 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by family wagon (Post 117142)
It was elsewhere on this forum that somebody mentioned BC requires the air brake endorsement even for RVs because they have so many twisty steep mountain roads and people kept dumping RVs at the bottom of the canyons. I thought they said BC was the only province with this requirement, though..? Not sure.

That's what I was thinking of.
Here manitoba, you technically need an air endorsement for any vehicle with air breaks excluding farm trucks.

Although nothing clarifies anything for motor homes, you probably won't need one. Based on an email I receieved.

M1031A1 07-20-2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

In Texas it's a REQUIERMENT, between the wildlife in the country that can eat youhttps://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/guns/sniper.gif, and the wildlife in the city that can shoot youhttps://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/gu...r-shooting.gif, it's a necessity....

Redbear 07-21-2015 01:05 AM

It's been 17 years since I actually crossed over, though I have spied Canada across the Saint Lawrence River a few times since.

At the time, I procured a Canadian proof of insurance card, as I was told before setting out that it was needed. It did not require a special policy, my US agent merely memorialized the existing coverage on a document acceptable to Canadian authorities.

I have "crossed back" a couple of times, though. The US Border Patrol sometimes stops traffic on the Interstate between Lake Placid and Albany to catch anyone suspected of sneaking in through the woods to bypass Ports of Entry. :welcome:

austin1989us 07-21-2015 06:35 AM

Quote:

When I moved back from Alaska we drove through Canada with several rifles (no handguns though). It was pretty easy. I think there's some paperwork you have to do before you go. The kind people at the border crossing didn't even ask to see them. They just said not to point them at anybody.

REDD 07-21-2015 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1031A1 (Post 117209)
In Texas it's a REQUIERMENT, between the wildlife in the country that can eat youhttps://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/guns/sniper.gif, and the wildlife in the city that can shoot youhttps://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/gu...r-shooting.gif, it's a necessity....

Wasn't trying to be negative, things are a little different here as far as guns go.

Did an ATV ride in Putney KY and Oliver Springs Tenn [atv forum get together] and some of the local guys and Bamma boys had loaded pieces under the seat of the ATV's and pick ups. When they came up here to ride we sorta had to mention it to them.....they were going to bring them.

I'd like to get down to Texas for the "MUD NATS" before I'm to old.....no sleep at that event, lol.

Stu & Filo. T 07-26-2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

But my firearms are the only people who understand me. :popcorn:

shepd 10-15-2015 08:15 PM

If a country accepts your drivers license (and Canada accepts all US licenses) they accept whatever that license entitles you to drive, so long as the vehicle is not in some way illegal to drive in that province (eg: Transport truck with no limiter in Ontario, triple tow in most places, etc).

That means if you may drive something with air brakes where you got your license, you may continue to drive it as such in Canada up until the point where you would be required to get a local license (I believe that would be 12 continuous months after being considered a landed immigrant, but I'm not sure on that point).

Otherwise, my Ontario G license would entitle me to drive something with air brakes in states that are OK with that (it would not--I would require a Z endorsement). And those from states that don't have air brake endorsement would not be able to drive a transport truck through Canada.

I know of only one US state that, for a very short time, decided they would not accept licenses from outside of the US (Florida). They required an international license. That went away almost instantly when they wondered where the snowbirds went...

crazycal 10-15-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooternj (Post 117159)
Only firearms I've got are Nerf™

Living in NJ, did you need a background check to buy that Nerf gun? I think NJ is about as bad as CA when it comes to gun laws.

HighwayPirate 11-30-2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDD (Post 117361)
Wasn't trying to be negative, things are a little different here as far as guns go.

Did an ATV ride in Putney KY and Oliver Springs Tenn [atv forum get together] and some of the local guys and Bamma boys had loaded pieces under the seat of the ATV's and pick ups. When they came up here to ride we sorta had to mention it to them.....they were going to bring them.

I'd like to get down to Texas for the "MUD NATS" before I'm to old.....no sleep at that event, lol.

It's been years, but we went from the States in to Canada, don't remember the Providence, but brought rifles and pistols and then caught a small plane that dropped us off in a remote area to hunt for 10 days. This was obviously before the passport requirements, but it wasn't an issue.
Has things changed that much? Don't they still hunt up there or just don't allow foreigners to do it? More of a fisherman myself, but would like to bring a few guns as after a couple months around Vancouver Island we plan to head to Alaska for several months.

Trask97140 03-17-2016 12:13 PM

Thanks for the information. Im gathering with my class C, and Bus titled as "Motor Home" with all the seats removed will have no issues crossing the border up north! Headed that way in April!

Cheers

GucciLaine96 03-17-2016 03:36 PM

Canada>USA

I'm from the great white north and I plan on bringing my rig to 'merica for a few extensive trips. I only have a regular car licence (class 5) because that's all I need for my rig (it has no air brakes and is 2axle). Is there anything I need to do?

gbstewart 03-17-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GucciLaine96 (Post 139535)
I'm from the great white north and I plan on bringing my rig to 'merica for a few extensive trips. I only have a regular car licence (class 5) because that's all I need for my rig (it has no air brakes and is 2axle). Is there anything I need to do?

I have crossed over from Ontario to Minnesota with our bus , no problems, just don't bring any oranges or dog food.
gbstewart

Robin97396 03-17-2016 05:10 PM

Yeaaaaah, we already got oranges and dog food down here.

It gets kind of technical saying what type of license you might need here in the US. As you've read it varies from state to state. I'll be getting the endorsement for two reasons, I do have air brakes and I understand that to cross into Mexico you need a bus endorsement = air brakes endorsement = class "B" license in Oregon. Don't know the classifications for other states or countries, but it comes down to air brakes and/or simply being endorsed for a vehicle of bus size. Usually not complicated.

PNW_Steve 06-13-2016 08:23 PM

HMMM....

I have visited canada in my converted Eagle.....

RCMP (royal canadian mountable pussies) did about $3k in damage to cabinets, woodwork and flooring before the sent me on my way.

I swore that I would never set foot in Canada again. I lied... After 16 years I did finally return to pick up a used truck that I bought.

They locked me, my Wife, my dog & cat in a room while they screwed with my bus. About two hours. When they were done tearing things up they thanked me for my time and sent me on my way.

It is a good thing that I left my guns at home or I may have gone to jail for shooting a couple of rcmp.

The bright side: I don't have an air brake endorsement and they didn't have a problem with that. (Ontario).

Personally, I will not ever take an RV of any sort to canada again.

I doubt that particular experience is all that typical as I had visited canada dozens of times in my car or pickup with no trouble other that the occasional bad tempered or arrogant border crossing official.

Good luck.

cadillackid 06-13-2016 08:53 PM

we have part of one of our companies in canada.. I get the 3rd degree coming or going.. for a Canadian company!! so now I just refuse... they can keep their cold air and their cold attitude up north as far as im concerned
-Christopher

PNW_Steve 06-13-2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 152240)
we have part of one of our companies in canada.. I get the 3rd degree coming or going.. for a Canadian company!! so now I just refuse... they can keep their cold air and their cold attitude up north as far as im concerned
-Christopher

Interesting...

I am generally quiet when it comes to my experiences traveling North. It is good to hear that I am not alone.

Alan N 06-13-2016 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GucciLaine96 (Post 139535)

The folks at the border (Canada or US) generally don't care about what license you have.
Sometimes the dot guy is waiting at the border, he might care. But I have never had the dot mess with my bus.
Our Gillig is slightly radioactive however, that often gets the American's attention.:smile:

rock649 07-30-2016 01:40 PM

If your bus has air brakes...you need an air brake endorsement in Canada. The Canadian Rockies are no joke...especially in BC. Try a 10% grade for 5 miles with a couple 14% switchbacks and single lanes...busy traffic and a killer turn at the bottom with a 100 foot river gorge. If you can do that without lighting your tires on fire and swimming...come on down!! you still need an air endorsement no matter where you go.

PNW_Steve 08-06-2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock649 (Post 157182)
If your bus has air brakes...you need an air brake endorsement in Canada. The Canadian Rockies are no joke...especially in BC. Try a 10% grade for 5 miles with a couple 14% switchbacks and single lanes...busy traffic and a killer turn at the bottom with a 100 foot river gorge. If you can do that without lighting your tires on fire and swimming...come on down!! you still need an air endorsement no matter where you go.

No doubt that complying with appropriate regulations is generally considered a good thing.

On occasion I may choose to "bend the rules" a bit. Sometimes I drive 63mph in a 60mph zone or I may even drive a 63' rig through a state with a 60' max. If the states that I regularly drive in required the endorsement I would certainly have it. However, it is not required here.

Amazingly, my air brakes worked fine driving the Rockies, Bitteroot, and San Juan Mountians even without the benefit of an endorsement.

cadillackid 08-06-2016 02:58 PM

so if i travel through certain states i should be stopping in each state and getting endorsements on my ohio license for other states for my air brake bus??

im trying to figure how that works... i would have to stop when i got into canada nd somehow take a test so I can drive the bus in canada?

-Christopher

family wagon 08-06-2016 06:14 PM

I don't expect any state will (or even could) put an endorsement on a driver license issued by another state.

Some states don't offer an air brake endorsement. Utah, for example. So far as I can tell any person with a Utah class A-C commercial driver license is licensed for air brakes, unless they have the "no air brakes" restriction printed on the license. There isn't an air brake endorsement available for Utah's class D (non-commercial) license.

So far as I'm aware, within the US all the states have reciprocity with their driver licenses. This would mean that if you're traveling outside the state where your license is issued, the state you're visiting would uphold the privileges and restrictions your state has attached to your license. If your state is like Utah and does not offer an air brake endorsement for non-commercial licenses, and does not require a commercial license for air-braked vehicles in private use, then I expect any state you might visit should honor that too.

Canada may be an entirely different story. I don't have any idea how international driver license reciprocity works.

Blueman 08-06-2016 10:41 PM

I have my class A with air brake endorsement. Also i kept my passenger endorsement for when i drove school bus for 2 years. My bus dont have air brakes and its a manual transmission. Still dont have a desire to get harrased by the Canadian boarder patrol cuz i drive a bus. Plenty of states to visit before i try and venture to Alaska. Thanks guys for this thread. Very informative

PNW_Steve 08-07-2016 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by family wagon (Post 158017)
I don't expect any state will (or even could) put an endorsement on a driver license issued by another state.

Some states don't offer an air brake endorsement. Utah, for example. So far as I can tell any person with a Utah class A-C commercial driver license is licensed for air brakes, unless they have the "no air brakes" restriction printed on the license. There isn't an air brake endorsement available for Utah's class D (non-commercial) license.

So far as I'm aware, within the US all the states have reciprocity with their driver licenses. This would mean that if you're traveling outside the state where your license is issued, the state you're visiting would uphold the privileges and restrictions your state has attached to your license. If your state is like Utah and does not offer an air brake endorsement for non-commercial licenses, and does not require a commercial license for air-braked vehicles in private use, then I expect any state you might visit should honor that too.

Canada may be an entirely different story. I don't have any idea how international driver license reciprocity works.

Well put!

Similar in Washington except if you have a CDL and want to drive an air brake equipped vehicle you do have to pass the air brake portion of the exam. If you don't then you are restricted to hydraulic brakes. RV's and private(non-commercial) vehicles under 26000lbs are specifically exempt from the CDL requirement.

cadillackid 08-07-2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNW_Steve (Post 158118)
Well put!

Similar in Washington except if you have a CDL and want to drive an air brake equipped vehicle you do have to pass the air brake portion of the exam. If you don't then you are restricted to hydraulic brakes. RV's and private(non-commercial) vehicles under 26000lbs are specifically exempt from the CDL requirement.

in ohio ANY RV even over 26k lbs with air brakes is exempt from any and all CDL requirements... im an ohio resident with ohio License.. if my bus was not Titles and tagged as an RV then I would be required to have CDL-B because im over 26k with air brakes.. but titling and registering as an RV exempts me.. so my standard driver license is valid to drive the bus.. being registered as an RV though means i cannot legally carry passengers or freight or any profit, business, or church.. at least not "offically".. however "my friends and I can take a bus ride for fun" legally without issue and my insurance covers such... same as driving my car with friends to dinner..

so if I took my bus with air brakes and GVWR of 27,500 to washington and got stopped, would they simply say "ok you are ohio you are good to go" or would it be "take a ride downtown your license is incorrect....?"

-Christopher

family wagon 08-07-2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNW_Steve (Post 158118)
Similar in Washington except if you have a CDL and want to drive an air brake equipped vehicle you do have to pass the air brake portion of the exam. If you don't then you are restricted to hydraulic brakes.

That's actually the same as in Utah. I can't imagine a reason why a person would sit for the CDL exam and skip the five or so questions for the air brake section -- but a person technically could choose the air brake restriction and skip (or flunk) the associated questions on the exam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 158120)
so if I took my bus with air brakes and GVWR of 27,500 to washington and got stopped, would they simply say "ok you are ohio you are good to go" or would it be "take a ride downtown your license is incorrect....?"

I haven't heard of a person being arrested over a license class violation. A citation, perhaps, and probably require the vehicle to be parked where the stop occurred until a licensed driver can be located or else tow the vehicle away. An honest explanation of "I believe I'm licensed appropriately in my state and understood it would be honored while visiting other states" might get a person off with a warning.

Are there actually any US states with restrictions about non-CDL drivers operating heavy private/non-commercial air-braked vehicles? I really don't know if this is all just theory, or if there's really a state where it could be an issue.

BusFiend 08-07-2016 11:22 PM

Texas has non-CDL classes of Licenses. An RV of greater than 26k lbs, driven for personal use, requires a non-CDL class B license.

prairiescot 08-07-2016 11:53 PM

If you hold an operator's license from your home jurisdiction, and you are driving a vehicle which meets the requirements of your home state, you will have no difficulty driving anywhere in Canada. You will not be grilled about your license class or what your RV used to be. If your vehicle is being operated "For Profit" or in a commercial capacity, you will have to be licensed in your home state for that activity.
If you elect to change your residency to Canada, you will be expected to comply with that provinces regulation. Just don't attempt to bring firearms over the border.

turf 08-08-2016 12:21 AM

if your drivers license is valid for your vehicle at home, its valid in Canada. when seeking a BC driver's license, they have multiple categories with and with out air brake endorsments. that doesnt matter as long as you arent emigrating.

the problems you will run into have to do with your insurance, your pets, your children, your firearms, possible fruits and veggies. do you have proper documentation for all of them. you'll need it.

cadillackid 08-08-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turf (Post 158153)
if your drivers license is valid for your vehicle at home, its valid in Canada. when seeking a BC driver's license, they have multiple categories with and with out air brake endorsments. that doesnt matter as long as you arent emigrating.

the problems you will run into have to do with your insurance, your pets, your children, your firearms, possible fruits and veggies. do you have proper documentation for all of them. you'll need it.

ive had issues with that just travelling back and forth by PLANE!! and one of my paychecks is written by a company owned and operated in canada... no reason to bring guns across... i have no kids, pets, and I dont like fruits n veggies but by gosh the border patrol seems to think IP telephones and macBook Pros are a Threat to them somewhow lol..

-Christopher

PNW_Steve 08-08-2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 158120)
in ohio ANY RV even over 26k lbs with air brakes is exempt from any and all CDL requirements... im an ohio resident with ohio License.. if my bus was not Titles and tagged as an RV then I would be required to have CDL-B because im over 26k with air brakes.. but titling and registering as an RV exempts me.. so my standard driver license is valid to drive the bus.. being registered as an RV though means i cannot legally carry passengers or freight or any profit, business, or church.. at least not "offically".. however "my friends and I can take a bus ride for fun" legally without issue and my insurance covers such... same as driving my car with friends to dinner..

-Christopher

I wasn't clear. In Washington RV's are exempt from CDL requirements. Private vehicles such as trucks are exempt if gvw is 26k or less are exempt. Both exemptions assume non-commercial use.

You would be in fine shape in Washington.

PNW_Steve 08-08-2016 10:58 AM

My own experience:

250k miles over six years in a 40' Eagle bus towing a car or pickup.

Weight 40-45k lbs

Length: slightly over 65'

Air brakes.

I visited 44 US states and 4 Canadian provinces.

I had zero problems with length, weight, equipment or licensing

I don't know it to be absolute fact but the statement above regarding reciprocity makes sense to me.

PigPen 07-03-2018 06:07 AM

I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I'm curious to see if people think I'll run into any problems.

When we registered our bus, the notary suggested we do it as a station wagon to keep things simple. PA has all kinds of rules for retitling and registering as a motorhome, and we just recently made it to the point that we could potentially retitle as a motorhome (we have three of the criteria for sure, and they would need to count either a window a/c or a composting toilet we made ourselves towards our list).

Anyway, I completely forgot about this until I was thinking about our upcoming border crossing. I've been stopped by the police who asked questions about the station wagon thing before, but they always just sent me on my way. Do you think this could be a problem at the border?

Trail Fairy 07-03-2018 09:15 AM

Do you have a smaller bus to be able to call it a station wagon? In WI we are trying to meet the requirements for my 71 passenger bus conversation to be called an RV. Other option was "passenger bus" which was crazy pricy to register compared to RV.

PigPen 07-03-2018 02:32 PM

Yes. Ford e450.

Tcoz95 01-03-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycal (Post 126440)
Living in NJ, did you need a background check to buy that Nerf gun? I think NJ is about as bad as CA when it comes to gun laws.

boy this aged well.... So far I've seen you guys havnt complied with your unlawful and unconstitutional magazine ban. Molan Labe brother.