School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/)
-   -   Stumped about getting insurance (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/stumped-about-getting-insurance-13533.html)

Dancast9999 04-04-2016 07:09 PM

Stumped about getting insurance
 
I am in a bit of a panic about insurance. I purchase a bus recently and need to register it soon (and provide proof of insurance at time of registration). My bus is currently under review at The General to be insured as a motorhome, but I'm pretty anxious if that doesnt work out then I wont be able to drive it even home.

I'm in CA and purchased an already converted Skoolie. It's currently titled as a Motorhome in California.

I attempted to purchase a Commercial Policy via Progressive but they specifically asked if it was converted to a motorhome/rv, and when i said yes they refused coverage.

I'm more than anxious if The General declines me I wont have anywhere to get insurance. Does anyone know of any other insurance companies besides progressive that offer Commercial Policies for Personal Use?

Stu & Filo. T 04-04-2016 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancast9999 (Post 141798)
I am in a bit of a panic about insurance. I purchase a bus recently and need to register it soon (and provide proof of insurance at time of registration). My bus is currently under review at The General to be insured as a motorhome, but I'm pretty anxious if that doesnt work out then I wont be able to drive it even home.

I'm in CA and purchased an already converted Skoolie. It's currently titled as a Motorhome in California.

I attempted to purchase a Commercial Policy via Progressive but they specifically asked if it was converted to a motorhome/rv, and when i said yes they refused coverage.

I'm more than anxious if The General declines me I wont have anywhere to get insurance. Does anyone know of any other insurance companies besides progressive that offer Commercial Policies for Personal Use?

Where in Ca, Vacaville here

Scooternj 04-04-2016 07:25 PM

Check Allstate, State Farm, Good Sam

dgorila1 04-04-2016 07:44 PM

Why are you shopping for a commercial policy if it's for private use? And if it's already titled as an rv than don't mention to the insurance company it's a converted bus, just tell them it's an rv. Just ask about getting liability insurance, might be easier than trying to get full coverage. Last resort, in some states you can pay a fee at registration to register it without insurance. In Virginia the fee is about $500 and you drive away with your tags, all good to go. Not ideal but will allow you to drive the rig. Check Farm Bureau Insurance too.

Stu & Filo. T 04-04-2016 07:59 PM

I got ins. Thru Good Sam at $230.00 a yr.

Robin97396 04-04-2016 09:09 PM

There are policies available at the companies mentioned.

It's not a bus, it's a mystery machine. I call my a maxi-van. Like a soccer dad, or grandpa. DMV agreed this is one big damn van. Maybe that's what I should call it? Dam Van! No, I'll stick with Maxi-van. No I'm not going to paint it white.

cadillackid 04-04-2016 09:33 PM

"International S3800" worked like a champ for me through progressive commercial... I told them its a Bus with less than 15 passenger capabilities..

progressive wont insure converted skoolies by name.. however they will insure busses for private non commercial use to an individual...

good sam wants your conversion to be complete. including a bathroom functional..
-Christopher

Dancast9999 04-05-2016 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T (Post 141799)
Where in Ca, Vacaville here

I'm in Brisbane just south of San Francisco. Once I sort out insurance I need to find a place to park/store this 34 ft bluebird close to San Francisco. The bus is nearly as big as my apartment.

I was only shopping for commercial liability per the suggestions I saw on this site. I reached out to State Farm & All State for RV insurance and I'm waiting a response. Good Sam is the one currently reviewing my pictures to see if it's "Converted Enough".

I havent been intentionally giving too much information when talking with insurance brokers/agents but I havent outright lied either. After they ask Make, Model, Year for some reason they always seem to ask if it is a converted bus... Should I just say "No"?

I'm reading about Surety Bonds now. If these RV policies fall through that seems like my only option left (as I don't have $35,000 cash deposit for the DMV).

As a warning to all those with Progressive Commercial for Personal Use: I spoke with two agents and they specifically said that motorhome school buses are not covered. My commercial quote was rather expensive. I was hoping to pay for it and get it activated, but Progressive was very clear in that their policy does not cover Buses that were converted enough to be considered motorhome. I would hate to see someone paying over a thousand per year and NOT actually be covered if something were to happen.

Scooternj 04-05-2016 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancast9999 (Post 141843)
I was only shopping for commercial liability per the suggestions I saw on this site. I reached out to State Farm & All State for RV insurance and I'm waiting a response. Good Sam is the one currently reviewing my pictures to see if it's "Converted Enough".

Have you been doing this online, on the phone, or in person? Online won't always get you what you need, when you need it. In person may actually be faster. And that's funny about Good Sam. When I called them, I got insurance *for* the conversion, prior to converting- but it was Progressive who dropped me faster than a hot potato like everyone else.

cadillackid 04-05-2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooternj (Post 141844)
Have you been doing this online, on the phone, or in person? Online won't always get you what you need, when you need it. In person may actually be faster. And that's funny about Good Sam. When I called them, I got insurance *for* the conversion, prior to converting- but it was Progressive who dropped me faster than a hot potato like everyone else.

progressive RV insurance WILL drop you.. progressive COMMERCIAL will not.. however if you r driving record is not PERFECT then commercial insurance will be EXPENSIVE!!..

maybe my case is different since im keeping my bus as close to a bus as I can legally get away with in ohio...

an "artist bus" is a good description.. progressive said tgey very much cover school busses for personal use... again like others have said, this is talking to them on the phone in person...

my bus wont look like a camper even though i'll have the minimums for a camper as defined by the state.

if you have a full conversion with working bathroom and bathing facilities then good sam seems to be the way to go...

everyone's bus is different and I think thats part of the problem.. insurance companies are designed for "one size fits all" approach..

this is very much like class-car hotrodding.. where heavy modifications are made to the vehicle so it no longer fits anything close to what the car was originally... insurance companies often give owners trouble to heavily modded cars.. for similar reasns as they do with skoolies.. the vehicle's design purpose and specs have gone out the window thus making them feel the risk is much higher...

to *ME* it doesnt make much sense for converted skoolies.. as in a bus the liability factor is MUCH higher.. if I as an amateur flip my bus over with 15 people aboard, the costs are going to go through the roof (medical) compared to their payout because a bunch of metal and wood got smashed and less medical (usually 4 or less on an RV).. but I dont pertain to know how insurance calculates the risk..

-Christopher

Stu & Filo. T 04-05-2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancast9999 (Post 141843)
I'm in Brisbane just south of San Francisco. Once I sort out insurance I need to find a place to park/store this 34 ft bluebird close to San Francisco. The bus is nearly as big as my apartment.

I was only shopping for commercial liability per the suggestions I saw on this site. I reached out to State Farm & All State for RV insurance and I'm waiting a response. Good Sam is the one currently reviewing my pictures to see if it's "Converted Enough".

I havent been intentionally giving too much information when talking with insurance brokers/agents but I havent outright lied either. After they ask Make, Model, Year for some reason they always seem to ask if it is a converted bus... Should I just say "No"?

I'm reading about Surety Bonds now. If these RV policies fall through that seems like my only option left (as I don't have $35,000 cash deposit for the DMV).

As a warning to all those with Progressive Commercial for Personal Use: I spoke with two agents and they specifically said that motorhome school buses are not covered. My commercial quote was rather expensive. I was hoping to pay for it and get it activated, but Progressive was very clear in that their policy does not cover Buses that were converted enough to be considered motorhome. I would hate to see someone paying over a thousand per year and NOT actually be covered if something were to happen.


"Good Sam is the one currently reviewing my pictures to see if it's "Converted Enough"


If it's already titled as a RV I'd say yes tell them it's converted, That you bought it that way & if they ask who did the conversion tell them you don't know.

Be honest with your answers but don't divulge more than they ask.You should be going for liability only.

jester 04-10-2016 06:08 AM

yup, good sam only will cover liability on a conversion. also they have a not fully converted policy , you just have to pay a fee.

Josiahdr 04-10-2016 09:00 AM

I used AIS https://www.aisinsurance.com/product...onversion.aspx got private noncommercial insurance when I bought it last Aug to drive home. Will be using them again in the next few months after it is registered as a motorhome in SD.

Robin97396 04-10-2016 12:01 PM

It's interesting that some of us are getting turned down by the same parent company that is insuring other converted buses.

My current success at gaining insurance was through the online multiple quote folks that reach out to a number of insurance companies. It looks like it doesn't work when you register all your information because you don't get an immediate response. If you visit the insurance companies listed on the multiple quote site you'll have to enter your vehicle and personal information again, but a week or two later you get snail mail responses from the insurance companies with you correct vin #s and a policy all set up. It pays to pay attention to what looks like junk mail.

8window 04-18-2016 12:47 PM

Many of us have found that Farm Bureau provides skoolies insurance...

slaughridge85 04-18-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josiahdr (Post 142475)
I used AIS https://www.aisinsurance.com/product...onversion.aspx got private noncommercial insurance when I bought it last Aug to drive home. Will be using them again in the next few months after it is registered as a motorhome in SD.

We went through AIS as well. Very helpful people there.

Dancast9999 04-18-2016 04:42 PM

As a follow-up, I ended up being insured with The General (Good Sam). It was converted enough for their underwriters approval.

Robin97396 04-18-2016 09:24 PM

I have to take back what I said about State Farm. They just sent me a cancellation notice. Second time I've been cancelled after purchasing a policy within the first month.

Doesn't Farm Bureau just steer us to Progressive's commercial policy?

jester 04-19-2016 05:28 AM

after much research, ive found that you can get a commercial policy from progressive, but that is NOT as an RV, if they find out your converting to rv they will drop you. let alone if you got in accident and they found out then that it was conversion it wouldnt be covered.
AIS, and Good Sam are about the only 2 that will start new policy for bus conversion.

cadillackid 04-19-2016 06:00 AM

what determines a conversion? is the fact that I plan to have a mini frig and a blanket and pillow on a "table" considered a conversion?

yet I'll still have a bunch of seats...

its definitely NOT enough conversion for AIS or good sam as they require some sort of "plumbing"...

seems those using skoolies as toy haulers, mobile artists studios, or other non camping activities end up in a truly gray area.. esp if its not a full conversion but simply a nice enclosed space to haul the classic car and your family or perform arts and crafts..

-Christopher


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.